• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton says he “intimidated” Panthers...

DFive

14 hours ago, Cary Kollins said:

Pretty dumb to mention teams not signing Cam without mentioning the unprecedented nature of Covid-19 eliminating any chance to test and evaluate a player in person, especially because Cam was coming off two lost seasons due to injury.

Basically no one had any idea how healthy he was. After two games in to last season it looked like MVP Cam was back. Then he got Covid, Edelman got hurt, maybe his shoulder acted up again, but it was all downhill from there.

So you are saying that because they could not see him, they could not make a decision about him?  They could not communicate with his surgeon?  They could not communicate with his rehab team?  He could not have sent them range of motion videos, film of him passing?  Cam was picking and choosing what he wanted teams to see and know.  One scout tweeted, (paraphrasing) Cam wants us to kick the tires after we buy the car.  It don't work that way." 

The league has a grapevine--there may be secrets hidden from the public, but people generally know.  Cam had red flags.  Cam may have had a good game with his repaired shoulder, but it does not take long for those ligaments and tendons to stretch out and become "fatigued".  Shoulder surgery ended my career in college, so I have some idea of how it feels.  Some snap back, but you can't tape a shoulder to give it support.  It is either fully repaired or it is not.  Cam looked like a new car, but he was burning oil.

• Pie 1

42 minutes ago, CRA said:

not 100 million.   but all 32 starting QBs don't get that.  

if I had an iffy QB situation I'd bring Cam in on a 2-3 year deal.  Like a Denver, Washington, Chicago, etc.  Let him compete.  Will be a good locker room guy regardless of how it pans out.  If someone does beat him out Cam would drive that dude. 

I don't think you can pay Cam to be your QB going forward.  Line up the 32 starting QBs in the NFL this year.  He is still IMO better than many at the bottom.   And there are 32 backups in the NFL and most of them had better deals than Cam last year. 

I agree with everything you're saying here.  At the time, it's rumored that Cam wanted a commitment from the Panthers.  At this point, I'm sure he'd take much less in money and time, like 2-3 years.  

31 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

So you are saying that because they could not see him, they could not make a decision about him?  They could not communicate with his surgeon?  They could not communicate with his rehab team?  He could not have sent them range of motion videos, film of him passing?  Cam was picking and choosing what he wanted teams to see and know.  One scout tweeted, (paraphrasing) Cam wants us to kick the tires after we buy the car.  It don't work that way." 

The league has a grapevine--there may be secrets hidden from the public, but people generally know.  Cam had red flags.  Cam may have had a good game with his repaired shoulder, but it does not take long for those ligaments and tendons to stretch out and become "fatigued".  Shoulder surgery ended my career in college, so I have some idea of how it feels.  Some snap back, but you can't tape a shoulder to give it support.  It is either fully repaired or it is not.  Cam looked like a new car, but he was burning oil.

Yea that whole "for two games Cam looked good" is literally dunking on his on point/side of the argument. I find that fascinating really. He looked good for 4 games for us before the shoulder gave out....what next year it'll be 1? I don't' think i've ever seen such head in the sand over a player.

Edited by Fox007

3 hours ago, MHS831 said:

So you are saying that because they could not see him, they could not make a decision about him? 

Yes of course. Teams are not going to pay market starting QB money to someone with injury concerns based on videos or a third party doctors opinion. 

It’s not that hard to understand, but if you guys want to be confused do you.

Edited by Cary Kollins
  • Pie 2

2 hours ago, Fox007 said:

Yea that whole "for two games Cam looked good" is literally dunking on his on point/side of the argument. I find that fascinating really. He looked good for 4 games for us before the shoulder gave out....what next year it'll be 1? I don't' think i've ever seen such head in the sand over a player.

What argument is it you think I’m trying to make? Seems you’re confused as to my original point or just making up a straw man based on other people’s posts.

Edited by Cary Kollins

To be fair, it was a 1.5 hr interview with Brandon Marshall. Chad Johnson and one other player 

I watched the I AM Athlete featuring Cam

i thought  Cam did a great job. He was honest. He was thoughtful.  he was funny and he was introspective 

having watched him from college to the Panthers to now I was like, my god he has grown up 

I like him more now than when he played here

Edited by raleigh-panther
  • Pie 2