• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Getzenberg looks at the left tackle options

Mr. Scot

Also, we have to look at who are serious contenders to take over Moton's spot at RT. Moton is going to expect top dollar in the marketplace and he may very well get it. I don't see us mortgaging the farm for a RT if we couldn't put more than a 3rd round draft pick into play for a very, very needed LT.

Also, I wouldn't be so sure that Trent Scott won't be the starting LT at the beginning of the season. Erving has the pedigree but Scott performed remarkably well for us when called on... better than Okung or anyone else we've had there for a while.

We've invested a bit in Erving, but if he looks too banged up to hold down the spot, there might be an injury settlement and a release. If he lives up to his old first round drafting, then we have a bargain there and Scott might have to take over for Moton next season.

Edited by Khyber53

I'd love to see if Little has improved any after a year in the system and a full offseason to think about his lack of success in 2020.  Ultimately I think he'll be our other post June 1 cut: 1m dead in each 2021 and 2022.

I'm actually a little surprised they didn't "Boston" him already.

2 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Also, we have to look at who are serious contenders to take over Moton's spot at RT. Moton is going to expect top dollar in the marketplace and he may very well get it. I don't see us mortgaging the farm for a RT if we couldn't put more than a 3rd round draft pick into play for a very, very needed LT.

Also, I wouldn't be so sure that Trent Scott won't be the starting LT at the beginning of the season. Erving has the pedigree but Scott performed remarkably well for us when called on... better than Okung or anyone else we've had there for a while.

We've invested a bit in Erving, but if he looks too banged up to hold down the spot, there might be an injury settlement and a release. If he lives up to his old first round drafting, then we have a bargain there and Scott might have to take over for Moton next season.

Nah, there was a clear drop off from Okung to Scott. We can hate on Okung all we want but he was the best LT we have had since Gross.

Scott did pretty well for what he was. I do think there is a good chance he wins that job if the new guys aren't an upgrade. He wasn't great but he held his own enough. Not a guy I would want as a long term starter but I could see him as a long term depth guy for certain.

• Pie 2

21 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Good article. I like the thought process on wanting versatility, especially as the league transitions to an 18 game schedule(all but an inevitability IMO). Injuries and having quality depth are going to get more magnified the more games are added. That was actually why I was shocked they didn't take Slater at 8. 

I definitely don't see any long term answers at LT on our roster currently but hopefully we won't be in the kind of shape we were last season when Okung went down. That goes with the OL as a whole. Those injuries along the OL really started to hurt a lot the deeper into the depth chart we had to go.

I don't think our starting OL will be appreciably better this season but at least we won't have that cliff like drop off we had last when the bench guys started to play. That was rough.

I had to emotionally adjust when we took Horn and not Slater, and I was also shocked that we did not trade back--possibly taking Slater or Darrisaw with Fields on the board.  However, I can say this with some degree of confidence-would we be talking about CB now if we had not taken one of the 2 true elite CBs.  I mentioned before the draft (rather reluctantly, I might add) that I felt we HAD to take a shut down, press CB based on the data (71% completion rate outside the numbers, 31st in the league in getting off the field on third down, etc.) We had Scott and Erving on the roster, so it really seemed to me that we were targeting Surtain or Horn (I thought Surtain, to be honest).

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

22 hours ago, BurnNChinn said:

Little will not make this team, what a wasted pick I even told people when they said he could be first rd pick. Wow that would have been horrendous, so glad Hurney is gone!

Just another horrible pick by Hurney. He also picked Little over some really good talent.

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

I had to emotionally adjust when we took Horn and not Slater, and I was also shocked that we did not trade back--possibly taking Slater or Darrisaw with Fields on the board.  However, I can say this with some degree of confidence-would we be talking about CB now if we had not taken one of the 2 true elite CBs.  I mentioned before the draft (rather reluctantly, I might add) that I felt we HAD to take a shut down, press CB based on the data (71% completion rate outside the numbers, 31st in the league in getting off the field on third down, etc.) We had Scott and Erving on the roster, so it really seemed to me that we were targeting Surtain or Horn (I thought Surtain, to be honest).

Yeah and perhaps they don't value OL as much as we do. And also perhaps they didn't view Slater as an elite LT prospect.

I was upset initially but I think we are gonna end up with a good player. The long term question of whether it was the correct choice is for another day.

In the meantime, I look forward to seeing Horn develop and possibly become another top 10-15 CB, which we have been lucky enough to have a few of in the past 15 years.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah and perhaps they don't value OL as much as we do. And also perhaps they didn't view Slater as an elite LT prospect.

I was upset initially but I think we are gonna end up with a good player. The long term question of whether it was the correct choice is for another day.

In the meantime, I look forward to seeing Horn develop and possibly become another top 10-15 CB, which we have been lucky enough to have a few of in the past 15 years.

If you look at the team stats from last season, I think Carolina's draft logic becomes more clear.

As chaotic as they were, the Panthers OL was middle of the road (18th) in sacks allowed for 2020.   You want to improve on that but it's not a glaring weakness for the team.

However the defense was ranked 31st in 3rd down completions last season.  So Carolina was basically one of the very worst in the NFL for getting opposing teams off of the field.  

I think that poor 3rd down ranking encouraged Fitterer/Rhule to go CB with the first pick.  The choice  became even more attractive when they could get one of the very top defenders in the draft who was battle tested in the SEC.  And Horn also had off-the-charts athleticism which would allow the defensive coordinator to scheme press coverage more often.  That's especially important in the pass-happy NFC South.  

The BPA philosophy and Carolina's team needs pretty much aligned at pick #8 for the selection of Horn.

Okung.... I mean if not for Scott Finesser and him missing half the games last year, bring him back. He would be the starter if he signed today. I just dont see how after Seahawks got rid of him and missing 9 games that helps the case for a return. I bet he wants 10+ million too, that would also be a issue. 

Plus how badass would it be if Little was a legit LT.....this team would give any other teams problems for the next 10 years. 

I seen Erving recently, he looks thin, but in shape. He could shock everyone and give the Panthers 17 games of high level LT play.