• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The wrath of Rhule

Mr. Scot

24 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

poo gets said in the heat of things but in all my years of management one thing I've learned is that you never outright threaten to fire someone out of emotion. People will move past it, but you can bet your bottom dollar that they don't forget it and they'll definitely remember it if/when another opportunity comes calling.

See that's where you have no experience in the situation. As a manager yes you have to manage people but as the head of a organization you have different priorities. A assist coach is the lowest rung in football and you live and die by performance. Don't think there would not have piles of applications waiting and people below looking for a chance. Also don't think I'm trashing your opinion you are totally correct in almost 99% of situations but sports is different in that its a unique opportunity like the music business or motion picture. 

1 minute ago, Khyber53 said:

I'm not sure we can say if he's been able to sustain success or not. Seems that as a HC, he has taken dumpster fires, fixed them, made them into winners and then been promoted to the next big gig. What happens after he leaves may not have anything to do with him or what he built.

Still, what you say has some wisdom to it. Can a hard nosed coach sustain a team? Does he transform into something different as the culture transforms? I'd like to think that's the plan, but you are right that we don't have any real info to go on for that yet.

And he may also like those opportunities to build. That's the thing, some people enjoy the path more than the destination. 

Here is a crazy thought, what if he jumps ship in 3-4 years after he builds a 12-14 win team? He is technically as high as he can go in the head coaching ranks....but maybe he finds the building process the most rewarding?

This is all theory, of course. He still has to actually BUILD a winner here. But if that does happen, I am curious to see how he handles sustained success. Can he maintain it? Can he keep the kind of atmosphere he wants after he has been here for 4-6 years?

To be determined(hopefully).

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

I'm not sure we can say if he's been able to sustain success or not. Seems that as a HC, he has taken dumpster fires, fixed them, made them into winners and then been promoted to the next big gig.

I've pondered that.

There's no promotion from head coach in the NFL. This is it, and at this level taking an underachieving program to moderate success doesn't get you a pat on the back. It gets you the door.

Rhule's in a different world than before, one that's going to ask a lot more of him than the prior ones did.

Seriously hope he's up to it.

• Pie 1

If this is 100% accurate and my impression is also accurate, I disagree with the practice of yelling at coaches in front of players at practice or any other time.  Not on the pro level--that can backfire because we all have our dignity and many of these coaches will not respond favorably to that. It also hurts their credibility in front of the players.  It may make you pound your chest and snort through your nostrils, but beyond that, it is a bad practice that is unlikely to have ever paid off for him--probably hurt him. 

• Pie 1

35 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You can get away with riding your team hard as long as they know at the end of the day you give a poo about them and have their best interests at heart. If they don't believe that, then you'll have a revolving door of people jumping ship as soon as they can.

Quite frankly, that was my first thought with all of the coaching departures after year one 

Years at my Corp IT job, I managed people and was managed.  Lot of yelling and screaming by Execs who had been taught better.  By and large, they all failed 

the most successful Exec VP, I and others worked for,  was a very very smart and kind five foot tall woman.  Direct in her ‘asks’ and her expectations and she never raised her voice.  I had hardened engineers working very late at night for her without being asked because they knew she had integrity and was trying to make things better.  Morale and productivity was very high. When she retired, people cried   There is ‘no crying’ in corporate America but true leaders were few   We knew with her retirement it was back to Dilbert. 

I share this story because yelling and threats only work for a little while.  I doubt Andy Reid is much of a yeller.

I don’t know about Rhule.  Time will tell.  I hope for my season tickets he is successful 

Edited by raleigh-panther
  • Pie 3

12 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

To a degree, but things that a coach says to football players are not in the same world. Many things that get said on the football field would never be allowed in a normal managerial role. 

My office managers never called me a dumbass and made me run laps.

Granted, there were times I probably would have preferred that 😕

I was watching the senior bowl practices and some of the players not in the drill were too close to the action and the mics picked up Rhule turning around to the coaches and says "can we keep these guys back?  It's not that hard.  Damn."  

No big deal, but I thought it was interesting.  He's certainly in charge.

10 minutes ago, Snake said:

See that's where you have no experience in the situation. As a manager yes you have to manage people but as the head of a organization you have different priorities. A assist coach is the lowest rung in football and you live and die by performance. Don't think there would not have piles of applications waiting and people below looking for a chance. Also don't think I'm trashing your opinion you are totally correct in almost 99% of situations but sports is different in that its a unique opportunity like the music business or motion picture. 

That "I don't need you" attitude is what creates a revolving door of people jumping ship for greener pastures. If someone isn't getting it done, work on it or part ways with them. The "I'll fire your ass stuff" isn't effective. You're the guy's boss and you know that his job relies in part on you doing your job. The reality that you'll get fired for not performing is already fully implied. If you have to threaten that to get the best out of someone then they're not going to work out anyway.

• Pie 5

2 minutes ago, Captain Morgan said:

I was watching the senior bowl practices and some of the players not in the drill were too close to the action and the mics picked up Rhule turning around to the coaches and says "can we keep these guys back?  It's not that hard.  Damn."  

No big deal, but I thought it was interesting.  He's certainly in charge.

There are some who think that sort of coaching style isn't going to work well with today's players.

I don't really see Rhule changing it though. And it certainly seems to work for the aforementioned Nick Saban.

3 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

Quite frankly, that was my first thought with all of the coaching departures after year one 

Years at my Corp IT job, I managed people and was managed.  Lot of yelling and screaming by Execs who had been taught better.  By and large, they all failed 

the most successful Exec VP, I add others worked for,  was a very very smart and kind five foot tall woman.  Direct in her ‘asks’ and her expectations and she never raised her voice.  I had hardened engineers working very late at night for her without being asked because they knew she had integrity and was trying to make things better.  Moral and productivity was very high. When she retired, people cried   There is ‘no crying’ in corporate America but true leaders were few   We knew with her retirement it was back to Dilbert. 

I share this story because yelling and threats only work for a little while.  I doubt Andy Reid is much of a yeller.

I don’t know about Rhule.  Time will tell.  I hope for season tickets he is successful 

When I think about the best bosses I've ever had they all shared the same thing - at the end of the day they all truly cared about their people and despite the process you always knew that at the end of the day they were going to do the right thing for their people. Too many people forget that in today's corporate environment of constant "restructures" (a.k.a. waves of layoffs). It's why I bailed on the corporate world years ago and hope to god I never have to go back. If I do it'll just be for a temporary paycheck until I can find my way back out again. You take care of good people. They're more than numbers on a spreadsheet and mean more to you long-term than that short-term quarterly report that you're trying to make look better. Short-term bandaids create long-term problems.

• Pie 4