• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Offensive Philosophy: The Tortoise vs The Hare

Mr. Scot

2 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Teddy couldn't finish the drive.  He would go limp inside the 20.  Hopefully we may actually finish most of those this season. 

Red zone production is going to be a big thing to watch this season. If we struggle there again with a different(even though he may actually be worse) QB AND a healthy CMC.......Brady is gonna start getting questioned by everyone.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Red zone production is going to be a big thing to watch this season. If we struggle there again with a different(even though he may actually be worse) QB AND a healthy CMC.......Brady is gonna start getting questioned by everyone.

Yeah I'm not feeling the Brady magic like everyone else.  I'm just not seeing this offensive guru they speak of.  But I will admit his qb choice didn't do him any favors.  Sorta like the chicken/egg thing.

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Red zone production is going to be a big thing to watch this season. If we struggle there again with a different(even though he may actually be worse) QB AND a healthy CMC.......Brady is gonna start getting questioned by everyone

"Is gonna start getting questioned"??!!  It was already pretty loud last weekend versus Ravens! 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Yeah I'm not feeling the Brady magic like everyone else.  I'm just not seeing this offensive guru they speak of.  But I will admit his qb choice didn't do him any favors.  Sorta like the chicken/egg thing.

I like the scheme and his play designs.  i don't think he's particularly good play caller, which is a different skill set.

4 minutes ago, Ace420 said:

It suits alot of our players though. Both CMC and DJ are dangerous after the catch.

I don't want to go full WCO, but we could incorporate a few aspects of it in order to get the ball in our playmaker hands.

It's basically Payton's version of the WCO.

One of Payton's trademarks is a tendency for a lot of rub routes and  natural picks to just "accidentally" happen.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

"Is gonna start getting questioned"??!!  It was already pretty loud last weekend versus Ravens! 

It is starting but these games also don't matter at all or rarely feature full compliments of our starting personnel. It will be a lot worse if the red zone struggles extend into the regular season. What we saw after the Ravens game was the introductory version of what we will be seeing in full force if this continues into Game 4, 5, 6, etc.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I will say, watching some of Sam's INT's from the past, a good number of them were him trying to play hero ball and trying to make a big play happen when the play broke down, or the team was in a bind. That kind of stuff CAN be coached out - If the coaching staff is halfway decent. 

I don't know, I have always argued some stuff is just player DNA.  It's like when we signed Teddy.  Being a check down player was just in his DNA.  You might can coach out a throw here or there.  But his DNA was to checkdown.   No one was going to change that IMO 

You could tell Jake Delhomme to play it safe.  He might for a minute.  But eventually he was going to see 89 in double coverage and just let it fly.  

But for the record, I don't really have a problem with harnessed hero ball.  It's frankly, fun to watch. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, AU-panther said:

We are going for steady and consistent so we trade for one of the most inaccurate, turnover prone QBs in the league? 

All kidding aside, will be interesting year to see if the staff can turn him into something he hasn’t proven to be.  Hopefully they can.

We got a DBO sign now.   It fixes stuff like that. 

• Flames 2

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

I don't know, I have always argued some stuff is just player DNA.  It's like when we signed Teddy.  Being a check down player was just in his DNA.  You might can coach out a throw here or there.  But his DNA was to checkdown.   No one was going to change that IMO 

You could tell Jake Delhomme to play it safe.  He might for a minute.  But eventually he was going to see 89 in double coverage and just let it fly.  

But for the record, I don't really have a problem with harnessed hero ball.  It's frankly, fun to watch. 

That's the traditional issue with gunslingers as a whole. But, you are seeing a newer breed of much more measured gunslingers. A lot of the young gunslingers tend to take a little better care of the ball as a whole. Not everyone is as crazy as Favre, Rivers, etc. 

Mahomes leans gunslinger but has a ridiculously low INT%.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

WCO attacks are heavily dependent on run after the catch.

With guys like McCaffrey, DJ and others, we have a good amount of that ability available to us.

Is that what Brady's system is fundamentally?  A WCO? I'm not being snarky I legit do not know....

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

That's the traditional issue with gunslingers as a whole. But, you are seeing a newer breed of much more measured gunslingers. A lot of the young gunslingers tend to take a little better care of the ball as a whole. Not everyone is as crazy as Favre, Rivers, etc. 

Mahomes leans gunslinger but has a ridiculously low INT%.

I think if Mahomes didn't have such freak playmakers....his gunslinger mentality would lead to a much higher INT%. 

Watch Trevor Lawerence's numbers with the Jags this year.  He will have a lot of picks.  It's in his DNA to put the ball up for someone to make a play.   In college he could read a D and thread a needle.  But from day 1 he would always say fug it and just put one up there.  The key is actually pairing them with talent that can make a play out of something when the do what they just can't help but do. 

11 minutes ago, CRA said:

I think if Mahomes didn't have such freak playmakers....his gunslinger mentality would lead to a much higher INT%. 

Watch Trevor Lawerence's numbers with the Jags this year.  He will have a lot of picks.  It's in his DNA to put the ball up for someone to make a play.   In college he could read a D and thread a needle.  But from day 1 he would always say fug it and just put one up there.  The key is actually pairing them with talent that can make a play out of something when the do what they just can't help but do. 

Possibly so. Peyton had a SHITLOAD of INT's in his first year in the league.

I am amazed at how Mahomes is able to do all that crazy poo and get away with it. That will be something interesting to watch over the course of his career. If the talent drops around him, will he start throwing more picks?