• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2021 Carolina Panther offseason

DaveThePanther2008

Obviously our No. 1 priority is finding someone who can guide this team in 2021 and hopefully beyond.   There are a millions threads about that.  This thread is more about what happens when we find one. 

Our options at QB are as many as the number of posts on QBs in this forum.  Each will come at a cost of draft capital unless we take one via Free Agency.  That might be worse than our current situation.   If we are to manage a way to get Watson our draft picks will be severely reduced.  

I think free agency is going to produce a ton of available talent due to the CAP not going up as it has normally.  Teams will part ways with players that in a normal offseason they may have kept.   Fitterer and Rhule will no doubt try to weed through the high priced FA and try to nab a couple of solid contributors especially on the O-Line.   During the next couple of weeks the list will grow and we'll be able to guess at who we might sign.

Depending on the number of picks we have based on our new QB.  Nailing every pick will be crucial.  I would hope we keep either a 2nd or 3rd this season so we can address some protection for our new QB.  Rounds 4 thru 7 we must find those gems that were overlooked.  This offseason  I believe that opportunity is better than previous season since many of the lower round picks were made because of good pro days and combine results.   Many of these borderline players may slip through the cracks.  Hopefully Fitterer and Rhule do well.  

Finally I think the UDFA market will produce more 53 man roster spots than normal.  Once again hopefully our scouting staff is ahead of other teams and we find another Norwell that can improve our team.

I hope Fitterer is creative enough to do wonders this offseason and we continue to build on our roster like we did in 2020.

• The D 1
  • Poo 1

Find and develop interior linemen, don't buy someone else's expensive castoffs.

Stay away from FA QBs. Draft one now in the first or second, stick with the man and build the team. Like in the rest of life, no one will care what he did in college by the second year, it will just matter what he does while he's on the job.

Churn the roster and get younger and smarter. 

• Beer 1

It's just way too difficult to talk about this offseason without talking about a QB.

That changes everything.  Especially since our cap situation isn't in the best spot.  Really the only moves worth talking about that we'll likely make are tagging and/or extending Moton and whatever we do with our picks, which will likely have to do with what we do at QB.

I think we're just gonna have to take our time in FA and see who's willing to take on short-term deals for not a lot of money.  Robby Anderson was an AMAZING find last year.  Let's hope we can find a defensive equivalent to him in FA.  

• Beer 1

Let's hope we make better FA acquisitions than last year. 

Teddy Bridgewater - D+

Pharoh Cooper - C

Robby Anderson - A+

Seth Roberts - F

Tre Boston - C-

Stephen Weatherly - F

Juston Burris - B-

John Miller - B+

Keith Kirkwood - C

Seth DeValve - C

Tahir Whitehead - F

P.J. Walker - C

Zach Kerr - A

DeAndrew White - C

• Beer 3

15 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Stay away from FA QBs. Draft one now in the first or second, stick with the man and build the team. Like in the rest of life, no one will care what he did in college by the second year, it will just matter what he does while he's on the job.

We are going to have to probably sign 3-4 OL just to make the roster and that is assuming we take 3+ in the draft. I am okay with some one year rentals if they are potentially better caliber linemen. We do need upgrades in that area for our, hopefully, new QB.

Also probably need to take a look at the FA QB's. We need to upgrade over Walker and Grier if we move on from Teddy with a new QB. I'd probably rather sign a Winston or Cam like discarded QB contract for one year than waste another draft pick on a QB(this is assuming we have made a first round QB selection or replaced our QB in some other way). 

Not every released vet is going to get a nice paycheck. With a lower cap, some will be left with their hands out and will take lower (kind of like Clowney last year, couldn't get what he wanted). I really believe they will get several starters in FA and then let the draft fall. I would get a Mariota f(lower cap) or developing a draft pick or in case we can't get one. I like Teddy but how could he play where he wasn't wanted? If we can get a 4th round pick (or nay pick) just for them to take his salary that would be great). I was really hoping Teddy was gonna work out. 

But let's face it. The Bucs are the team to beat for at least 2021, and GB, Buffalo along with KC are all near or at the top of their game. Let's just look to build for 2022 and beyond. Get young and strong, build depth and a complete roster that by the draft and FA of 2022, their's only a few holes to fill, not as much as we have now. 

In 2020 I just wanted to see a spark. In 2021 I want to see progress, win some tough ones, a nice come back or two. By 2022 I would love to see a powerhouse mentioned along with KC, GB, etc. Just being realistic. 

Going to be an interesting offseason. Team has a lot of holes.

Outside of upgrading at QB which is obvious....

This team needs to go all in on fixing the offensive line. I wouldn't mind a first and second round draft pick on OL if they make a move at QB elsewhere.

Continue building the defense with some later round picks. Depth on the DL and CB are big positions of need.

There's potential the team improves next season but I expect something around 6-10 unless something major happens at QB.

4 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

The issue is.  Will there be one available at 8 or will we give up the farm to move up to get one.  What if we try and are outbid.  The team has already made it clear that TB is not the answer and moving forward with him in 2020 is slim to none.

Some of the QBs that are on the market may need a change of scenery.   I would have to trust our staff to weed out the good and the bad.  

The point of my thread was if we trade for a QB we are going to be without many picks in this draft. We will have to be on our "A" game in the witn UDFAs and FA and hit on every pick in the draft.  

I think this off season will show which teams have the most talented scouting team.  Hopefully, we are one of those teams.  

There will be young free agents that are/were stuck behind a starter kind of like Klein when he was behind Luke.  I would imagine that Fitterer will be looking into every roster looking for those types of players.

• Beer 1

5 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Let's hope we make better FA acquisitions than last year. 

Teddy Bridgewater - D+

Pharoh Cooper - C

Robby Anderson - A+

Seth Roberts - F

Tre Boston - C-

Stephen Weatherly - F

Juston Burris - B-

John Miller - B+

Keith Kirkwood - C

Seth DeValve - C

Tahir Whitehead - F

P.J. Walker - C