• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Darnold comes in at No. 19 in Chris Simms' Quarterback rankings

SBBlue

"When you're around crap  and crap's all around you, you're going to start to smell like crap and get some crap on you too."

"When I watch him on film, I see a guy who has a lightening quick release, can make every throw on the football field..."

"He's a way better athlete than people give him credit for."

"The guy went for a 52 yard touchdown against the Denver Broncos.  Right up the middle.  Weaved through everybody."

• Pie 9

5 minutes ago, PandaMan said:

fug it, I’ve been drinking all night and I’m just gonna say, Sam Darnold will be our quarterback for the next ten+ years. He will be a franchise guy for us.  I’m in a good mood

I don't agree with everything Simms says, but I hope he's right here.  I'd be happy with middle-ish of the pack performance.

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, jfra78 said:

If he is the QB for the next 10 years this will be considered the greatest trade in Panthers history, topping the Olsen trade.

Yup.  There's potential here, and there are a lot of analyst who believe that it has a reasonable potential to work.

56 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I hope not. That's worst case scenario IMO. Purgatory. I want him to be the answer or flop so that we can move on. Anything in between just delays the rebuild. Be the answer or be the one who gets us the one.

Maybe.  I'm not clear on how high you want the bar set.  It's unlikely he'll be a top 10 QB the first year on a new team, new system.  

He has to be better than Teddy.   

Teddy's Ranks QBR:17   PR 22 

Tom Brady was 9 in both categories.  

If he's worse than Teddy, we'll probably cut the cord.

• Pie 1

I mean from 32 to 19 is a nice jump. If he is trending up and ranking around middle of the pack that shouldn’t be too bad. I don’t think anyone thinks he can jump from 32 to the top 10 in one season with a new team/staff/offense, right? If that happens Brady might be the next great coach for whoever signs him.

• Pie 2

26 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

Maybe.  I'm not clear on how high you want the bar set.  It's unlikely he'll be a top 10 QB the first year on a new team, new system.  

He has to be better than Teddy.   

Teddy's Ranks QBR:17   PR 22 

Tom Brady was 9 in both categories.  

If he's worse than Teddy, we'll probably cut the cord.

I don’t think our staff is going to look at QBR. You can have a great QBR and still lose games. Teddy ranking 17 is middle if the pack, yet he was 0-8 in game winning drives. If Darnold is 19, but makes the throws needed to win games that would be a nice upgrade. If he becomes the leader of the offense and gets some wins due to his play, I think we roll with him again.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

I mean from 32 to 19 is a nice jump. If he is trending up and ranking around middle of the pack that shouldn’t be too bad. I don’t think anyone thinks he can jump from 32 to the top 10 in one season with a new team/staff/offense, right? If that happens Brady might be the next great coach for whoever signs him.

Some point to Tannehill as an example of a jump like that.  He was older, had better success earlier in his career before Gase, and was battling injuries, so some argue its not a fair comparison.

We really don't know what we have.  You see flashes of a really good QB, there was just so much crap, it's hard to say.  

We'll find out.

5 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I don’t think our staff is going to look at QBR. You can have a great QBR and still lose games. Teddy ranking 17 is middle if the pack, yet he was 0-8 in game winning drives. If Darnold is 19, but makes the throws needed to win games that would be a nice upgrade. If he becomes the leader of the offense and gets some wins due to his play, I think we roll with him again.

Oh I agree.  QBR and PR are just indicators.  I would never make QB decisions just on either of them and I can see where you got that from my post.    

We should cut him if the coaches determine his play was bad.  If your play is bad, it is often reflected in the indicators.

Edited by SBBlue
  • Pie 1

14 hours ago, SBBlue said:

I don't agree with everything Simms says, but I hope he's right here.  I'd be happy with middle-ish of the pack performance.

Phew I don’t even remember posting that 😅 but I’m with ya.  Simms has been really accurate with QB draft rankings the past few years, even if a lot of what he says sounds like nonsense.  Even 19th in the league would be better than what we got last year, right?  Please?  I just want one game winning drive 

• Pie 2