• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers confirmed to be in Stafford discussion

Mr. Scot

1 minute ago, ladypanther said:

Don't see Stafford wanting to come here over some other teams much more likely to make a playoff run. He will have some say in this. If he does not like the trade he retires (so said a friend of his on Sirius).

Breer addressed that, saying he thinks Stafford might want to go to a team in the west like San Francisco or Los Angeles, but doesn't think those teams are in position to make the best offer and Stafford doesn't really have leverage like a no trade clause or any such thing.

• Pie 1

19 minutes ago, Jackofalltrades said:

I’d rather have him than Watson just because of the cost. You don’t have to mortgage the next 2-3 years but can still have some capital to add other pieces. 

I love Watson, but the price I’ve seen speculated is insane. Matt’s used to shoddy OL but at least he’ll have options at the skill positions. 

He has that now lol. Y’all need to stop with the “he’s been on bad teams his whole career crap” he’s always had decent options to throw the ball too, ALWAYS. He’s just never gotten it down. He’s Jay Cutler that cares about football a little more. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Breer addressed that, saying he thinks Stafford might want to go to a team in the west like San Francisco or Los Angeles, but doesn't think those teams are in position to make the best offer and Stafford doesn't really have leverage like a no trade clause or any such thing.

He does have the leverage of he’s been the face of their franchise for a decade he’s not just going to allow them ship him anywhere. I’m sure that was part of the trade request discussion. 

I know we treat or great players like trash here on the way out but that’s not most teams. 

4 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

He has that now lol. Y’all need to stop with the “he’s been on bad teams his whole career crap” he’s always had decent options to throw the ball too, ALWAYS. He’s just never gotten it down. He’s Jay Cutler that cares about football a little more. 

I agree with you his weapons haven't been bad (although not sure it makes up for his horrendous run game) but Stafford is way better than Cutler.  

LIS the best comparison, not just player-style but where they rank in the NFL, is Carson Palmer.  A good quarterback who could very easily be great if the team around him is good enough.  The Bengals were to Palmer like the Lions are to Stafford (and Palmer's weapons and run game were generally better than Stafford's).  We'll see if Stafford can find his Cardinals.

I see no reason though why Stafford can't be a playoff winning QB.  Lions just were never all that good.  

Edited by Mage

Breer's mid Senior Bowl Periscope...

Besides the things already mentioned, at about 9:30 in someone asks "Stafford goes where?"

Breer thinks for a second and answers "Washington or Carolina maybe".

Mentioned earlier he's also heard Washington would be very interested in Sam Darnold if the Jets decided to go in another direction from him.

Edited by Mr. Scot

3 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

He does have the leverage of he’s been the face of their franchise for a decade he’s not just going to allow them ship him anywhere. I’m sure that was part of the trade request discussion.

Disagree but unless he actually decided to fight over his destination, it doesn't matter.

There's been zero indication he's planning to do that.

I just don’t understand why? We already have a TB for a year for a rookie to sit behind. Is our FO that inept they can’t scout a good QB with a top 10 pick in a QB heavy draft?

I’d rather risk a rookie and long term success than maybe 5 years of a aging QB I don’t see going to a super bowl.

Edited by onmyown
  • Beer 3

12 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Agree...the more I think about this I really don't want #8 involved.  If not, this deal becomes a very good deal for us.

I think if it happens it includes #8, Bridgewater and probably a little more.

Mind you, nothing along the lines of what we've been discussing for a Watson trade.