• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Athletic looks at Darnold and Wentz

Mr. Scot

5 minutes ago, NAS said:

Rhule thinks he can fix Darnold, this will define his career one way or the other . 

At least he had the balls to take some risks.  The safer play would have been to draft Fields and not have to deal with as much pressure this year as people are more understanding and patient with rookie QBs.

Just remembering when some folks were saying that Darnold was only insurance in case we couldn't draft a top guy.

That take looks pretty stupid now.

(not that it didn't back then)

Good article.

I'm going to go on record and say that the acquisition of Darnold is the final part of the triumvirate with regards to rejuvenating this tired, listless franchise.

The first step was a new owner who's had a vision and was willing to back that with significant financial resources. The second step was hiring a fantastic HC who has a tried-and-tested process and evidently is a fantastic evaluator of talent. Acquiring a very, very talented starting QB for the next 10 years for peanuts was the final step.

I don't want to be wrong. 

• Pie 9

14 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Good article.

I'm going to go on record and say that the acquisition of Darnold is the final part of the triumvirate with regards to rejuvenating this tired, listless franchise.

The first step was a new owner who's had a vision and was willing to back that with significant financial resources. The second step was hiring a fantastic HC who has a tried-and-tested process and evidently is a fantastic evaluator of talent. Acquiring a very, very talented starting QB for the next 10 years for peanuts was the final step.

I don't want to be wrong. 

My jury's still out on all of those things honestly.

Is Sam Darnold going to be a great quarterback? I don't know.

Is Matt Rhule an NFL head coach? I don't know.

Is David Tepper a good owner? I don't know.

I'm hoping this season gives me some clarity on all of those things, and I hope the answers are positive.

We'll see.

• Pie 7
  • Beer 2

12 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm hoping this season gives me some clarity on all of those things, and I hope the answers are positive.

We'll see.

This

53 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Here: Can Carson Wentz and Sam Darnold be fixed?

Rhule says that after Darnold arrived in the building, the focus was less on tweaking his mechanics and more on rewiring his mindset for the position. In his time with the Jets, Darnold developed a nasty habit of trying to make the heroic play when the situation around him started to deteriorate. Carolina’s bet on Darnold is a bet on how the Panthers’ collection of receiving talent and Joe Brady’s offense can lessen the load on the quarterback’s shoulders.

@OldhamA

Keep trying to tell you this. It's between his ears. He doesn't have any major mechanics issues.

• Pie 4
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

@OldhamA

Keep trying to tell you this. It's between his ears. He doesn't have any major mechanics issues.

That's why the QB Coach is on record as trying to fix his footwork...

I'm not saying that they didn't need to change his mindset too - but that's why you have the different tiers of coaches. HC and OC will mostly be interested in his decision making. QB Coach (and any position coach) will mostly be interested in his mechanics.

Both needed adjustment, and it looks like both are being adjusted. The raw material is there in abundance. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

23 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

We'll see.

We will see. 

This is the first time I've felt good about this franchise for a decade. 

• Pie 3

I would rather have traded what we did for Darnold than what they did for Wentz. Wentz looks shot. Darnold looks mentally frazzled. You can't fix shot. Maybe we can and maybe we can't fix frazzled but I'd rather have Darnold at his age, trade compensation, and financial commitment than Wentz at his age, trade compensation, and financial commitment. No doubt about it. If they're both mistakes, our mistake stings a lot less.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 3