• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Article on Brady Christiansen

SBBlue

1 hour ago, SOJA said:

we have the makings of a really solid offensive line...if we just had a LT

They are rated so low by everybody, they have to be underrated or we're going to need more than 3 QBs.    We have added some great depth, just not standout LTs.

Moton to LT and BC to RT may be the goal.  

We may start the season Moton LT and Erving RT.

• Pie 2

Brady Christiansen will be starting somewhere on the OL by season's end.  That I'm pretty confident in.

Where he starts (OG vs OT, left vs right side) and when he starts (first game or mid season) is to be determined.  

He's just too good and our OL is too unsettled for it not to happen.  

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

They are rated so low by everybody, they have to be underrated or we're going to need more than 3 QBs.    We have added some great depth, just not standout LTs.

Moton to LT and BC to RT may be the goal.  

We may start the season Moton LT and Erving RT.

While I agree that's probably the best short term solution IMO the best longterm solution is to leave Moton at RT and add a LT. 

This all gets back to my theory that the Panthers *really, really, really* wanted Sewell. A top flight CB is great, but we put a lot of chips in getting our top rated LT in the draft as we did nothing to address it in FA. 

I also believe the Panthers were a lot lower on Slater and Darrisaw than people think 

Edited by SOJA
  • Pie 3

3 minutes ago, SOJA said:

While I agree that's probably the best short term solution IMO the best longterm solution is to leave Moton at RT and add a LT. 

Unless Moton plays LT to the level he plays RT.  He has before for us.

This all gets back to my theory that the Panthers *really, really, really* wanted Sewell.

The Lions didn't even need him, they already had a LT, they put Sewell at RT.

I also believe the Panthers were a lot lower on Slater and Darrisaw than people think 

I think they put a all those guys together on a shelf.  The run on tackles in the 2nd round caught us with our pants down, it looked like we were literally praying when the Bengals picked.  It appears from Panthers Confidential that we were targeting BC  as a key pick for the OL and we got our guy.  Tepper was absolutely elated.

I think we were surprised that Deonte fell into our lap, and the potential there is huge. 

I essentially wanted the Bears draft.  Fields in the first round, Jenkins in the second.  They zigged, we zagged.  

• Pie 2

10 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

Unless Moton plays LT to the level he plays RT.  He has before for us.

The Lions didn't even need him, they already had a LT, they put Sewell at RT.

I think they put a all those guys together on a shelf.  The run on tackles in the 2nd round caught us with our pants down, it looked like we were literally praying when the Bengals picked.  It appears from Panthers Confidential that we were targeting BC  as a key pick for the OL and we got our guy.  Tepper was absolutely elated.

I think we were surprised that Deonte fell into our lap, and the potential there is huge. 

I essentially wanted the Bears draft.  Fields in the first round, Jenkins in the second.  They zigged, we zagged.  

I mean Fields was the right pick and I will defend that till the day I die. 

While talking about roster, here's an article from yesterday on  Daley:

Carolina Panthers OL Dennis Daley facing a critical training camp (catcrave.com)

"Daley was unable to take the field early in the (2020) season due to injury. This prevented him from participating in the campaign until Week 7 and there were further complications for the former sixth-round pick to deal with after Carolina’s Week 11 outing against the Detroit Lions.

This inevitably saw Daley placed on the reserve/injured list prior to the Panthers locking horns with the Washington Football Team in their penultimate game of the season.

...Daley has experience operating as a guard or protecting the edge. Something the Panthers absolutely love judging by their recruitment since Rhule’s appointment.

He was thrown to the wolves as a rookie, giving up eight sacks and conceding four penalties when Daley clearly wasn’t ready to see the field....Daley should make the roster. Carolina isn’t blessed with great depth and it’s going to take the likes of Deonte Brown, Brady Christensen, and perhaps David Moore time to make the adjustments needed to forge successful careers in the NFL."

If we only keep 9, I don't see us keeping Daley over Moore at this point.   Daley needs a really good camp.

15 minutes ago, SOJA said:

I mean Fields was the right pick and I will defend that till the day I die. 

Unfortunately, I have to wish we were wrong, and Darnold balls out. 

The jets were so bad at every level of the game (worst oline, wr's  who couldn't separate or catch and a horrible scheme).  At one point, they literally had trouble snapping the ball. 

What’s causing the Jets’ ‘snowballing’ snap issues (nypost.com)

If ever there was  case where a QB's talent was hidden under the pile of crap around him....this was it.

Edited by SBBlue
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, SOJA said:

We didn’t see them as elite talent at least, and in the 8th spot you take an elite player if he’s there. CB was a position of need, in some capacity. Slater and Darrisaw don’t scream elite talent, in our scouts eyes anyway. They may have been trade back options had we gone that route but it’s obvious Horn was their #2 guy.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, SBBlue said:

Yes, but start where?  He has played every position on the line.  That is one cheap vet FA LT contract.   He has to stay healthy and win it, which is a big if.  He's already hurt.   

We kept 9 OL to make 53 last year.   Just deciding which 9 to keep isn't easy.  Here's my guess:

Make the Team
72 Taylor Moton T
75 Cameron Erving T
60 Pat Elflein G
61 Matt Paradis C
70 Brady Christensen T
78 Trent Scott T
67 John Miller G
77 Deonte Brown G
68 David Moore G

Practice squad or Cut
65 Dennis Daley G
74 Greg Little T
71 Sam Tecklenburg G
66 Mike Horton G
62 Aaron Monteiro T
63 Matt Kaskey T
73 Martez Ivey T

If we put Moore on the PS, someone will snatch him.  

its a cheap FA LT contract when you compare it to other starters and that is my point, the contract is indicative of someone expecting to start.  Maybe if he is a really good swing tackle you can justify it, maybe.

If he doesn't start I would guess he will be one of the highest paid backups in the league at OT.

1 hour ago, SOJA said:

This all gets back to my theory that the Panthers *really, really, really* wanted Sewell. A top flight CB is great, but we put a lot of chips in getting our top rated LT in the draft as we did nothing to address it in FA. 

I would agree with this.  The Erving makes some sense also with Sewell.  Maybe Sewell starts later in the year, even great OT prospects seem to struggle first year.  Even if Sewell takes the job day one maybe you don't mind over paying Erving to be a backup.  

There was considerable chatter that some teams viewed Slater as more of a guard prospect. Maybe they though Christensen was similar to that and they could get him later.

Best guess Sewell was 1st on the board and then Horn was 2nd, with 3rd being a bit of a drop off, hence the reason we seemed hesitant to trade down.

• Pie 2

16 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

If he doesn't start I would guess he will be one of the highest paid backups in the league at OT.

His contract pay is  G or RT money like Jesse Davis at G , Zach Banner RT and Brandon Shell RT.

On paper, Erving at LT looks scary.  He did look better in Dallas, so maybe we feel we can coach him up.