• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joe Person: Taylor Moton not likely to return next year, Curtis Samuel might also leave

TheSpecialJuan

19 minutes ago, Jared Patterson said:

Id be terrified though to not have a tackle, especially if we indeed draft a QB.

And so would the owner and GM.  It is not happening.  Moton will get tagged or paid.  KK, Okung, Weatherly, etc.  there is plenty of dead wood to find change in the cushions for Moton.  Thompson's deal is a bad one and cutting him would save $11m after June 1. 

They are worried about the decreased cap and nobody is making moves right now--except MH.

Here is the logic--if the cap decreases, there are fewer coins in the market.  Moton will not be paid $17m.  The market will not be there for free agents.  They will be cheaper--in theory at least.  So why pay Moton on this season's cap (based on last year's revenues?) 

Person is selling subscriptions. No NFL team is leaking personnel information during week 13 when there is so much unresolved. 

6 hours ago, vorbis said:

ok my understanding from previous speculation was that they would re-sign Okung and let Moton walk. this list has Okung as most likely gone. if they let both walk, there's at least a logic to it. continue the rebuild path, stock up on comp picks, and grow the team with rookie contracts. not the way I'd go personally, but at least I can see a through-line of actual thought.

It's more or less how Joe persons would do it. That would give him 1000s of click bait topics to discuss. 

People are getting way too hung up on this clickbait designation. I'm sorry for my role in that. I'm not accusing him of the traditional "clickbait" where you flagrantly deceive your readers with a headline that doesn't match the substance of your article, but all journalists are going to present their information in as salacious and interesting a way as possible; that's just writing 101. 

As a sports writer, you find out what you can, limited as it may be, and present it to the public with a semblance of authority and insider info to make what ultimately amounts to an educated opinion piece, only slightly more legitimate than someone posting on here, seem like prophetic gospel. Perhaps much of that is the Huddle's fault. Even Person seems to admit that he thinks this is the likely outcome and people here are acting like Hurney told him "No way in hell Moton is coming back. Not over my dead body Joe!" 

Like I said all along, what it ultimately boils down to is Joe knowing there are no current talks, the cap is contracting, and Moton expects to command a lot of money so his opinion is that means Moton is more than likely not to be resigned. He's entitled to that and it's not illogical but still ultimately just his informed speculation. So for now I'd recommend stop having a panic attack that it's a foregone conclusion based on that article and realize it's still several months before the start of free agency. 

16 hours ago, vorbis said:

ok my understanding from previous speculation was that they would re-sign Okung and let Moton walk. this list has Okung as most likely gone. if they let both walk, there's at least a logic to it. continue the rebuild path, stock up on comp picks, and grow the team with rookie contracts. not the way I'd go personally, but at least I can see a through-line of actual thought.

Then why throw $90M in cap around this year and next on non-rookies and throw away the most valuable comp pick you had and a couple others? I agree with you on the rebuild but Moton, Samuel and Moore are 26, 24 and 23, they should be the guys (Moton/Moore at a minimum) you build around with comp picks and extra cap space and keep adding those rookie deals.

I fail to see any real line of thought of an end game, it’s been just more of the 2018/2019 Marty ball of continuing to throw bad money at mediocre vets and still not winning and trying it again with more wasted cap. The only thing I’m optimistic about is the draft and seeing it be a complete opposite of 2018/2019. I see a plan in the 2020 draft which gives me hope. I didn’t see any plan in the FA period. Sure, Anderson and Kerr worked out, but that was a drop in the bucket of what we spent for 4-8.

What worries me is also winning a couple more games and having to trade up for a QB, like that useless week 17 win against NO. Yes, we got Burns in a stroke of luck (again, thanks Giants, WFT and Atlanta) but the 7 or 8 spots we dropped meant Marty had to throw away pick 77 to trade up to get Little.

2 hours ago, Peon Awesome said:

People are getting way too hung up on this clickbait designation. I'm sorry for my role in that. I'm not accusing him of the traditional "clickbait" where you flagrantly deceive your readers with a headline that doesn't match the substance of your article, but all journalists are going to present their information in as salacious and interesting a way as possible; that's just writing 101. 

As a sports writer, you find out what you can, limited as it may be, and present it to the public with a semblance of authority and insider info to make what ultimately amounts to an educated opinion piece, only slightly more legitimate than someone posting on here, seem like prophetic gospel. Perhaps much of that is the Huddle's fault. Even Person seems to admit that he thinks this is the likely outcome and people here are acting like Hurney told him "No way in hell Moton is coming back. Not over my dead body Joe!" 

