• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The new sheriff(s) in town

Mr. Scot

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm talking about just what I've seen from him physically. He's not the same athlete he was before. He's said so himself. 

Fair enough if he said so himself, but that purely goes to his scrambling abilities.  All his major injuries at 'Bama were leg related and now he has to rely more on his arm talent leaning him more towards a pocket QB. 

So then, let's circle back to Mac Jones.  If Mac Jones is a pure pocket guy that benefited from the likes of Smith, Waddle, Dickerson, Harris, Leatherwood etc,etc, etc... while their competition from week-to-week had some fraction of that talent, how does that translate to the NFL?  I'd say marginally at best.

34 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

We now know that the Panthers aggressively went after Matt Stafford, and just about landed him. By all accounts, if not for the Rams upping their offer, Stafford might be on his way to being a Panther right now.

That tells me that when Scott Fitterer talked about this team being aggressive as far as talent acquisition in the future, he wasn't kidding.

Quick Note: That doesn't mean we're getting Desean Watson and that's not what this is about.

What it is about is that offseasons are probably gonna look a lot different than they used to. How people feel about that is likely to depend a lot on whether the players they're aggressively pursuing are players you like or not. Responses to the news about Stafford have already shown that.

So I'm kind of wondering what people's way too early feelings are about where we're headed at this point, specifically how they feel about the directions Fitterer and Rhule are likely to take us in.

All this tells me whatever QB they fall in love with between (Wilson/Fields/Lance)on draft day we definitely moving up all signs are pointing that way.

25 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't think Jones is garbage, I just think he has some serious physical talent deficiencies. In terms of physical tools, I don't think he's a bit more talented than Teddy.

Exactly... hard pass... 

I'd seriously rather just roll with Teddy and build the team and be back in the QB market next year.  I'll be the first to admit if I'm wrong, but there's no way to me Jones is an upgrade

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

Fair enough if he said so himself, but that purely goes to his scrambling abilities.  All his major injuries at 'Bama were leg related and now he has to rely more on his arm talent leaning him more towards a pocket QB. 

So then, let's circle back to Mac Jones.  If Mac Jones is a pure pocket guy that benefited from the likes of Smith, Waddle, Dickerson, Harris, Leatherwood etc,etc, etc... while their competition from week-to-week had some fraction of that talent, how does that translate to the NFL?  I'd say marginally at best.

The ability to rotate the hips and drive the ball with your lower body drastically impacts your "arm".

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, KidSmitty89 said:

All this tells me whatever QB they fall in love with between (Wilson/Fields/Lance)on draft day we definitely moving up all signs are pointing that way.

Very possible.

I'm also interested in what happens if they can't make a deal. Then what?

• Beer 1

I am looking forward to seeing how Fitterer approaches free agency and any differences in the types of players we show interest in during the draft.  Though I do suspect there will be no visits or pro days to follow this season. 

Anyone have anything to say regarding the new GM? Do we really need another carbon copy of QB threads.

3 minutes ago, KidSmitty89 said:

I wouldn't say definitely. Gotta have a team willing to play ball to trade down and gotta outbid any and all other potential trade partners too.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The ability to rotate the hips and drive the ball with your lower body drastically impacts your "arm".

My thing with Jones is that I kind of wonder if Rhule and Fitterer might disagree on him. Rhule genuinely seems to like him, but we don't really know what Fitterer thinks.

You can kind of infer from their comments that Fitterer puts a higher value on arm strength than Rhule does, but that's kind all speculation.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

That's the thing.

Is he doing a terrible job or did he just make a terrible choice?

The Packers did at least make it to the NFC championship this year.

As far as the terrible choice vs terrible job, we will find out soon because if he keeps making bad choices it will confirm he is also doing a terrible job.

Just now, Waldo said:

As far as the terrible choice vs terrible job, we will find out soon because if he keeps making bad choices it will confirm he is also doing a terrible job.

I do think using that high a pick on a potential replacement for a quarterback you're now saying you have no plans to part ways with plays out as being kind of goofy.

Rodgers has complained before about the team not giving him enough help. He might have a point.

• Flames 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

My thing with Jones is that I kind of wonder if Rhule and Fitterer might disagree on him. Rhule genuinely seems to like him, but we don't really know what Fitterer thinks.

You can kind of infer from their comments that Fitterer puts a higher value on arm strength than Rhule does, but that's kind all speculation.

It's very possible. If Fitts values a big arm I can't see him being high on Jones.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

I do think using that high a pick on a potential replacement for a quarterback you're now saying you have no plans to part ways with plays out as being kind of goofy.

Rodgers has complained before about the team not giving him enough help. He might have a point.

Lack of control and direction. Hell, Roger's has more influence then most of the staff on a team owned by fans. Nothing about that leads me to be optimistic this doesn't underwhelm.

It is goofy and dangerous. His ego has been a known thing. That makes it also incredibly stupid and avoidable. For Love? Just dumb on so.many levels.