• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

we may be close to signing Robby

Captain Morgan

1 minute ago, bigskypanthersguy said:

Eh, frankly, Jackson has never lived up to his draft capital.

Often injured, struggles with tackling, gives up a big play too often.

Very hit and miss.

Also believe he is top 10(or close)in Panthers history in INT's after his rookie contract. 

Agree he is all over the map but one thing he definitely is, the best playmaker we have had in our secondary in a long time. 

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Also believe he is top 10(or close)in Panthers history in INT's after his rookie contract. 

Agree he is all over the map but one thing he definitely is, the best playmaker we have had in our secondary in a long time. 

That may be, but I'd prefer to evaluate him with everything on the table in terms of his overall performance.  Ints may look good in, say, Madden or stats, but the overall picture of what he offers to the franchise isn't worth an expensive contract.

It does depend on what he wants and what he's offered.

If he's willing to take a reasonable deal, I'd be more interested.

2 minutes ago, bigskypanthersguy said:

That may be, but I'd prefer to evaluate him with everything on the table in terms of his overall performance.  Ints may look good in, say, Madden or stats, but the overall picture of what he offers to the franchise isn't worth an expensive contract.

It does depend on what he wants and what he's offered.

If he's willing to take a reasonable deal, I'd be more interested.

I don't think we would be looking at him on a pricey contract unless he has a big year, in which he also stays completely healthy.

Not sure we would have a ton of competition for him if it comes down to wanting a really big deal.

My guy feeling is that not many in the NFL are gonna be giving him a #1 CB contract.

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't think we would be looking at him on a pricey contract unless he has a big year, in which he also stays completely healthy.

Not sure we would have a ton of competition for him if it comes down to wanting a really big deal.

My guy feeling is that not many in the NFL are gonna be giving him a #1 CB contract.

I view him in the same light I do Darnold.

He can make plays at times, but I really need consistency at this point.

FWIW, I hope it finally happens this year.

12 minutes ago, bigskypanthersguy said:

I view him in the same light I do Darnold.

He can make plays at times, but I really need consistency at this point.

FWIW, I hope it finally happens this year.

I view them in completely different lights. Jackson has had much more success in his NFL career than Darnold.

Darnold has had next to none and shown very little evidence of even being capable of improving.

I'd like to eat a lot of crow on that statement but I fear I will not.

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

I view them in completely different lights. Jackson has had much more success in his NFL career than Darnold.

Darnold has had next to none and shown very little evidence of even being capable of improving.

I'd like to eat a lot of crow on that statement but I fear I will not.

That's where I don't like this whole gamble.

For all intents and purposes, Darnold has to become a different player for him to be what Rhule and we need.

I don't think it's going to happen either.

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, stbugs said:

I don’t like extending Robby right now. What does that do for us? If it causes us to not extend DJ, it’s a terrible move. I know we’ve got cap space but we’ll have a ton of D talent coming up every year for a while and it sure seems like WR isn’t a huge need. Locking in Robbie means one or more of the following:

1. Shi Smith will never see the field his entire rookie contract.

2. DJ is traded or let go after this year or  2022.

3. Marshall stays at WR3 and doesn’t get a chance to shine.

4. Marshall shines and we are paying $15M a year to our WR3.

I feel pretty comfortable getting a comp pick for Robby, having DJ, Marshall, Smith and Moore2 in 2022 and continuing to add WR talent through the draft.

If people were cringing about paying Moton $18M a year when he is literally our only solid OL (sorry but Brown/Christensen aren’t playing 1st stringers yet) then paying Robby around $15M when he could be WR3 next year, should be frightening.

This is spot on, and was exactly what I was gonna write.  I think it’s a mistake if we give big money to Anderson.  The outcome I think is most likely if signed to a deal is #4.  Plus I would rather have Moore, Marshall and Shi as the top 3, and pay for another position.  If Anderson is re-upped, it’s fits first mistake IMO. 

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Whoops said:

This is spot on, and was exactly what I was gonna write.  I think it’s a mistake if we give big money to Anderson.  The outcome I think is most likely if signed to a deal is #4.  Plus I would rather have Moore, Marshall and Shi as the top 3, and pay for another position.  If Anderson is re-upped, it’s fits first mistake IMO. 

Well, #1 we haven't seen Marshall play a single game yet so as excited as we are all getting, maybe we should slow down on the coronation process.

Also, even if he is a stud, by the time his rookie deal is up, Robby may be nearing the end of his new contract(purely speculation until we see the kind of deal Robby signs).

I can understand the concerns about the deal brewing but we need to see terms before we judge harshly or infer much about what we plan on doing with Moore.

Good. I like Robbie. He definitely spreads the field. I don’t get why some people said he may be expendable. Marshall while looks promising has not played a year in the nfl just yet. He may turn out to be great or not lol. I’ve been burned way too many times getting excited early in someone’s nfl career. IMO, it’s too early to tell 

6 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

Was hoping DJ was first, but I absolutely love this too...  as long as we keep both, I'm ecstatic.

I'm sure that the FO wants to keep Moore too. Like anything else, the Devil will be in the details and there has to be a meeting of the minds. Folks may think of these two potential contracts as joined at the hip, but they're actually not. 

Rhule and Brady want 3 very good receivers at all times.  Last year Rhule said "that's our fastball."  Brady's offense works better with those options.  

Now we just need a QB to get the ball to them.  If Darnold gets enough time from our line, he has no excuses.  It's really an incredible cast of talent for a QB.  Imagine dropping back with those 3 receivers running wild, and a good TE now, and CMC as your check down.  Whoa nelly

Edited by Captain Morgan
  • Pie 1