• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mac Jones runs a 4.86 40

Varking

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Here are some points I have been trying to make but people want the impatient approach to the QB position. 

It is easy to say Trever>Wilson>Fields>Lance>Jones.  So when you say, "I want Lance, he is better than Jones"  you are absolutely right.  You earn a cookie.  However, when your list is formulated accurately, it should look like this:

• Trevor (not for sale) minus 2 star Panthers and your next 2 first and second round picks;
  • Wilson minus 1 star Panther and your next 2 first round picks;
  • Fields minus the 2021 first round pick and a second rounder + a first rounder in 2022;
  • Lance minus the 2021 first round pick and the second rounder;
  • Jones PLUS a third round pick.

That is the only way you can look at this.  So now consider that it is probably that 2-3 of these QBs will fail, based on history.  Take Fields for example, and now compare him to Jones.  Fields is still a better athlete and he has better physical tools.  In the NFL, does that make him a better QB? Historically, no.

So now ask, "If Fields does not work out, what have I lost?" 4 potentially high-level players. 

Now ask, "If I trade back with Dallas (for example) for a third rounder and take Jones and he does not work out, what have I lost?"  Really, nothing beyond a wasted opportunity to land a top 10 QB.  you gained a backup QB (we really do not have one) and the third rounder can be used to move back up into the second round for an OL or a CB.  You still have your first rounder for 2022. 

So that is why this is not that simple.  I think we move up, hopefully with the Jets, but if we stay put or even move back and take Lance or Jones, I get it.  If the dice don't feel right in your hand, don't throw them.

Jones is the fifth-rated QB on the board and there is separation between him as a prospect and at least 3 of the others.  I get that. Some Huddlers are so concrete--it has to be simple--black/white, cold/hot, etc. so they can develop an argument.  Life aint that way--there are variables, and I rarely see them mentioned--there is also probability and outcome, and I see no focus on the concerns some have for a QB that have sent many other future superstars to the bench for good.  But the likelihood that that is the feeling in 2 years is unlikely.  There are so many variables that must be considered, which is why this is an exhaustive process with a 50% success rate.

I honestly don't think it's as simple as Lawrence > Wilson > Fields > Lance > Jones (several well respected QB evaluators have Lawrence and Wilson as a clear 1-2 with Jones as the third guy).

I'm also not sure about the resources involved either - some think Lance will fall significantly. 

A lot of posters have entrenched themselves with their opinion on these QB prospects and every debate just descends into the same old tired arguments. 

20 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We know all we need to know based on Senior Bowl week practices. There's PLENTY of other Bama prospects that need scouting.

I could be wrong, but I really don't think we are interested in Mac Jones. He's the opposite of what Rhule and Brady have stated they want in a QB. Huge arm and running ability just isn't Mac. The first 3 QB's all fit the description, though I do believe we will have to trade up. 

36 minutes ago, Jared Patterson said:

I could be wrong, but I really don't think we are interested in Mac Jones. He's the opposite of what Rhule and Brady have stated they want in a QB. Huge arm and running ability just isn't Mac. The first 3 QB's all fit the description, though I do believe we will have to trade up. 

Yeah, based on what we talked about wanting in a QB, Jones just doesn't fit the mold

I keep taking a step back and asking if Mac has any kind of way of succeeding in the NFL.  I don't see it.  You cant be a total non-athlete in today’s NFL.  He probably isnt even a top 5 QB in this draft.  Would much rather look at Davis Mills later.  That dude could surprise.

I hear the Andrew Luck comparisons with Mills but damn he looks like Peyton Manning a little to me.  

Edited by Shocker
  • Pie 1

31 minutes ago, Shocker said:

I keep taking a step back and asking if Mac has any kind of way of succeeding in the NFL.  I don't see it.  You cant be a total non-athlete in today’s NFL.  He probably isnt even a top 5 QB in this draft.  Would much rather look at Davis Mills later.  That dude could surprise.

I hear the Andrew Luck comparisons with Mills but damn he looks like Peyton Manning a little to me.  

Just for shits and giggles (in order of brilliance):

• Tony Romo - 5.01
  • Matthew Stafford - 4.81
  • Matt Ryan - 4.89
  • Philip Rivers - 5.08
  • Ben Roethlisberger - 4.75
  • Drew Brees - 4.83
  • Peyton Manning - 4.88
  • Patrick Mahomes - 4.8
  • Tom Brady - 5.28

40 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

• Tony Romo - 5.01
  • Matt Ryan - 4.89
  • Philip Rivers - 5.08
  • Drew Brees - 4.83
  • Peyton Manning - 4.88
  • Patrick Mahomes - 4.8
  • Tom Brady - 5.28

I don’t think the 40 time is a good indicator of being an athlete. Romo was great at improvising when things broke down, and so are most of the folks on your list. The question is, have we seen Mac do it?

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, OldhamA said:

• Tony Romo - 5.01
  • Matt Ryan - 4.89
  • Philip Rivers - 5.08
  • Drew Brees - 4.83
  • Peyton Manning - 4.88
  • Patrick Mahomes - 4.8
  • Tom Brady - 5.28