• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Auto market

Ja  Rhule

19 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

I think the economic assistance checks we all received helped to create a bubble in used and new car sales. It's going to be a bloodbath when the bubble bursts. If you're buying, wait a year.

If you work in a car lot or own one, Lord help you six months from now. There's going to be a lot of inventory and not many buyers. 

Low end is where you will want to be.

When the payments start adding up, and the checks are gone...here comes the repo man...those folks will still need transport...so buy here pay here places will be in good shape.

At least that's my hunch.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

My 2014 Jeep Sahara bought in 2016 for $35k. Some minor upgrades made- 35" tires on 18" wheels with a 2.5" lift. SmittyBilt Defender roof rack, LED head and foglights; KC 5" off-road lights, upgraded speakers. Just rolled 90k miles; had 34k miles when I bought it.  

Was offered $30k last week.

1229778596_Jeep8.jpg.9e7120347f2faa71c144407a1554cf88.jpg

I would've sold it. Then again, I'll never have a Jeep as a daily driver ever again. I prefer my Jeeps with rock rash and body damage.

19 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I would've sold it. Then again, I'll never have a Jeep as a daily driver ever again. I prefer my Jeeps with rock rash and body damage.

I traded a Tahoe LTZ loaded to the gills for my JK. I love my Jeep. Don't do any rock-crawling with it, but overlanding and trail runs are a blast. Got the roof rack for the wife & gear and the dogs ride with me....

3 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

Sorry I don't meet your high standards.

LOL! It's not you. It's just a term that's been hijacked by people who don't actually off-road but build an off-road vehicle (easily identified by largely useless modifications) and occasionally drive it down a dirt or gravel road.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

LOL! It's not you. It's just a term that's been hijacked by people who don't actually off-road but build an off-road vehicle (easily identified by largely useless modifications) and occasionally drive it down a dirt or gravel road.

I wasn't aware. I simply stay off trails that are rated much more than a 5. If I wanted to build a rock-crawler that probably spent more time getting wrenched on than driven, I'd do it. But at my age, I'd rather take the easier trails in Uwharrie, camp for a couple days and not have to replace axles, trailing arms, etc. Get out the hose, clean it off and drive it to work.  

• Pie 3

3 hours ago, Anybodyhome said:

I wasn't aware. I simply stay off trails that are rated much more than a 5. If I wanted to build a rock-crawler that probably spent more time getting wrenched on than driven, I'd do it. But at my age, I'd rather take the easier trails in Uwharrie, camp for a couple days and not have to replace axles, trailing arms, etc. Get out the hose, clean it off and drive it to work.  

This is my old Jeep in one of it's iterations. It's a '97 TJ I've owned since '99. Next up will be full size axles. The LS swap is coming but that tired old engine keeps on ticking.

48253_467005333022_6241835_o.jpg

• Pie 1

My SUV sh*t the bed earlier this year and I took advantage of carmax to get rid of a problem vehicle for a ridiculously good price not too long ago. Now I'm daily driving my classic T-bird and am in need of a new truck (looking at fully loaded mid-size, leaning Ranger tremor right now but also looking at ZR2 and Tacos). This market absolutely blows, all the trucks I look at are pretty much sold before they even get to the lot for sticker or above. I like driving my bird and it's in great shape so I've been able to buy myself a bit of time but who knows when things will change. My deadline to get a new truck is when snow hits here in Boston, and I'm not hopeful that things will be much better by then... My thoughts are at least it can't get worse than right now. 

Have also thought about buying a stopgap vehicle for the winter essentially but prices are inflated pretty much across the board and there aren't many great options for that.

19 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This is my old Jeep in one of it's iterations. It's a '97 TJ I've owned since '99. Next up will be full size axles. The LS swap is coming but that tired old engine keeps on ticking.

48253_467005333022_6241835_o.jpg

Think about dropping a diesel in it. The right rear end and it'll have more torque than you could imagine.

4 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

Think about dropping a diesel in it. The right rear end and it'll have more torque than you could imagine.

Don't need the torque and definitely don't want the accompanying weight. Even a small 3.9 Cummins is roughly twice the weight of an LS V8.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Don't need the torque and definitely don't want the accompanying weight. Even a small 3.9 Cummins is roughly twice the weight of an LS V8.

True, but no need to go that big. The new Jeeps are running a 3.0 turbo diesel with an advertised 442 ft lbs. I drove one a month or so ago... pretty impressive. But, it's also a $70k Jeep.

1 hour ago, Anybodyhome said:

True, but no need to go that big. The new Jeeps are running a 3.0 turbo diesel with an advertised 442 ft lbs. I drove one a month or so ago... pretty impressive. But, it's also a $70k Jeep.

Yeah, the big appeal of LS engines is that they're everywhere and being everywhere they're cheap and parts are plentiful. Tons of aftermarket performance parts too, but for my application I don't need that. I'll keep it stock.