• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

No matter what happens

CPsinceDay1

56 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

According to Rhule the team feels they have recouped the picks they traded for Sam.  It costs them nothing to take a shot with him, and they got the top corner in the draft to boot.

I'd say they DGAF what fans, media or anyone else think about their decision.

P.S.  For the Fields fans, OSU QBs are off the table.

Writing off an entire school is not good scouting, but that’s for another debate (after all Burrow was stashed away at OSU for a couple years). Yeah he cost little capital, but they gave him no competition at all this year. They have (maybe too much) confidence in Darnold turning it around. People keep saying we can just try again next year, but no one knows how the draft and our circumstances will look next year. Reddick, Robbie, Moton, plus other players are signed through next year. Players like Howell and Rattler could struggle. I just saw how excited Fitts was about how young Darnold is and immediately compared compared him to players in the draft. That made me think he views him as a potential franchise QB. It could have all been for show knowing the camera was on, who knows?

42 minutes ago, Pup McBarky said:

So, let me see if I got this right. You're saying two people who have spent their entire adult careers coaching and learning about football don't get the concept that a franchise QB is pretty rare? And you know better?

There's no shortage of terrible NFL coaches and front office people. 

This is a discussion board. We discuss things football related. It's not a difficult concept to grasp. These "they know better than you" posts are useless.

5 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I just saw how excited Fitts was about how young Darnold is and immediately compared compared him to players in the draft. That made me think he views him as a potential franchise QB. It could have all been for show knowing the camera was on, who knows?

That video was taken months before he became a Panther.

If coaches and execs know better than us and there is no point ever discussing even the most minuscule of details why even bother with fandom at all on any level? You can share opinions and predictions without making an ass of yourself. Decisions made by those in charge have ramifications that will not be known for many months. But there is a reason why teams play musical chairs with coaches and executives so often. They are human just like any of us and make mistakes. Dave Gettleman has been involved in scouting and personnel development since 1986 and I don't think anyone here would say he is infallible or above reproach.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, ForJimmy said:

Ok? Still isn’t going to talk bad about a player on camera. That just really confirms they don’t think he is just a stop gap QB.

I agree they think he can be the guy, but at the time those discussions were filmed the decision to get Darnold hadn't been made.

I don't doubt they discussed his negatives as well as other options, but there's no incentive to put that in the video.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If your stance is that they know more than us so why bother discussing it, then what is the point of this place?

Exactly. Different people have different points of view. The Jets decided Darnold wasn’t the guy and they have professionals that have done this their whole life. Our staff thought differently.

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If your stance is that they know more than us so why bother discussing it, then what is the point of this place?

Except that is not my stance. It's fine to question our professional staff's decisions. Hell, professionals make mistakes all the time. But you claimed to be "concerned" that our professional staff didn't have some basic football knowledge...that a franchise QB was not a common commodity. Do you stand by that "concern?" 

15 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The the people that fall back on that argument never actually mean it because they usually have opinions counter to the team/coaches/players at some point. 

It's the typical lazy argument when you just don't like what is being said/read. 

Guess what, sometimes the posters on this board DO know better than NFL GM's/coaches/owners/etc. Just because they have more information or and/or more experience doesn't mean they aren't prone to making dumb errors or just being bad at their job. 

They aren't any different than any other workplace in the country. Some people suck, some people are great and the rest fall somewhere in between.

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Pie 2