• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Looking back at the draft

Mr. Scot

2 hours ago, Ocpanthertew714 said:

I can't say that I agree with you.  I have a hard time believing that Chicago would have been set back if they selected Mahomes. 

Well, there's not just the line to think about on that front.

In Kansas City, he's being coached by Andy Reid.

In Chicago, it'd be Matt Nagy.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Well, there's not just the line to think about on that front.

In Kansas City, he's being coached by Andy Reid.

In Chicago, it'd be Matt Nagy.

Point.

Buuut, what if Justin Fields pans out for Chicago.  Then that whole narrative of Matt Nagy has completely shifted.

I believe Mahomes would have been an elite QB no matter who drafted him.  Maybe not Super bowl champion Mahomes, but still an elite QB.

28 minutes ago, Ace420 said:

I also think that Jones will be a decent qb as well. We passed on both. Of course Jones has a good oline though, so he probably wouldn't have looked good here.

I'll just say that if Belichick wins another ring with Jones his GOATness will not be surpassed during my lifetime. His ceiling is Jared Goff/Kirk Cousins.

9 minutes ago, Ocpanthertew714 said:

Point.

Buuut, what if Justin Fields pans out for Chicago.  Then that whole narrative of Matt Nagy has completely shifted.

I believe Mahomes would have been an elite QB no matter who drafted him.  Maybe not Super bowl champion Mahomes, but still an elite QB.

He's very talented, but that's the thing. They all are.

Even David Carr was talented, but terrible coaching absolutely destroyed him.

That, plus Reid really is what Jon Gruden thinks he is. He could probably turn me into a decent quarterback.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2

38 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

That doesn't change anything in reality. In the next 5 years the Panthers could draft a future HOF qb even if Sam is still on the team and playing great.  

If he sucks he's gone next year and no one bats an eye because the opportunity cost was minimal. 

But yes, those that pined for a certain player will always hold that decision over the teams head.  But it will be misguided and ridiculous. 

I think if Sam Darnold remains Sam Darnold….decent odds we get stuck with him for a bit.  

worst case IMO is Sam just remains Sam.   Good and bad.  We get to about 8 wins.  We have no options and they rework his deal

36 minutes ago, Ocpanthertew714 said:

I understand what you're saying.  My suggestion is when it's all said and done and when we look back on this draft in 5 years.  I believe it will be judged with the selection at 8.  Keep in mind that I know it's too early to judge this draft.  That's why I emphasized when we look at this draft 5 years from now. 

This seems to be the NBA fan thing. I've seen tons of NBA fans, especially Hornet fans, complain about past drafts and why their team didn't draft player X when he was available instead of whoever was actually drafted. If is one of the smallest words, yet it is also the biggest question. Don't worry about who was passed over in favor of whoever was taken.

Marty always drafted well in the first round, yet nobody graded his drafts on just that one pick. If Fitts missed on Horn, yet hit on everyone else when people look back at this draft, he had a successful one. If he pulled a Marty and nailed Horn, yet flubbed on everyone else, he had a bad draft.

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

I think if Sam Darnold remains Sam Darnold….decent odds we get stuck with him for a bit.  

worst case IMO is Sam just remains Sam.   Good and bad.  We get to about 8 wins.  We have no options and they work rework his deal

If Sam is not the guy, no matter where they finish in the season standings, nothing will deter them from doing whatever it takes to upgrade.  That I am certain of.

3 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

If Sam is not the guy, no matter where they finish in the season standings, nothing will deter them from doing whatever it takes to upgrade.  That I am certain of.

I’m not certain.  Check the OL situation.  Heck, check the fact they brought in  Darnold and only Darnold.   

20 minutes ago, CRA said:

I’m not certain.  Check the OL situation.  Heck, check the fact they brought in  Darnold and only Darnold.   

Going by how they did Teddy, I think they would cut bait with Darnold quickly.

I don't mind that they only brought in Darnold. The coaches must have thought he was young enough to rehab and didn't want him to have to look over his shoulder at the new draftee. Rhule probably didn't want the media headache of having Darnold and a new rookie on the roster at the same time if Darnold sucks with the media asking when the rookie will start either.

25 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Going by how they did Teddy, I think they would cut bait with Darnold quickly.

I don't mind that they only brought in Darnold. The coaches must have thought he was young enough to rehab and didn't want him to have to look over his shoulder at the new draftee. Rhule probably didn't want the media headache of having Darnold and a new rookie on the roster at the same time if Darnold sucks with the media asking when the rookie will start either.

I think it is a fairly noteworthy point that Teddy started throwing a green staff under the bus publicly….and they essentially returned the favor.  So keeping became not an option. 

Darnold will say the right things.  

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

I think it is a fairly noteworthy point that Teddy started throwing a green staff under the bus publicly….and they essentially returned the favor.  So keeping became not an option. 

Got nothing to do with PR...

Everything to do with the guy being a sh-tty team player.

24 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Got nothing to do with PR...

Everything to do with the guy being a sh-tty team player.

I mean I said he was throwing his coaches under the bus publicly.  Call it what you want.  

But a high end backup isn’t going to stay over employed long doing that.     Sam will be easier to hang onto if he is no more productive than Teddy. 

NFL is straight up business.  NFL has no problem with shitty teammates overall.   Bad PR is bad PR.   And coaches probably get all sorts of poo way worse than what Teddy said to their face….but behind closed doors.  And the coaches after that started doing the same thing back at Teddy….in the public. 

the point being, I am not convinced Rhule will move on quick from Sam if he is simply the same dude he was in NY.   Which while bad wasn’t some Jimmy Clausen type poo.   Jets always had a punchers chance with Darnold. 

• Pie 1