• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Rhule on Sam Darnold and the QB Situation

methodtoll

6 minutes ago, Riv said:

Darnold didn't have good players around him?  Maybe last year, but it's funny to say that Robby Anderson wasn't good with the Jets but was with the Panthers.  In 2019 he had: Anderson, Jamison Crowder and Demaryius Thoms at WR, which is pretty damn good.  He had Leveon Bell at RB.  That's a pretty good offense.  Granted, his coach was awful... but.

And when I say they don't know what they are doing, I mean their entire body of work so far.  

And during that year he has a statically decent season for a 2nd year pro. 

Entire Body?  

Hurney f'd up the Bridgewater deal.  I'll give you that Tepper should have fired him when he let Rivera. Tepper IMO did everything right with the exception of firing Hurney when he fired Rivera.

Rhule w/Hurney 2020 draft was probably our best draft in many years.

Rhule and Fitterer 2021 draft may in a couple of years be the key draft that brings us a Lombardi.

There isn't one organization that does everything right.  Not one.  Some are better than others but IMO we have a staff that will run with the upper echelon of team management. 

I guess you prefer the old regime. 

29 minutes ago, Riv said:

Darnold didn't have good players around him?  Maybe last year, but it's funny to say that Robby Anderson wasn't good with the Jets but was with the Panthers.  In 2019 he had: Anderson, Jamison Crowder and Demaryius Thoms at WR, which is pretty damn good.  He had Leveon Bell at RB.  That's a pretty good offense.  Granted, his coach was awful... but.

And when I say they don't know what they are doing, I mean their entire body of work so far.  

Demaryius Thomas was a bum.

I could count on one hand the number of times I even heard his name called.

The only players Sam had success with were Robbie (who ended up here) and Crowder.

He also threw to some TE named Hogan.  

Leveon Bell wasn't brought to the Jets to be a Wide Receiver.   He was brought there to run the ball....

...and he SUCKED at doing that.     Could've been the Offensive-line's doing (which is a possibility) but he did not get the job done.    So he wasn't any help for Sam.

It's not a case of Sam not having good players around him...it's a case of Sam not having *ENOUGH* good players around him.

As a Panther now. he will have MORE than enough.  

• Poo 1

I think Darnold could have a very Romo-like career here. Imo Romo lacked some elite pieces around him specifically on defense. It seemed like the Cowboys always gave him pretty good weapons but there was never an elite defense that could carry him in an off game. 

If you solve that for Darnold then he could have a really productive career here.