• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

1st & 2nd Rd Draft Picks (2017-Present) - Pretty Cool

davos

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I am not trying to be snarky but how do we chock up 2021 picks to being successes when they have never played a down in the NFL?

I kind of feel similar about the 2020 draft picks. It's hard to judge any player that early in their career, good or bad.

They are starters and it hasnt even been close. I think thats a good rule of thumb.

Just now, kungfoodude said:

I am not trying to be snarky but how do we chock up 2021 picks to being successes when they have never played a down in the NFL?

I kind of feel similar about the 2020 draft picks. It's hard to judge any player that early in their career, good or bad.

I'm not saying they're smash hits but if they pan out, that is a hell of a good track record.  That many consistent high-end successful picks bodes well for a quick build situation.  Which we may be looking at if Darnold doesn't pan out.  I just don't think we're that far off and a lot of fanbases would kill for what we've been able to haul.

I am willing to be a bit early to judge Marshall, bc I just think he's a stud, easy transitioning potential star.  He could be huge in the league.    

1 minute ago, davos said:

I'm not saying they're smash hits but if they pan out, that is a hell of a good track record.  That many consistent high-end successful picks bodes well for a quick build situation.  Which we may be looking at if Darnold doesn't pan out.  I just don't think we're that far off and a lot of fanbases would kill for what we've been able to haul.

I am willing to be a bit early to judge Marshall, bc I just think he's a stud, easy transitioning potential star.  He could be huge in the league.    

Yeah. We have had a lot of picks in the upper portion of the rounds, which helps a lot. Our biggest issue is whiffing in rounds 3-7. That has been what kills us traditionally. 

Gettleman shat the bed with the 2016 draft, but he might have made up for it with the 2017 draft. His only pick from then that didn't pan out was Daeshon Hall.

Obligatory imagine if Hurney didn't move on from Butker reminder.

Edited by Icege

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah. We have had a lot of picks in the upper portion of the rounds, which helps a lot. Our biggest issue is whiffing in rounds 3-7. That has been what kills us traditionally. 

Yup, that's in part why I added the part about landing this in spite of DG and Hurney.  And if Fit turns out to have found guys in Tremble, Christensen, Hubbard, & min. 1 of these later rounders, it's going to help turn the corner in a huge way.

4 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

They are starters and it hasnt even been close. I think thats a good rule of thumb.

Well.....we aren't exactly brimming with talent, so that may not be saying a lot.

We have had our fair share of draft picks that started a lot of games in their rookie seasons and didn't exactly stick around the team or NFL long. 

Not trying to poo on these guys in any way, just saying we might want to slow our roll on crowning them as successful without ever having played a down of NFL football.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, davos said:

Yup, that's in part why I added the part about landing this in spite of DG and Hurney.  And if Fit turns out to have found guys in Tremble, Christensen, Hubbard, & min. 1 of these later rounders, it's going to help turn the corner in a huge way.

Agreed. Landing multiple guys each draft that can contribute in some way during their rookie contracts can be a big aid to long term success. That cheap depth and talent is critical.

Edited by kungfoodude