• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Meanwhile in Washington...

Mr. Scot

12 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Absolutely.  However, he had one and drove him into the ground--going for the immediate reward at the expense of long term success.

And how is the genius coaches in NE using him differently?

Cam is who he is. A physical presence playing QB. That’s the only way he knows how to play. 

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, Peppers90 NC said:

Cam is who he is. A physical presence playing QB. That’s the only way he knows how to play. 

While I do agree with the analysis of Cam, I also think that it's important that Ron take some heat for that.  If we had brought in an actual QB coach & OC, perhaps someone would have taught Cam how to play a different way.  Honestly, I believe he was capable.  2018 was already too late physically, but he appeared to really turn a corner that season mentally.  Perhaps if he had turned that corner in 2014 instead we might be talking about a completely different narrative.

It's water under the bridge, but I believe Rivera deserves a fair helping of responsibility for that.

13 minutes ago, BrianS said:

While I do agree with the analysis of Cam, I also think that it's important that Ron take some heat for that.  If we had brought in an actual QB coach & OC, perhaps someone would have taught Cam how to play a different way.  Honestly, I believe he was capable.  2018 was already too late physically, but he appeared to really turn a corner that season mentally.  Perhaps if he had turned that corner in 2014 instead we might be talking about a completely different narrative.

It's water under the bridge, but I believe Rivera deserves a fair helping of responsibility for that.

Yea I won’t argue his offensive coaching staff should have been better. He hired too many friends. But it’s so tiring to see people on here keep saying the same thing over for years now. It’s in the past we are in a new era. 

48 minutes ago, BrianS said:

The guy who helped Josh Allen turn into what he is now is Ken Dorsey, Newton's former quarterback coach.

While he was here, Rivera had Dorsey be less of a coach and more of a friend because he was too scared Cam might not respond well to anything negative.

So in truth, Ron actually did bring in a "real quarterback coach". He just didn't let him do his job.

1 hour ago, Peppers90 NC said:

They ran him even more. His highest rush attempts per game and lowest pass attempts of his career. And people cheered it 

18 hours ago, MHS831 said:

If the logjam at the bottom breaks--Sf takes Jones, Atlanta goes Sewell or pitts etc, there could be offers like this.

RR is NOTHING without a QB to save his ass.  He would be an asterisk in most programs.  He would be the guy who parachutes before the enemy starts firing.  He would be the kid at the ice cream truck who falls down, bloodies his knee, drops is quarters, and still wants ice cream.

I have no idea where this is going now.

wait what GIF

You think? I realize his coaching style may be that way but in his prime he was a bad ass linebacker for the old school Chicago Bears. Something tells me Ron was an alpha back in his day. As far as coaching goes though yeah way too conservative and not a risk taker at all I agree.

7 minutes ago, YourLastThought said:

You think? I realize his coaching style may be that way but in his prime he was a bad ass linebacker for the old school Chicago Bears. Something tells me Ron was an alpha back in his day. As far as coaching goes though yeah way too conservative and not a risk taker at all I agree.

On defense, he probably still is.

The problem with Rivera was he followed in the footsteps of his mentor Buddy Ryan when it came to offense.

Ryan's philosophy was that all the offense (and primarily quarterback Randall Cunningham) needed to do was make two or three plays a game and his defense would take care of the rest.

You saw that reflected with Rivera and Newton.

Edited by Mr. Scot

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

On defense, he probably still is.

The problem with Rivera was he followed in the footsteps of his mentor Buddy Ryan when it came to offense.

Ryan's philosophy was that all the offense and primarily quarterback Randall Cunningham needed to do was make two or three plays a game and his defense would take care of the rest.

You saw that reflected with Rivera and Newton.

Great point.  You know, this thread "Meanwhile, in Washington" should probably be pinned and kept year round.