• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trey Lance

NAS

8 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

Watch him..

https://youtu.be/sW3uhFenWlY

Mixed bag for sure. Looks like a rookie. There is promise. But still a rookie. Worth noting he was going up against the Chiefs starting dline. For the most part he kept his composure in some tough circumstances like that first down strike from his own end zone. Considering how little he played in college it's still fairly impressive. It doesn't hurt that his coach is Kyle Shanahan tho.

I'm watching from afar with some interest. Lance was always going to need a lot of reps, but like Shanahan said, for a first outing it was a pretty good day, as was Fields'. I'm not crowning either one yet; that take's time and reps!

Darnold should show better than either one of them in September, based upon his experience alone. If he doesn't--especially Fields since we passed on him--then there will be grumblings. Where Lance comes in for me, is that our coaches apparently said that he didn't fit our system, but some scouts said that he'd fit ANY system; if he becomes as dynamic in this league as I think that he will be, then that will speak to our coaches' ability or lack thereof to see obvious talent at the most important position in professional sports.

Don't get me wrong, the story is being written, and it can go to Rhule's script...or not. But, it better be close.

• Pie 3

7 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

He looked uncomfortable and awkward. As is expected given his situation. But to pretend he didn't doesn't change it.

You seem to be pretending that he looked completely lost out there, and that's not going to change the fact that he did not. He looked like a rookie with promise who has made strides, and that's basically all anyone is saying.

4 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I'm watching from afar with some interest. Lance was always going to need a lot of reps, but like Shanahan said, for a first outing it was a pretty good day, as was Fields'. I'm not crowning either one yet; that take's time and reps!

Darnold should show better than either one of them in September, based upon his experience alone. If he doesn't--especially Fields since we passed on him--then there will be grumblings. Where Lance comes in for me, is that our coaches apparently said that he didn't fit our system, but some scouts said that he'd fit ANY system; if he becomes as dynamic in this league as I think that he will be, then that will speak to our coaches' ability or lack thereof to see obvious talent at the most important position in professional sports.

Don't get me wrong, the story is being written, and it can go to Rhule's script...or not. But, it better be close.

I've been saying it for awhile now - I have serious concerns about Rhule and company's ability to evaluate the QB position.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 2

48 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's been confirmed that putting off the Darnold decision was just part of fishing for offers. We were always planning to take his fifth year option.

As to Lance, the word was they didn't think he'd fit our system. That's why they didn't attend his second pro day.

So yes, they were that confident in Darnold, and still are.

Will they turn out to be right?

Guess we'll see.

Good points, Scot, but I don't trust their word on that.  Rhule has shown on multiple occasions to say things that weren't exactly true...  It's possible they didn't commit because they were waiting to see how the draft shook out first and then the reason they gave for fishing for offers after the fact wouldn't have undercut Sam's confidence early.  They were still able to sell it as "he's our guy."  But, I acknowledge it also could be exactly what they said...

As far as Lance, I just hate when I hear that stuff as an excuse.  If you have a talent you believe in, you cater and tailor your system around them.  It happens all the time.  But, it is clear thus far, that Rhule (and/or Brady) prefers QBs who manage the game and wants rely more on the entirety of his team and "program" over guys with ability to take over an entire game on their own.  I say this as well because from pre-draft reports, they said Lance was incredible on the whiteboard, demonstrated fast processing, and killed it in pre-draft interviews...  which pretty much translates well to any system.  Not saying he was in our reach bc he went #3, but as you said, we didn't even show interest.

Again, I just hope they're right about Darnold, but nothing I've seen or heard so far has changed my mind much about him.  He has some really nice throws and moments, but he also has some really bad ones, and our OL is in shambles.  But again, I hope I am wrong.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I've been saying it for awhile now - I have serious concerns about Rhule and company's ability to evaluate the QB position.

My concern is not yet serious, but I understand why yours is. I hope not to be where you are in a few weeks.🤣

Edited by top dawg

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

That is because it is not a position--it is a network.  The OL, WRs, TEs, RBs, Defense, Offensive Coordinators, head coach--they all have a lot to do with the success of the QB...And Darnold was in NY where he had the worst of all of these...Let's give him a chance.

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Just posted the same thing in my reply to Scot regarding the report that we felt he didn't fit our system.  It's garbage.  

And again, I just go back to their decision to jettison Cam on the last year of his deal to bring in a game manager on a more lucrative contract.  That right there crystallized a lot in regards to how Rhule views and evaluates the QB position.  I get the concerns about Cam's shoulder and health, but the only games he ended up missing were due to covid.  He still produced a ton, mostly in the run game, and he still has tremendous velocity on his throws even post-shoulder injury (he just can't throw as far).  Funny thing is, that velocity and running ability and the lack thereof in Bridgewater is exactly what caused us to lose those 8 games on the last drive with him at the helm.  So the exact things they gave up by getting rid of Cam were the exact things that ended up costing us games.

And then they don't even show interest in a guy who by all accounts is a quick processor, super smart, and in terms of size and athleticism is off the charts?  

Yeah, I have my doubts about their ability to properly evaluate the position.

You can see that Rhule is a good coach in many important ways in both his day to day approach and his knowledge of the game. He gets his players to buy in and he seems to have an eye for talent in important areas. But qb is a different ball game. Some pretty good head coaches have been shown the door because they failed to identify the right one in a timely manner. He really needs Darnold to be a slam dunk.

• Poo 1

Just now, MHS831 said:

That is because it is not a position--it is a network.  The OL, WRs, TEs, RBs, Defense, Offensive Coordinators, head coach--they all have a lot to do with the success of the QB...And Darnold was in NY where he had the worst of all of these...Let's give him a chance.

Oh, we're going to give him a chance. He has better weapons here. He has a better OC here. His OL is likely still going to be trash.

I just don't know if this is a recipe for success. If the OL can't hold up, he's going to start seeing ghosts again. He's broken right now and we're trying to fix him. Putting him behind a patchwork OL is going to be interesting.

• Beer 1

7 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

So what this tells me is that even if Sam plays out of his mind, you still won't believe in him.

Are you going to be one of those fans who credits the other players and not the QB?

I mean... considering who was the QB before, I guess I shouldn't blame you but still...

Why watch at all then?  

Nope, that's not what I'm saying at all.  I want him to play out of his mind.  But from everything we've seen, heard, and know from his previous playing experience, I just don't believe it's possible.  I will believe if he can make me believe in him as a player.

Think of Jake...  when we signed him, did anyone think he would become the QB and leader he became?  No.  He proved those things over time...  difference is, he didn't have all of the bad tape on him that Darnold has coming in, which is where the doubt of him originates from.  So, yes, he COULD play like an all-pro for us and change people's minds, but it will be quite the road he has ahead of him if he does so.

• Pie 1