• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I'd give Haskins a look this offseason.

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, MasterAwesome said:

If you’re talking about that Rhule quote that was along the lines of “We already know what we have in Grier” that sounded like a damning indictment, that was pretty misleading out of context. Here’s the full quote:

"Will has deserved to have a chance to play, it just hasn't timed out right for him. He's practiced really well and prepared really well. We could go the whole year not getting Will in the game and I would know exactly what we have with him because I see it day in and day out. I have no doubt about what he can do. He just has to go out and do it when the time comes. But I want to make sure I say it again, I think Will has a fantastic future and if he plays this week I have no doubt that he can play well and help us win."

Ironically he even says in his quote that Grier has deserved a chance to play lol. I’m not saying Grier isn’t a bust, but that his feelings on Grier were mischaracterized by a snippet of a quote being tweeted out by Alaina or whoever it was. It sounded bad initially, but the entire quote is pretty complimentary...not that I would expect him to trash Grier publicly or anything.

Fair enough but I still think that quote rings true simply because we didn't see Will when it came time. Surely we all don't think that is because PJ Walker is a stud? I focused in that that same element when he said it because it felt like that was the "reading between the lines" aspect of what he was saying.

But, maybe I am wrong and Will ends up being a starter or #2 QB for us next season. I sort of doubt it.

1 hour ago, MasterAwesome said:

Also, another point of clarification: we didn’t trade up for Grier. He was taken with our original 3rd round compensatory pick (100th overall). You’re probably mixing up the Greg Little trade-up.

I am, thank you for the clarification. I am not sure why that is imprinted in my brain incorrectly. 

41 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

That also might be an "old guy" take on the way social media has wormed it's way into the modern lives of young people. I don't know that I would necessarily blame it solely on the social media element, but he is completely correct about some of the guys just not taking it seriously. I think not every player that comes into the NFL had to have the sort of work ethic that it takes at the professional level. You can't just show up and be better than everyone else like you did in high school or college. Everyone is good in the NFL. You need to approach the game as if it is your job and you need be passionate about being the best you can be at your job. 

I think that a lot of the guys that don't make it that are clearly lacking that kind of passion for the game. I don't think that is anything new or modern. 

I agree with him to an extent because these young guys have seen the empires that guys like Jordan, Kobe, Lebron, Mahomes, TB12, Manning, ARod, Magic have built for themselves and they want a piece too. But those empires are built on success, not failure. Nobody is dropping 250 bucks on a pair of Jamarcus Russell cleats, but Mahomes has 10 different designs. For 99.9% of the people, you cant be a success and never put in the work. Sure there's a prodigy with a gift every now and then but that is the exception not the rule. 

52 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

That also might be an "old guy" take on the way social media has wormed it's way into the modern lives of young people. I don't know that I would necessarily blame it solely on the social media element, but he is completely correct about some of the guys just not taking it seriously. I think not every player that comes into the NFL had to have the sort of work ethic that it takes at the professional level. You can't just show up and be better than everyone else like you did in high school or college. Everyone is good in the NFL. You need to approach the game as if it is your job and you need be passionate about being the best you can be at your job. 

I think that a lot of the guys that don't make it that are clearly lacking that kind of passion for the game. I don't think that is anything new or modern. 

Thing for me is it's not really new

There have always been guys who cared more about being famous than being good. Hollywood Henderson was an example from when I was a kid. He was good, but could have been better and for longer if he had actually committed more to football than fame and drugs. Heck, I've asked myself before whether Joe Namath was really that good or if he's just remembered that way for his guarantee and his press clippings.

Does social media make it worse? It might make it more widespread. It's easier to reach a lot of people with your "brand" now than it would have been back in the 70s. It still ultimately comes down to the individual attitude of course.

57 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I agree with him to an extent because these young guys have seen the empires that guys like Jordan, Kobe, Lebron, Mahomes, TB12, Manning, ARod, Magic have built for themselves and they want a piece too. But those empires are built on success, not failure. Nobody is dropping 250 bucks on a pair of Jamarcus Russell cleats, but Mahomes has 10 different designs. For 99.9% of the people, you cant be a success and never put in the work. Sure there's a prodigy with a gift every now and then but that is the exception not the rule. 

I think the difference in work ethic is probably a big part of it too, arguably a bigger part than the age thing. There are few things guys who work their tails off to be the best they can be hate more than guys who half-ass it.

Heck, Steve Smith probably would have smacked Haskins around and stolen his lunch money.

Speaking of Smith, not sure if anyone else saw it but just a few days ago on NFL Network he ripped Juju Smith-Schuster a new one for his antics. Smitty framed his criticism by asking JSS "Do you want to be a social media star or a receiver?"

Haven't heard what he has to say about Haskins but I'd imagine it has a similar tone.

Im surpised no one took a chance, there must be more than the public knows. I know is RR for all his faults, was a players coach. It would take loads for him to cut bait, plus this was a owner pick too, must have kicked RR dog and gave it kug-flu.

I already said to put in a claim, no risk and hes only 23. Im not crazy youz guyz are crazy....crazy evil dead GIF

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Fair enough but I still think that quote rings true simply because we didn't see Will when it came time. Surely we all don't think that is because PJ Walker is a stud? I focused in that that same element when he said it because it felt like that was the "reading between the lines" aspect of what he was saying.

But, maybe I am wrong and Will ends up being a starter or #2 QB for us next season. I sort of doubt it.

Oh yeah I definitely doubt it too. Rhule seems to be suggesting that Grier still needs a bit more time in his development but that he is confident he will ultimately succeed in this league. But I do agree that the fact that PJ walked onto the team and beat him out this year even considering Grier had an extra year of development on the bench doesn’t look great on the surface.

54 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Im surpised no one took a chance, there must be more than the public knows. I know is RR for all his faults, was a players coach. It would take loads for him to cut bait, plus this was a owner pick too, must have kicked RR dog and gave it kug-flu.

I already said to put in a claim, no risk and hes only 23. Im not crazy youz guyz are crazy....crazy evil dead GIF

There's no risk NOW.

You were on the hook for $8m over two years if you picked him up on waivers. 

Archived