• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Robby Anderson being shopped?

Robby Anderson had a 1,000-yard season for the first time in his career last year but it remains to be seen if he can repeat that this year.

There is a lot riding on the 2021 campaign for Anderson, which is the last one on the two-year deal he signed last spring that included $20 million fully guaranteed.

The Panthers brought in Terrace Marshall Jr. and Shi Smith during the NFL Draft to further boost their options at wide receiver, so the pressure will be on the 30 year Anderson to get the job done and earn himself a big payday in the process. Depending on how much money they can free up, he might even price himself out of reach for the Panthers.

If Anderson can prove he isn’t just a one trick, 1,000 yard receiver, there will be more than a few teams looking in his direction if he's allowed to test the free-agent market next year.

The Panthers had to make a choice between Curtis Samuel and Taylor Moton this year, which wasn’t that difficult. If the same happens between Anderson and Donte Jackson, my guess is they would chose Jackson..

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, KatsAzz said:

The Panthers had to make a choice between Curtis Samuel and Taylor Moton this year, which wasn’t that difficult. If the same happens between Anderson and Donte Jackson, my guess is they would chose Jackson..

Honestly, I'm not sure Jackson starts this year. I could see a move to nickel for him. If it happens, it'll be interesting. He's a hot head and that could go either way. He could play his ass off with a massive chip on his shoulder or he could get butthurt and pout.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Honestly, I'm not sure Jackson starts this year. I could see a move to nickel for him. If it happens, it'll be interesting. He's a hot head and that could go either way. He could play his ass off with a massive chip on his shoulder or he could get butthurt and pout.

I always wanted Jackson to be the nickel.   We have a history of being forced to move guys ideally suited for the nickel to the outside.   I think his gambling nature is better suited there. 

• Pie 1

21 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Eh, I see a lot of speculation and not much else.

While it is highly doubtful we are "shopping" him, all sorts of names and ideas come up on draft day and a few days before.  If his name was trotted out, it was not necessarily shopping him as much as seeing if somebody would pay a king's ransom for him or anybody else.  That's the business.

But all the speculation over something that originated on Walter Football?  Next time I cross paths with the wino who hangs around near the center of town I'll ask him if he can confirm any of this.

Pretty much.

1 minute ago, CRA said:

I always wanted Jackson to be the nickel.   We have a history of being forced to move guys ideally suited for the nickel to the outside.   I think his gambling nature is better suited there. 

His poor tackling concerns me there though. That nickel is pretty key in run defense.

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

His poor tackling concerns me there though. That nickel is pretty key in run defense.

yeah, he is one of those freak athletes IMO.  Where he is more great athlete than great football player. 

his track speed has always bumped his perceived ability up a notch IMO.  Those guys are always frustrating. 

• Pie 1

29 minutes ago, CRA said:

It might not be because he dislikes Sam specifically but the scenario he finds himself in. 

It could just be he is in the last year of his contract coming off a breakout season.  It's a business.  It's not an ideal spot to go into this season like that.   Players want some security when they think they deserve it.  

Imagine if Robbie broke his leg week 2?  It's a perfectly reasonable stance that Robbie's team could of already been in serious talks with the new GM about Robbie's situation.  In fact, I would think that is likely a certainty.  

Well worrying about INJURY is much different than simply wanting out because of Sam and the Scenario he's in (that you described). 

Seeking an extension in that regard(Injury concerns) makes a hell of a lot more sense.

2 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

Well worrying about INJURY is much different than simply wanting out because of Sam and the Scenario he's in (that you described). 

Seeking an extension in that regard(Injury concerns) makes a hell of a lot more sense.

Just throwing stuff out there.  

and yeah, no NFL players likes going in to play on a 1 year deal.  Especially one whose stock is high.   It's a bad spot for Robbie IMO.  More downside than upside as things currently stand. 

and yeah, Sam's personal likeability and potential down the road aside, it isn't a great spot for Robbie to have his future at this point....tied to how Sam Darnold does in a 2021 vacuum.  Robbie might love Sam the person.  But Sam is a project who hasn't been developed properly.   And that is per Robbie.   

if I was Robbie, I wouldn't like that.

I think some are overly defensive of Sam Darnold 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I can think of a better word for what you're throwing.

I think I get it, but I am not sure...

Let me guess, would that word also be an accurate description of Sam Darnold's play in the NFL? 

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

I think I get it, but I am not sure...

Let me guess, would that word also be an accurate description of Sam Darnold's play in the NFL? 

That, or your previous takes about how Darnold was just insurance and we were drafting Justin Fields.

Lemme guess? Robbie Anderson is sitting next to you in the room?

Edited by Mr. Scot

15 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

That, or your previous takes about how we were drafting Justin Fields.

Lemme guess? Robbie Anderson is sitting next to you in the room?

I wanted us to take Fields.  I feared the new GM from Seattle would take Horn.  Which he did. 

is Robbie Anderson sitting here? Robbie could be.  How likely is it?  I don't know.  I'm not very good at math and giving you accurate odds of likely something is to be true or false.    Which Robbie Anderson are we talking about?  Robbie from accounting?  Are we talking a physical human?  I don't know man.   Anything is possible.   I mean Sam Darnold could be great.  Never rule anything in life 100% out.....at most I would go with 99.99999999999999999%.  But never 100%. 

3 hours ago, CRA said:

Just throwing stuff out there.  

and yeah, no NFL players likes going in to play on a 1 year deal.  Especially one whose stock is high.   It's a bad spot for Robbie IMO.  More downside than upside as things currently stand. 

and yeah, Sam's personal likeability and potential down the road aside, it isn't a great spot for Robbie to have his future at this point....tied to how Sam Darnold does in a 2021 vacuum.  Robbie might love Sam the person.  But Sam is a project who hasn't been developed properly.   And that is per Robbie.   

if I was Robbie, I wouldn't like that.

I think some are overly defensive of Sam Darnold 

Just making poo up?

You can put your words in Andersons mouth but that doesn't make them his.

Just now, Moo Daeng said:

Just making poo up?

You can put your words in Andersons mouth but that doesn't make them his.

lol.  I'm not putting words in Robbie mouth.

It's guesses of a why...if we were to believe the rumor of the GM shopping Robbie were true.  I mean, why are you in a thread discussing the rumor if you don't want to discuss the rumor?