• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The “Deep OT class” may not be as deep at LT in scouts eyes

ncfan

Tackle is deep for RT and developmental LTs. Day one starters at LT are Sewell & Slater and obviously KC had no shot at them.  They are in 'win-now' mode so no time for a rookie LT to slowly develop. 

Tackle "not being deep" has to be taken with some perspective.  Day one starting LTs?  Nope, only two.  The tackle class overall?  Yes, it has some really good depth.

Edited by 45catfan
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

17 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Tackle is deep for RT and developmental LTs. Day one starters at LT are Sewell & Slater and obviously KC had no shot at them.  They are in 'win-now' mode so no time for a rookie LT to slowly develop. 

Tackle "not being deep" has to be taken with some perspective.  Day one starting LTs?  Nope, only two.  The tackle class overall?  Yes, it has some really good depth.

Nails it.  Sewell or slater at 8.   No exceptions.   I also think you can definitely find a starter at corner and safety in the 2nd.  There is no LT in the in the second tier that can come in and start day 1

The only issue I see with versatility is sometimes we get obsessed with it and it bites us big time. Having a bunch of guys that are capable of 2+ positions can be less viable than a master at one. I hope the mindset is get a legit LT and not a versatile one.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Michael G said:

If Sewell is available at 8 I think its a slam dunk. The big questions are- How much do they like Slater?  How do they rate Darrisaw? Do they like Slater enough to take at #8. Do they like Darrisaw enough to trade back if both he and Slater is available at #8?

If we trade back more than several picks, the staff has to love Darrisaw because Slater will be gone.  Personally, I'm not sold on Darrisaw.  He's not athletic enough for me.

• Beer 1

Maybe the guys who could play LT in the 2nd are not ideal day 1 starters but does that mean they couldn't beat out what we have on the roster to be a day 1 starter? On a non-contender does it really matter?

Looking at our roster I say yes they could win that competition. We need to be taking a LT in the first 2 rounds and not sweat it at all. A RT playing LT worked great with Gross and would still be an improvement for us, it's why we keep asking to see more of Moton over there the last couple of years lol.

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 1

There’s really good linemen in this draft, probably about 7-9 after Slater and Sewell in the top-40. Thing is, a lot are just a tad undersized for LT. Sewell and Slater are, then Radunz, Cosmi, Mayfield, etc. 

Darrisaw and Eichenberg have the size. 

Edited by davos