• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or GoogleĀ accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account.Ā 

Members receive fewer adsĀ , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ā 

The wrath of Rhule

Mr. Scot

Apparently our head coach, while generally a nice guy, isn't always an easy man to work for...or play for šŸ˜†

Pretty good read in The Athletic (subscription required)

After joining Matt Rhuleā€™s Baylor staff from Rice, Frank Okam was fired up about making the jump to a Power 5 program. Then the first game happened, and Okam wondered if his might be a short stint in Waco.

After Okamā€™s defensive line had a choppy performance in the 2018 opener against Abilene Christian, the Bearsā€™ first-year assistant called his girlfriend to let her know heā€™d endured the wrath of Rhule.

ā€œThe headsets were crazy and there was a lot of yelling going back and forth. And coach Rhule in frustration said, ā€˜Frank, this might be your last game here,ā€™ā€ Okam said last week. ā€œSo I called her after the game. I was like, ā€˜Hey, I think I might be fired from Baylor. So Iā€™m not sure, Iā€™m gonna show up to work tomorrow and see what happens, see if theyā€™ll let me in the building.ā€™ā€

Okamā€™s job was safe: A calmer Rhule explained the following day he was just trying to get the most out of him and his players. But it was a bit of a system shock for Okam...

• Pie 5
  • Beer 2
  • Poo 1

First few games in clemson in 1995 they let you bring scanners into the game.Ā 

This was a tradition in NASCAR at the time so they thought they could do it for the NFL. The NFL banned this almost immediately for obvious reasons, but for a couple games you could do it and listen to the coaches.

One of the guys besides me let me listen to his headphones. I was ten.Ā 

It was nothing but profanities. No strategy, no plays, just fug THAT fugER IN THE fuging ASS

I was not allowed to listen to it again

• Pie 8
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

The article includes similar feedback from players.

There was chatter out of the Senior Bowl about Rhule yelling at his coaches just as much as he did the players. Sounds like that was legit.

Ā 

You can get away with riding your team hard as long as they know at the end of the day you give a poo about them and have their best interests at heart. If they don't believe that, then you'll have a revolving door of people jumping ship as soon as they can.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You can get away with riding your team hard as long as they know at the end of the day you give a poo about them and have their best interests at heart. If they don't believe that, then you'll have a revolving door of people jumping ship as soon as they can.

captain obvious !

3 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

First few games in clemson in 1995 they let you bring scanners into the game.Ā 

This was a tradition in NASCAR at the time so they thought they could do it for the NFL. The NFL banned this almost immediately for obvious reasons, but for a couple games you could do it and listen to the coaches.

One of the guys besides me let me listen to his headphones. I was ten.Ā 

It was nothing but profanities. No strategy, no plays, just fug THAT fugER IN THE fuging ASS

I was not allowed to listen to it again

When I started playing pee wee football, I learned a lot of new and interesting words.

My mom wasn't too happy about that but the coach was my best friend's dad.

• Pie 1

They hired Rhule to turn this into a winning franchise. This is how he is doing it. Apparently, this is how he has done it at Baylor and Temple.Ā 

If he gets the same results here, then we have nothing to complain or worry about. This is how he builds a team. Rivera built his differently and folks will have to get accustomed to the new way or move on.

It will take time to get to the prime spot in this arc, but I think we're seeing growth here. This wasn't going to be an overnight fix, although I can't help but think had CMC been healthy, we'd have had four to five more wins over the season.

Give it time.

• Pie 3

10 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Ask Belichick.