• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Article on Brady Christiansen

SBBlue

link:Panthers 2021 season opener countdown: 70 days to go - Cat Scratch Reader

Back in May we wrote that at least one analyst was pegging Christensen in as the Panthers’ starting left tackle.

CBS Sports’ Chris Trapasso named the rookie Christensen as his number six “instant impact rookie” heading into the 2021 season.

Here’s what Trapasso said:

Quietly, Christensen is the likely Week 1 starter for the Panthers at left tackle, protecting Sam Darnold. Sure, he’ll battle it out with 2019 second-round pick Greg Little, but the former Ole Miss star hasn’t come close to meeting expectations early in his NFL career and has no connections to the current Carolina staff.

But only two weeks ago, Sports Illustrated suggested that Christensen could end up starting at right tackle, seemingly paving the way for Panthers franchise tackle Taylor Moton to move to the left side.

“We think he’s a right tackle,” Panthers head coach Matt Rhule told Sports Illustrated. “He certainly has the ability to be on the left but I think most of us would like to have more length over on the left side. So, he’s playing right tackle but I think he can be a guy that can go inside and be an excellent guard. I’ve been really pleased with him and his ability to play tackle. When we drafted him we thought, hey, there’s a guy that’s going to find a place to play and I feel good about him out there.”

It could mean one of two things, noted Sports Illustrated.

“One, Christensen will be stuck sitting behind Taylor Moton until they feel like they could use Chistensen’s help more at guard. Or they plan to groom him into the starting right tackle role and flip Moton over to the left side. However, Rhule also stated earlier in the week that despite giving Moton some reps at left tackle, the plan is to keep him on the right side. He’s been so dominant at that spot and has played there for so long that switching now would be very difficult.”

Edited by SBBlue
  • Pie 3

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I would say that BC is unlikely to be an "Instant Impact" guy at the moment. Seems like more of a high ceiling project. 

Perhaps he crushes it during training camp and then makes the starting five somewhere. That is the ideal result.

Moton didn't start a single game his rookie year.  I hope we can ease BC into starting.  

Edited by SBBlue

1 minute ago, SBBlue said:

Moton didn't start a single game his rookie year.  I hope we can ease BC into starting.  

I just hope BC isn't a pure whiff. Frankly, if he can't secure a starting spot somewhere on the line with the guys we have on the roster, it isn't a good sign at all.

This has to be one of the easiest NFL OL units to snag a starting spot on.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

Just now, TheSpecialJuan said:

I think Christensen winds up being our week1 starting RG 

LT - Cameron Erving 

LG- Pat Elflein

C - Matt Paradis

RG - Brady Christensen 

RT - Taylor Moton 

Even with Erving continuing his improvement from last year and Elflein scraping off the jets stink...

That looks like we'll be rolling right a lot.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, onmyown said:

He can’t beat our Little or Daley or Erving? That will be a sad thing to hear. Beating them doesn’t even mean he’s starting caliber…but at least his mistakes will be because he is a rookie.

Don't forget Scott, he started a couple there last year and didn't look too bad.

7 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

Don't forget Scott, he started a couple there last year and didn't look too bad.

I was on record as saying I don't think we will have a LT starter with more than 8 games started. Given the injury history of our candidates, I think it will be a platoon effort.

3rd round offensive linemen rarely make an instant impact.  If he can win a starting guard spot, that would be good enough for me.

If he does indeed end up starting at right tackle, and actually plays average in his rookie season, I'd be pretty excited.  We have a coaching staff that I believe will develop players.  The question is will Moton go to the left side and can he make the transition, and we really don't have any evidence to say that he won't.

• Pie 2

Can't decide if he is going to be a tackle or a guard. Does not inspire confidence for the time being. I would be less concerned about the lack of consensus or cohesion on the line if we had a veteran quarterback behind there. For all the complaints about Bridgewater as a passer he did at times make last years o line look better than they actually were with some nice scrambles.

• Beer 1