Like I said all along, what it ultimately boils down to is Joe knowing there are no current talks, the cap is contracting, and Moton expects to command a lot of money so his opinion is that means Moton is more than likely not to be resigned. He's entitled to that and it's not illogical but still ultimately just his informed speculation. So for now I'd recommend stop having a panic attack that it's a foregone conclusion based on that article and realize it's still several months before the start of free agency. 

Why is it so hard to understand that he has sources within the organization? Also it’s not just him. Like stated before multiple people are saying the same things along with Zack with RR. These are people who have been right almost every time they have had insight on a situation (I can’t name a time RR gave bad info). They aren’t saying it’s a done deal, but that odds are heavily in favor of us not re signing Moton. No one believes this is a good idea, but likely what will be happening. This exact same thing happened when RR told us about Cam and everyone freaked out calling them liars and we all know what happened with that. It’s not just Joes opinion of the factors you listed, it is multiple people with sources within the organization saying it.

2 hours ago, *FreeFua* said:

Link?

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-salary-cap-conundrum-three-major-consequences-of-projected-decrease

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/25/several-teams-in-rough-cap-shape-in-2021/

You see, the contracts that are restricting teams are the long term deals just signed.  I have been saying that we have a bunch of contracts we can void/cut and sign our best OL.

All other teams will be cutting these big contracts to make room for a reduced cap--Like the Saints and Falcons.  It is a terrible year to "test the market" because veterans will be flooding it.  Supply and demand.

Supply and demand link: https://www.britannica.com/topic/supply-and-demand

So to adapt to a shrinking payroll, teams will throw big contracts overboard if and when they can. Companies do that when revenues take a hit.  Take a look at Carolina--what big contracts can we trash?

KK Short--Pre-June 1:  $10m; Post June 1:  $15m

Robbie Anderson:  Pre June 1 Cut:  $8m

Shaq Thompson:  Post June 1 Cut:  $11m

Stephen Weatherly:  Pre June 1 Cut:  $6m

So the Panthers could cut KK and Weatherly pre-june 1 and re-sign Moton.  

The smarter move, however, would be to   Cut Weatherly, clearing another $6m.  Rework/extend Anderson's deal with the understanding that there will be a back-loaded extension, clearing about $8m. Tag Moton, with the intention of working that salary into a long-term contract ($15m)   After June 1, cut Short and Thompson, clearing over $25m, and apply some of that the Moton contract, reworked to be team friendly in 2021.     Let Shaq (after being cut) and Samuel (if you cannot re-sign him) test the market, and sign either or both to team-friendly deals.  But you keep Moton.  You leverage this market against the players' current market salaries--you do not pay 2020 market salaries for 2021---when the ceiling is caving in.

There is no way Person would have inside info related to all the capologist will do.   Moton at the expected tag rate of $14.8 is actually lower than he might get per year in a long term deal, so it is foolish not to do it, when all you have to do is cut KK and Weatherly.  Are they waiting for them to be released from IR to avoid injury settlements?  Probably--Are they waiting to see what the cap figure will be?  Probably.

Link about Moton and how stupid it would be to let him go:  https://catcrave.com/2020/12/02/panthers-news-taylor-moton-named-2021-free-agent-team/

You do not keep Short and Weatherly and let Moton walk.  On no planet does that make sense.  And if you cut Thompson and send his ridiculous salary into the abyss that will be a flooded free agency, you save $11m.  Anderson needs an extension so you can cut KK post June 1, saving $5m by cutting him that way.  There are a lot of balls in the air, and person is trying to focus on 1.

Have you all seen the top salaries on our roster?  Great time to get rid of some of them.

1 hour ago, WarPanthers89 said:

Why is it so hard to understand that he has sources within the organization? Also it’s not just him. Like stated before multiple people are saying the same things along with Zack with RR. These are people who have been right almost every time they have had insight on a situation (I can’t name a time RR gave bad info). They aren’t saying it’s a done deal, but that odds are heavily in favor of us not re signing Moton. No one believes this is a good idea, but likely what will be happening. This exact same thing happened when RR told us about Cam and everyone freaked out calling them liars and we all know what happened with that. It’s not just Joes opinion of the factors you listed, it is multiple people with sources within the organization saying it.

Ok but do any of these sources actually say that the Panthers aren't interested in resigning Moton? Because no one has seemed to post that. Can someone please link or copy and paste that content? It very well may be somewhere and I just haven't seen it but so far all anyone has posted is what I've already laid out. Which fars fall short of saying the Panthers have no interest in trying to resign Moton.

Archived