• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: No movement in Panthers’ talks w/ Taylor Moton

8 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

I don't like this.  Moton is a very smart man and a hell of asset to this team.  I would hate to lose him over a couple million extra guaranteed money in the contract.  Must be that or the length of the contract they are dickering over.  I'm on Morons side of this if you can't tell.

Lose him to exactly whom?

6 hours ago, TheSpecialJuan said:
21 hours ago, AndrewLaskoski said:

$13.75M this year and $16.5 next year (120% of this years tag) is probably more reasonable than what Moton is asking for

yes

The reality of this is tagging guys like Moton until you can't tag them anymore is probably the most cost effective (and prudent) way to retain said talent...

...Tepper &Co. should fully use the tools they are given.  

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 2

5 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Folks, giving a player what he wants does not make you a winner.  Most teams that overpay underperform.  Do your homework.  This is going to be tough, but a RT is worth a RT salary.

There isn't much difference these days. Williams got 23 and Ramcyzk got almost 20 a year average so Moton will surely get paid, but the devil is in the details which will fall in place next week. If not he will play elsewhere and we will keep fielding crappy lines over a few million a year here and there.

• Pie 2

3 hours ago, SizzleBuzz said:

The reality of this is tagging guys like Moton until you can't tag them anymore is probably the most cost effective (and prudent) way to retain said talent...

You want a player to be fired up to.play and give his all. I can't think of a better way to make a player disgruntled then to tag them.multiple times. And if you don't think how a player feels matters to how they play then no.need to discuss it further.

11 hours ago, panthers55 said:

There isn't much difference these days. Williams got 23 and Ramcyzk got almost 20 a year average so Moton will surely get paid, but the devil is in the details which will fall in place next week. If not he will play elsewhere and we will keep fielding crappy lines over a few million a year here and there.

It is a tough call. We could pay his salary with our dead cap.  I have a feeling that is the best measure of a GM.   However, 55, when I look at the player, I think, "sign him."  When I step back, I think, "If we overpay all of our core players, can we be competitive."  Moton will get a deal in the $19m range, and that could have been lower if they signed him last season.

16 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

It is a tough call. We could pay his salary with our dead cap.  I have a feeling that is the best measure of a GM.   However, 55, when I look at the player, I think, "sign him."  When I step back, I think, "If we overpay all of our core players, can we be competitive."  Moton will get a deal in the $19m range, and that could have been lower if they signed him last season.

You have to decide who are your core guys  who are worth a bigger part of your cap and who are roster guys who are paid less or are on rookie deals or prove it contracts. Plus you have to decide what it would cost to replace him and is that guy already on the roster. Ofcourse we can pay Moton this year. A long term deal could cost less than his current tag number if his salary is small because the signing bonus serves as his salary in year 1. And as long as the guaranteed money is controlled we should be fine. Locking up one tackle position be it right or left is surely worth the money. With the cap set to jump next year it should be no problem to pay Moton and still have plenty if we just control the dead cap money from bad deals.

12 hours ago, panthers55 said:

With our salery cap next year we could just tag him again. Probably not the most ideal way but better than no Moton. Either way they may be just waiting till they know he can play LT to pay him.

• Beer 1

You want a player to be fired up to.play and give his all. I can't think of a better way to make a player disgruntled then to tag them.multiple times.

DGAF about a player having hurt feelings when he's collecting $13.7M to play a game.  

nd if you don't think how a player feels matters to how they play then no.need to discuss it further.

Absolutely it matters and every Sunday I want my guys coming out of the locker room super pissed off with an "I will show them" attitude and ready to rip the head off every person on the other side of the ball every play...

...unless you're saying Moton is a quitter?

I don't think he is.

54 minutes ago, Snake said:

With our salery cap next year we could just tag him again. Probably not the most ideal way but better than no Moton. Either way they may be just waiting till they know he can play LT to pay him.

Tagging a player doesn't make then happy. Tagging them twice is a good formula for them to sit out a year and them go to the highest bidder.

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

Depends. Was Marty still doling out the paychecks last season? If so then I seriously doubt it would have been cheaper.

38 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

DGAF about a player having hurt feelings when he's collecting $13.7M to play a game.  

Absolutely it matters and every Sunday I want my guys coming out of the locker room super pissed off with an "I will show them" attitude and ready to rip the head off every person on the other side of the ball every play...

I don't think he is.

How many times does any team use the franchise tag multiple times on a player? I think it has been used 13 times and usually to try and get a long term deal done.  Otherwise  you end up with a Le' Veon Bell or Clowney situation.  Moton is still young and worth a long term deal at this point. If we don't sign him long-term I doubt we will. Then again with a new GM it is hard to rule anything out.

16 hours ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Lose him to exactly whom?

You do realize there are 31 other teams out there. Many are looking for Tackle help. And many of them have money to spend.

16 hours ago, SizzleBuzz said:

You can only tag a guy 3 times. By then you will have paid 110%, 120%, and 141%. Way more than what a 4 or 5 year contract would pay.

14 hours ago, SizzleBuzz said:

"Fitt" is not in charge...

...at a minimum he is 3rd in line.

This is not true.

47 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

I don't think he is.

You do understand that Players do not like being Tagged? And yet, you not only want to tag Moton once, you want to do it 3 times? And then expect him to not only be happy about it, but play his ass off as well?

Yeah, that probably ain't happening.

• Pie 3