• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Offensive Philosophy: The Tortoise vs The Hare

Mr. Scot

The dinking and dunking is fine to an extent but the D has to have fear of the deep ball or this will turn into Teddy 2.0.

Too much of that without taking shots or even being unable to take those shots like Cam was late in his time here because of the injury and the dink and dunk will be smothered. 

• Pie 4

I thought Teddy’s dinking and dunking were just fine. Would have been even better with CMC. I like getting the ball out of the QB’s hands and into the hands of DJ, Robby, or CMC. 
The problem for me was the interceptions and the impotent red-zone offense. If you are throwing short, quick, safe passes, you better not be throwing interceptions ESPECIALLY in the god damn end-zone. Interceptions are something you live with when you are chucking it down field and taking risks; not throwing 6 yard passes over and over.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

4 minutes ago, imminent rogaine said:

I thought Teddy’s dinking and dunking were just fine. Would have been even better with CMC. I like getting the ball out of the QB’s hands and into the hands of DJ, Robby, or CMC. 
The problem for me was the interceptions and the impotent red-zone offense. If you are throwing short, quick, safe passes, you better not be throwing interceptions ESPECIALLY in the god damn end-zone. Interceptions are something you live with when you are chucking it down field and taking risks; not throwing 6 yard passes over and over.

The dinking and dunking aren't fine if there are better options available downfield. 

• Pie 4

32 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

It's a fine line. For instance, Teddy always took the safest and quickest option instead of gambling. He was cautious to a fault and hampered the offense as a result. Darnold, by his nature, is a gunslinger. Hence why we saw so many awful and ill advised INT's in his career. He leans towards trying to make the big play like most gunslingers do. 

We just need to get him somewhere in the middle of that scale. "Taking what the defense gives you" while also having the nuts to make throws to score and try to make plays when they are needed. 

I will say, watching some of Sam's INT's from the past, a good number of them were him trying to play hero ball and trying to make a big play happen when the play broke down, or the team was in a bind. That kind of stuff CAN be coached out - If the coaching staff is halfway decent. 

Honestly, the fact he threw one of his two passes out of the endzone on Sunday shows that he might actually be making progress because in years past, I'm not sure if he would have done the same thing instead of forcing a ball into the EZ to make a big play. 

I remain cautiously optimistic. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

46 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

The dinking and dunking is fine to an extent but the D has to have fear of the deep ball or this will turn into Teddy 2.0.

Too much of that without taking shots or even being unable to take those shots like Cam was late in his time here because of the injury and the dink and dunk will be smothered. 

I think that is what the staff realized over the course of the season, remember that 4th and 9 play, and Teddy through the shallow 2 yard crosser...

I think that was the point where they knew internally he was reluctant to throw it down field regularly when available. 

IMO TB plays to protect his stats aka maintaining 60+ % completion, he knew he wasn't guaranteed anything outside of an absurd amount of money, but as we all saw getting out of that contract wasn't too difficult. 

I think he played for the next stop, keep the % up, and the turnovers low and you'll always have a job, he got his 20+M and moved on. 

46 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

We just need to get him somewhere in the middle of that scale. "Taking what the defense gives you" while also having the nuts to make throws to score and try to make plays when they are needed. 

That's the idea.

A true WCO does include the deep ball. They just don't live and die by it like some of the Coryell offenses do.

When you don't have that aspect, the criticism is that the WCO becomes a "horizontal offense".

(like what we saw last year)

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

31 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

The real test will be the red zone offense, where the field is condensed so harder to dink and dunk.

WCO attacks are heavily dependent on run after the catch.

With guys like McCaffrey, DJ and others, we have a good amount of that ability available to us.

• Pie 3