• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is it time for Sly to Fly?

Kick

3 minutes ago, ChuckWag78 said:

Yes. Tepper may have tons of miney, but the salary cap is still a thing. The dollars saved releasing Gano went to other free agents.

People seem to forget Gano was also injured a bunch the last couple of seasons

And could still make 52/55 kicks when Slye will miss a third of his kicks. This isn’t rocket science. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, ChuckWag78 said:

Yes. Tepper may have tons of miney, but the salary cap is still a thing.

The dollars saved releasing Gano went to other free agents.

It's rare that the kicker isn't the highest scoring player on the team -- I value points.

Gano didn't make enough for the incremental $$$ savings to make a bit of difference with "free agents"...

16 hours ago, top dawg said:

Slye doesn't instill confidence in the slightest. No way the team should go into the season like that. Based on last year's stats, alone, he should've been jettisoned.

80.6% at FGs, ranked 23rd 

91.7% at XPs, ranked 20th

We can do better than Slye.

That’s kind of skewed since he also has been asked to kick ridiculous distances and probably has the highest average distance in the NFL.

Slye has one of the strongest legs I have ever seen in my life. All that said it’s bittersweet because his accuracy and crunch time kicks are no bueno. 

If he could put it all together my god he’d be amazing, and I think that’s why he’s still around, it’s a hope. But reality is, he doesn’t appear to be able to and yea, we should start looking around.

Edited by onmyown

1 hour ago, Harbingers said:

And could still make 52/55 kicks when Slye will miss a third of his kicks. This isn’t rocket science. 

For a couple whole seasons Gano was out of the questions past the 45, often beyond the 40…while being a top 3 highest paid kicker. Lol 

Slye may not be the answer but yea, no thank you to Gano.

8 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Pull up the stats. 

What stat tells us how many 45-50 yard FG the Panthers passed up on with Gano?

From watching the games I can tell you it was more than enough to not be able to justify have one of the highest paid kickers in the nfl.

• Beer 1

Just now, onmyown said:

What stat tells us how many 45-50 yard FG the Panthers passed up on with Gano?

From watching the games I can tell you it was more than enough to not be able to justify have one of the highest paid kickers in the nfl.

Pull up the stats dude. Gano was a sure footer from 45-50 and even 50+. Except for about three crucial kicks. 

We passed on gano purely on price tag. It is evident because we are sitting on a kicker who misses 1 out of every three fugging kicks(don’t believe me? Go rewatch all his kicks last year. It’s literally every third kick). No team does that. Not in the nfl. 

7 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Pull up the stats dude. Gano was a sure footer from 45-50 and even 50+. Except for about three crucial kicks. 

We passed on gano purely on price tag. It is evident because we are sitting on a kicker who misses 1 out of every three fugging kicks(don’t believe me? Go rewatch all his kicks last year. It’s literally every third kick). No team does that. Not in the nfl. 

45-50 I can agree with. I should’ve edited my post to 50+ yarders.

Field goal attempted 50+ yards for full 16 games:

2017 Gano: 1

2019 Slye: 11

That is a huge difference. That will affect %.

Still not a stat that will pull up how many 50 years attempts we bailed on with Gano. Seeing as he has one for a full season, I’d wager quite a bit.

# out of # of kicks completely dismisses distance, which I won’t do. I find it relevant. 

It’s really mute to go back and for with stats. Gano had the accuracy but you can count him out 50 yards out.

Slye has the distance to win games but you’re taking a risk on accuracy.

Pick your poison, but Slye is paid pennies, and as I said I’d never pay a kicker the most in the NFL and not be able to attempt 50 yard kicks with him.

Edited by onmyown

17 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

He missed one extra point.  And a 60 plus yard fg.  He isn't getting cut over that.

Don't get me wrong, I wish we had someone better, but Slye is safe for now.

No, but one of his FGs was pushed so far right, I thought he missed it. It went over the top of the upright.  Another shorter FG was good from 40 or so, but would have been NG from 45---if I remember correctly

12 minutes ago, onmyown said:

45-50 I can agree with. I should’ve edited my post to 50+ yarders.

Field goal attempted 50+ yards for full 16 games:

2017 Gano: 1

2019 Slye: 11

That is a huge difference. That will affect %.

Still not a stat that will pull up how many 50 years attempts we bailed on with Gano. Seeing as he has one for a full season, I’d wager quite a bit.

# out of # of kicks completely dismisses distance, which I won’t do. I find it relevant. 

It’s really mute to go back and for with stats. Gano had the accuracy but you can count him out 50 yards out.

Slye has the distance to win games but you’re taking a risk on accuracy.

Pick your poison, but Slye is paid pennies, and as I said I’d never pay a kicker the most in the NFL and not be able to attempt 50 yard kicks with him.

Out of those 11 attempts, how many did he miss?