• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mac Jones

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Did he though? Really?

He “made” them in a sense that Harris on multiple screens had to jump and twist to catch passes and then turn up field. Smith had to slow down on deep balls to not outrun them. They were completed, sure. They weren’t great throws though. 

5 minutes ago, Varking said:

He “made” them in a sense that Harris on multiple screens had to jump and twist to catch passes and then turn up field. Smith had to slow down on deep balls to not outrun them. They were completed, sure. They weren’t great throws though. 

Your "analysis" of QBs is obviously biased by who you have predetermined to like. 

4 minutes ago, Varking said:

The Athletics mock draft has 

1. Lawrence

2. Wilson

4. Fields

8. Lance

24. Jones

No QBs in the 2nd round. 

I think there will be at least 5 QB's in the first round. It's possible guys like Jones and Trask start to slip into 2nd/3rd range but I suspect with this being a pretty strong QB draft that some overdrafting will happen.

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Ace, it is so hard to gauge him, but you could be right---and in my heart of hearts, when I am drafting in my mocks with the intense pressure that coincides with mocking, that is the realistic QB I take.  I feel nervous about Fields, I feel better about Wilson but a little like I am drafting Clausen, and I think I am taking a system QB in Mac, he seems to be the quintessential NFL career backup.  But I remind myself--if Jones is a good QB because he is on a dominant team, Lance is too.  So then I look at skill sets--release, reading, feet, etc. and I cannot throw Lance in the "B" pile like I thought I could.  He checks all the boxes.

A good thread recently was based on an article (someone posted it here) that there are no QB universities like their used to be---in fact, if you look at starting QBs over the past few years, NC State might be #1.  So who knows?

I’m biased but it’s Clemson.

deshaun

trevor

then watch what DJ does next year. 

Jones has plenty of arm strength.  No, he doesn't have a cannon, but you don't need a cannon to be an elite QB.  To me, his arm strength is comparable to Brady's.  It's strong enough to make any throw, but  not so strong that he'll break fingers.  

I get the general questioning of the fact that he is throwing to wide open receivers and is in a very QB friendly scheme.  However, you have to look past that, and look at what he actually does.  His passing is pinpoint.  He may be the most accurate QB in this class.  Yes, he's usually throwing to open receivers, but he almost always puts the ball in the perfect spot.  Receivers don't have to slow down or readjust very often.  While the receivers get open, his ball placement allows them to maximize their run after catch.  This pinpoint accuracy indicates that he will continue to be successful even when he has to throw into tighter windows.  

Basically, you can't really penalize him for the situation he is in.  Just because he is throwing to wide open receivers doesn't mean he can't make the tight throws.  In fact, the few times he has had to make those throws, he's been very good.  And as I've said before, his ball placement is elite, putting the ball in the perfect spot for RAC, and usually where even the top CB's wouldn't be able to contest it.  So, indications are he can do it, but just hasn't had to. 

You also have to look at other factors.  He usually makes the correct reads, goes through his progressions, makes good decisions, stays calm when under pressure, recognizes what the defense is doing and is able to find his hot reads.  Basically he shows a lot of traits everyone wants in a QB, with the only questions being the talent he played with and his athleticism.

By the time the draft comes around, don't be shocked when many evaluators view him as a top 10 pick.  When they break down his game, they will look past what he didn't have to do in college, and look for what they believe he can do.

2 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

we really have to stop saying players aren't going to be good bc they went to  a specific school. There is no evidence that any school offers the best at specific position. 

But there’s plenty of evidence showing that schools recruit a certain type of qb. At Alabama you’re going to find a dominant running back, Speed at WR, and a QB who can operate the system. They’re never going to put it all on a QB. 

3 hours ago, AceBoogie said:

Name an Alabama QB that turned out to be good...WRs won’t be that open in the NFL. Tua might eventually be good, but don’t forget people thought he was gods gift. 

Trey Lance is the best QB in this draft not named Trevor. 

I think the school is an overrated factor if you do a proper evaluation. Was Tua an NFL caliber passer/QB or not? Is Mac Jones? That is what really matters. You can discount them based on the strength of their respective teams(same with Fields or Lawrence, in that case) but are they still making NFL throws? Are they hitting windows that will be open at the next level? Are they making the right reads and going through their progressions? Are they handling pressure well? Are they placing the ball consistently where it should be? Are their mechanics flawed?

Etc, etc, etc. 

11 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I think the school is an overrated factor if you do a proper evaluation. Was Tua an NFL caliber passer/QB or not? Is Mac Jones? That is what really matters. You can discount them based on the strength of their respective teams(same with Fields or Lawrence, in that case) but are they still making NFL throws? Are they hitting windows that will be open at the next level? Are they making the right reads and going through their progressions? Are they handling pressure well? Are they placing the ball consistently where it should be? Are their mechanics flawed?

Etc, etc, etc. 

Hard to judge a QB when guys are out there  running butt naked all game. 

Archived