Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

When has a blockbuster NFL trade worked out for the team who gives up everything?


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Pup McBarky said:

The Miller Test was developed specifically to define material that is "obscene" for the sake of community standards. It was not developed to give people a way to objectively answer subjective questions in any other situation. The very notion is absolutely silly. 

this fuging conversation is silly. ahah what is even happening right now?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moo Daeng said:

Faulk was acquired for a second and fifth. That's not even on the fringe of the cusp of beginning to discuss blockbuster trade. 

You know nothing is comparable to a 25 year old all pro QB being traded right? It’s never been done before. If it has to be multiple 1st round picks AND the team has to win it all then no it hasn’t happened before... Closest thing would be Chiefs giving up two first round picks to select Mahomes and winning a Super Bowk with him.

Edited by ForJimmy
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Shocker said:

The answer is never.  This kinda trade has never happened outside of maybe Walker.

I'd say there are two trades that compare. Walker is one. The Bears trade for Jay Cutler is the second.

Other examples may have been for great players but didn't involve the kind of compensation package that's being discussed for this trade.

For reference, the Walker trade was in 1989, more than thirty years ago, yet people still talk about how huge a mistake it was.

Blow a trade of this proportion, and people will be using you as the cautionary tale up through  2051 and beyond.

  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'd say there are two trades that compare. Walker is one. The Bears trade for Jay Cutler is the second.

Other examples may have been for great players but didn't involve the kind of compensation package that's being discussed for this trade.

For reference, the Walker trade was in 1989, more than thirty years ago, yet people still talk about how huge a mistake it was.

Blow a trade of this proportion, and people will be using you as the cautionary tale up through  2051 and beyond.

Cutler - 2 first, 3rd, Orton

Mack - 2 first, 3rd, 6th

  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CRA said:

Cutler - 2 first, 3rd, Orton

Mack - 2 first, 3rd, 6th

No other trades involve an established franchise quarterback in his prime.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

No other trades involve an established franchise quarterback in his prime.

real question is can a team survive and improve despite  the cost of a major acquisition IMO. 

and in recent times we have seen teams do legit blockbuster mega trades for less important positions (Mack, Ramsey) and it work out well for them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, CRA said:

real question is can a team survive and improve despite  the cost of a major acquisition IMO. 

and in recent times we have seen teams do legit blockbuster mega trades for less important positions (Mack, Ramsey) and it work out well for them. 

Did the Rams or the Bears need to invest in players to protect Khalil Mack or Jalen Ramsey?

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Did the Rams or the Bears need to invest in players to protect Khalil Mack or Jalen Ramsey?

no but the better the QB, the better the OL talent looks. 

but the point I was making is, is the mega deal crippling.  Clearly not.   Rams still have to invest in offense regardless.  QB.  OL.  WRs.  They have to invest on the defensive front that playing in front of Ramsey. After that mega deal.....they went right out and made another mega deal. 

If the player gives you the impact you want or not is what makes the deal good or bad.  That's really all that matter.  Mega trade is like a draft pick.  Hitting on the player determines if it was good or bad.  We can reference all the trades we want.  All trades are bad when the player doesn't give you what you expected. 

if Watson delivered, he would be worth it.  If he doesn't? It would be a horrific trade other teams talk about.   That's how it goes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, CRA said:

no but the better the QB, the better the OL talent looks. 

but the point I was making is, is the mega deal crippling.  Clearly not.   Rams still have to invest in offense regardless.  QB.  OL.  WRs.  They have to invest on the defensive front that playing in front of Ramsey. After that mega deal.....they went right out and made another mega deal. 

If the player gives you the impact you want or not is what makes the deal good or bad.  That's really all that matter.  Mega trade is like a draft pick.  Hitting on the player determines if it was good or bad.  We can reference all the trades we want.  All trades are bad when the player doesn't give you what you expected. 

The kinds of deals that King and Schrager are suggesting are ridiculous. Jonathan Stewart recognized that.

In the same vein as Stewart, if we did something like one of those proposals, here's how I picture Watson's arrival at the facilities:

"Welcome to the Panthers, Deshaun!"

"Yeah, I'm happy to be here. Can't wait to start working with the guys. It's gonna be great to have Christian McCaffrey in the backfield with me. Can I meet with him?"

"Ummm...yeah. Sorry to tell you but we had to trade McCaffrey in order to acquire you."

"Oh, bummer. I understand though. How about Robbie Anderson? Is he around?

"Well see, we kind of had to...you know..."

"Ah. Okay, I get it. What about  Brian Burns? He reminds me a lot of JJ Watt. Is he in the building?"

"..."

*I see...  Well at the very least, I should say hi to the guys that are gonna be blocking for me. Can I meet some of them?"

"Sure, but I should probably let you know we really only have two starters under contract. We're kind of trying to rebuild the offensive line right now."

"Understood, But at least you've got some draft picks and some cap space you can use to get some new guys, right?"

"We should probably talk."

  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...