• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Quarterback Schools

Varking

Previous QBs have no baring on the evaluation of a current QB at a particular school, that's just lazy and stupid.

You evaluate each player on their own. 

There are 32 starting QBs in the NFL, of which most people on this board would probably consider half of them bad.

There are over 120 D1 schools and 16 good NFL QBS, in reality no team is consistently good at producing NFL QBs.

Another way to look at it,

College A produces several NFL QB prospects that fail

College B over that same time doesn't produce any prospects that even get the chance to fail.

Fans all of sudden say "I don't trust prospects from college A"

What you do have to consider is the level of talent they play with and the scheme they run.

Lets say they play for someone like OSU or Alabama, maybe on any given weekend their O-line is better than the opponents D-line so they never get pressured, or their WRs are way better and getting a lot of separation. Maybe their system is only asking them to make one read throws or a lot of easy short passes.  Both of these are factors that you should notice from watching tape, not from the jersey on their back.  

Fans have a really bad habit of box score scouting, and with that certain schools will produce QBs with good stats. Its up to the evaluator to actually watch tape

Just now, TheProcess said:

Wilson transferred, he was drafted from Wisconsin.

Yep, certainly true. Though he was recruited, developed and played more at NCSU.

Add Brissett and Glennon, and Finley as they have all started games and some seasons. 2019 all 5 started at some point.

3 hours ago, Moo Daeng said:

NCSU: Rivers & Wilson

That 5th year at Wisconsin, adds a * for me. But its hard to think of two better QBs, even could add Mike "da neck" Glennon. DOnt hold me to this, but I think hes has the most passing yards form his draft class. (i think it was 2013). Even add Ryan Finlay to this mix and it keeps getting better. I watch a game with him and came away impressed(given everything).

They are the best, cause I forgot about Jacoby Brissett. Compared to everyone else its not even close. 

1 minute ago, Basbear said:

That 5th year at Wisconsin, adds a * for me. But its hard to think of two better QBs, even could add Mike "da neck" Glennon. DOnt hold me to this, but I think hes has the most passing yards form his draft class. (i think it was 2013). Even add Ryan Finlay to this mix and it keeps getting better. I watch a game with him and came away impressed(given everything).

They are the best, cause I forgot about Jacoby Brissett. Compared to everyone else its not even close. 

USC probably has a better overall track record in that time period. Wilson is an asterisk because of the dual school situation. You can't claim him and Finley/Brissett. They both started at other schools.

Same with Hurts. He started at Alabama. TBH, the school is way less relevant than the player.

Just now, kungfoodude said:

USC probably has a better overall track record in that time period. Wilson is an asterisk because of the dual school situation. You can't claim him and Finley/Brissett. They both started at other schools.

Same with Hurts. He started at Alabama. TBH, the school is way less relevant than the player.

I didnt know Finley/Brissett started else where, jesus does anyone stay at one school now?? Like to see some Juco transfer numbers too. I know the NCAA lessen the rules on transfers some, it seems there are waaaay more. #1 pick Burrow was a transfer too.

Just now, Basbear said:

I didnt know Finley/Brissett started else where, jesus does anyone stay at one school now?? Like to see some Juco transfer numbers too. I know the NCAA lessen the rules on transfers some, it seems there are waaaay more. #1 pick Burrow was a transfer too.

Finley was at Boise St. and Brissett was from Florida. 

Archived