• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Davonte Smith

He's really good, but if we're adding a receiving weapon I'd rather go with Pitts. Pitts and McCaffrey would give us so much formation flexibility out of base personnel. He's also just as good--every time Florida needed something against Bama he drew a penalty or made a play. The whole stadium knew Trask was going to him and it didn't matter, against the best team in the country. 

1 hour ago, TheProcess said:

Davonte is great, but there are bigger needs, and there are WR later in the draft.

Now, if Carolina wants to trade up for a QB, Davonte might just be the key. The firepower around Tua is horrible, Miami needs weapons. Tua and Davonte played together at Alabama, he is a perfect type receiver for Tua's strengths. Miami may be willing to trade down and draft Davonte

Best player available 

6 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I know we have many other pressing needs but how do you pass on a talent like this.  

You add him with Moore and our WR Corp is amazingly potent.

I would hate to see him go to Atlanta, TB or New Orleans

As much as I know we have to have a qb, the thought entered my mind as well.  But here, Receivers named Smith are cursed.

Seriously, We are not as set at WR as people think--the Samuel situation, the Anderson contract and potential off the field issues (he seems to have that worked out, but relapses have occured) and Moore will need a tag or an extension next year to keep him on board, and he will want to be paid.  At aome point, we are going to need a WR or 2 on a rookie contract.

I get the poo--some people here think any player that is not a top 4 QB is blasphemy.  Adding a WR like Smith, keeping Samuel and Anderson and Smith makes the short passing game suddenly the "yards after the catch" passing game. And throw in a good TE or two, and suddenly a later-round QB or even Bridgewater (who was a first rounder) a better QB---we would need a T and G and start looking to upgrade Paradis.

I appreciate the "outside the box" thinking. I am not someone who screams BS when someone has a different idea than what I was thinking.  Attacking alternative opinions, as I see some have already started doing, is close minded and naive.

Good post.

Someone said, "There are WRs later in the draft,"  which is (I checked) a fact.  There are WRs later in the draft.  There are QBs later in the draft and they don't have an asterisk or "but..." preceding their names.   Confirmed information. 

But there are no WRs in football--past or present---with quite the skill set D Smith possesses.  And if the question then becomes, "Do you want the fourth or fifth rated QB in the draft at #9 or would you rather have a WR who is going to terrorize the league for a decade or more?  A WR that draws the opposition's best CB every game and will need S help over the top---which would leave Anderson and Moore facing the #2 or nickel CB--Defenses would have to play a big nickel or dime on first down, making the run game more explosive.  They would have to blitz to make things happen, leaving them vulnerable to screens, drag routes, and hot WRs.  A WR, TE, OT, and IOL (free agent) would make any QB better.

Not to suggest that a QB to develop later would not be an option---there will be options. We shall see---I am for a QB in round 1, but at #9, a QB that makes us better than Smith would at WR is not a given by any means. 

19 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Spending a top 10 pick on a speedy WR when Teddy Bridgewater is your QB and you already have good speedy WRs is like buying racing tires for your Prius when you already have a garage full of racing tires for your Prius.

If you are looking at 2021 only, but Samuel will be tough to re-sign, anderson is on year two of his "team friendly" deal, and Moore is going to be tagged or get an expensive extension.  Our capologist might be concerned about the $$$ we would have invested in 3 WRs when we are picking the waiver wire for Guards and Left tackles. I agree, but trying to objectively explore alternatives by defending alternative opinions.  I also think Smith is special---but that may not be the case.  It depends on the perspective--but as the GM, I would say we need at least one of our top 3 WRs on a rookie contract. 

Now do I want a WR in the draft?  I would be unhappy with that choice---but I was unhappy with Luke, CMC, and Brown.  So what the hell do I know?  I do appreciate "outside the box" thinking.  I try to do mocks with no QB in the first round--I never like the results, but if the top 3-4 players work out, we'd be better on the OL and at TE.

21 minutes ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

Let's buy a Ferrari and only drive it in the 35 mph zones!!!!

On a serious note, it would be amazing.  But I don't think we have that luxury right now. 

How much of Teddy's "sheepishness" was due to the OL and absence of a TE? (I think we both have an idea of that answer).

The short game is his game, and since you are obviously a Tar Heel fan, I was watching Howell last night with second team WRs and RBs throwing bombs that were on the money--it is sad when you see it on the college level and there are pros who cannot do that.

11 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

How much of Teddy's "sheepishness" was due to the OL and absence of a TE? (I think we both have an idea of that answer).

The short game is his game, and since you are obviously a Tar Heel fan, I was watching Howell last night with second team WRs and RBs throwing bombs that were on the money--it is sad when you see it on the college level and there are pros who cannot do that.

Speaking of TE,  Charlie Kolar from Iowa State is someone that i hope we look at, especially if he is there in the 4th round.  Kolar is 6'6"  250/260 lbs.  He could become a great Redzone target

26 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Teddy has been sheepish his entire career. He's just an ultra conservative QB with subpar physical skills. That's who he is. If the Panthers were expecting something else then they played themselves.

31 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

If you are looking at 2021 only, but Samuel will be tough to re-sign, anderson is on year two of his "team friendly" deal, and Moore is going to be tagged or get an expensive extension.  Our capologist might be concerned about the $$$ we would have invested in 3 WRs when we are picking the waiver wire for Guards and Left tackles. I agree, but trying to objectively explore alternatives by defending alternative opinions.  I also think Smith is special---but that may not be the case.  It depends on the perspective--but as the GM, I would say we need at least one of our top 3 WRs on a rookie contract. 

Now do I want a WR in the draft?  I would be unhappy with that choice---but I was unhappy with Luke, CMC, and Brown.  So what the hell do I know?  I do appreciate "outside the box" thinking.  I try to do mocks with no QB in the first round--I never like the results, but if the top 3-4 players work out, we'd be better on the OL and at TE.

Extend Moore and Anderson, let Samuel walk and draft another slot WR in the mid-late rounds like most successful organizations do. Pay the outside guys, draft new subpackage WRs. There's a reason why the outside guys get paid more. It's the far more difficult to find skill set. A guy like Dazz Newsome could largely replace what Samuel offers and be a punt returner to boot.

If he’s there then he has to be in the conversation....he’d be an upgrade over basically every WR we have and we wouldn’t have to  overpay Samuel (I don’t think we will). 

Real chance we go into next year with RA on a one year deal, DJ Moore wanting a new deal and Samuel on another team. Taking possibly the best player in the draft with that scenario wouldn’t be a bad thing....

Trade a third for Darnold, resign Moton and add Smith to what we haven+CMC.....that’s a promising young offense. 

6 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Never have I seen anyone mistake NCSU for UNC.

And Teddy's "sheepishness" is a learned behavior at this point and just who he is.  I've made the point before, but he literally had arguably the best OL in football last year with the Saints, the best play caller/offense, weapons, etc. and was average in his 5 game stint.  For the life of me, I cannot understand why some around here have even thought he was supposed to miraculously turn into a SB QB on a rebuilding roster.  SHOCKING that he came here and was....average at best.  The fact that some fooled themselves into believing otherwise speaks more to them than it does Teddy.  It's not his fault anyone with eyes knew that he was a bottom-tier starter/back-up QB. Hell, kudos to him for getting Hurney and our organization to give him a check for 3 years based off of literally nothing.

Archived