• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ikem Ekwonu, NC State

Martin

9 minutes ago, Basbear said:

dominating/pancaking ACC and best fit is OG are my main points. 

Yeah but Cooper was genuinely the size of a relatively small center. Those guys do have issues translating unless you are a master technician(Ryan Kalil) or a physical freak of nature(Aaron Donald).

I believe Ekwonu is still best suited for OG but Cooper is a bad example only because he was literally way too small to play OT.

From what I have read and researched about the top 3 guys this is what I am gathering.

Neal is the most physically imposing just a beast of a tackle that uses his size very well.  Athletic for his size.  Not sure why folks would want him to move to RT

Cross: A bit, just a bit of a project due to his youth and frame but once 10-20 more pounds are added to his already 305 lb body the sky is the limit.  He has the most upside of any of the three due to his freaking athleticism and overall nastiness. 

Ikem: Does everything well right now like Neal is a plug and play forget out him for a decade player.  Excels in run blocking and is tough as nails and not afraid to mix it up.  Craves contact.

I would be through the moon for one of the 3.  I think we will have our choice of 2 of the 3 maybe all 3 depending if the any of the qbs rise

Edited by mrcompletely11
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1

6 hours ago, MechaZain said:

It's Neal > Cross > Ekwonu for me but the pick has to be one of them.  I like them all but Cross's potential is the most exciting.

I have it Neal, Ekwonu and Cross.

Neal's upside is just insane and Ekwonu's floor seems very high(top flight LG if nothing else). Cross worries me a little because he seems to have a high bust factor. I do think it is possible he tumbles in the draft if he doesn't do well at the combine.

• Beer 2

11 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

From what I have read and researched about the top 3 guys this is what I am gathering.

Neal is the most physically imposing just a beast of a tackle that uses his size very well.  Athletic for his size.  Not sure why folks would want him to move to RT

Cross: A bit, just a bit of a project due to his youth and frame but once 10-20 more pounds are added to his already 305 lb body the sky is the limit.  He has the most upside of any of the three due to his freaking athleticism and overall nastiness. 

Ikem: Does everything well right now like Neal is a plug and play forget out him for a decade player.  Excels in run blocking and is tough as nails and not afraid to mix it up.  Craves contact.

I would be through the moon for one of the 3.  I think we will have our choice of 2 of the 3 maybe all 3 depending if the any of the qbs rise

I just watched the 'Bama vs. Ole Miss game...Bama offense.  I focused in on Neal, obviously.  One thing that stood out is dude has no 'nasty'.  He fires off the ball in the run game, but really doesn't look to punish someone.  He simply engages his block and waits for the whistle.  If he fires off the ball and there's nobody to block, he's kinda adrift for the play.  He does have great lateral movement for a dude his size in pass pro.  That said, he's not twitchy and may have problems with stunts and edge rushers with an arsenal of pass rush moves.  Ole Miss almost exclusively sent the pass rush outside and Neal just rode them around Young.

This is why I'm in camp Ekwonu.  Dude has the experience Cross is lacking and is more 'sudden' than Neal that also has a nasty demeanor.

This one is even better.  He wants to embarrass these dude's entire family how hard he punks some of them!  Icky is usually good for a post-whistle shove or two just to drive the point home he made you his b!tch on the last play, lol!

Edited by 45catfan

9 hours ago, 45catfan said:

This one is even better.  He wants to embarrass these dude's entire family how hard he punks some of them!  Icky is usually good for a post-whistle shove or two just to drive the point home he made you his b!tch on the last play, lol!

The play at :44 gets me hard.  Pancakes 2 dudes. 

• Pie 1

10 hours ago, 45catfan said:

I just watched the 'Bama vs. Ole Miss game...Bama offense.  I focused in on Neal, obviously.  One thing that stood out is dude has no 'nasty'.  He fires off the ball in the run game, but really doesn't look to punish someone.  He simply engages his block and waits for the whistle.  If he fires off the ball and there's nobody to block, he's kinda adrift for the play.  He does have great lateral movement for a dude his size in pass pro.  That said, he's not twitchy and may have problems with stunts and edge rushers with an arsenal of pass rush moves.  Ole Miss almost exclusively sent the pass rush outside and Neal just rode them around Young.

This is why I'm in camp Ekwonu.  Dude has the experience Cross is lacking and is more 'sudden' than Neal that also has a nasty demeanor.

Ekwonu also needs some technique some technique work. He can be aggressive to a fault in pass blocking(lunges at defender).

I agree, though, the thing I love about him is that NASTY disposition. Reminds me of a more athletic Norwell.

Why Ekwonu makes sense for the Giants

Versatility for a lineman is always good to have when entering the NFL Draft. Ekwonu might be the epitome of that.

Long arms. Brute strength. Dexterity and nimble feet. He has it all to play anywhere on the line, and the Giants sure could use that type of player.

What I picture immediately when viewing Ekwonu in blue and white is a left guard who is stationed right beside Andrew Thomas and holds down that side of the line for years to come. Yes, there’s a chance he could play right tackle, but there’s also a high chance the Giants go with two offensive linemen with both first-round selections. A tackle could be taken before Ekwonu is grabbed off the big board.

He’s a proven commodity, being the “most feared lineman in the ACC,” but scouts have also pointed out room for growth, which isn’t a bad thing in the slightest. Ekwonu’s athleticism is on full display each snap and he has drive to get his blocking assignment to the ground, let alone sealed away from the football.

Insert “Panthers” for “Giants” and I think if he’s there that’s why he ends up in Charlotte. If Brady works out as the LT then Icky is a pro bowl guard. If Brady is more of a guard then Icky is a pro bowl tackle and probably makes Brady even better. Draft him and let these two run the left side for the next decade. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Ekwonu also needs some technique some technique work. He can be aggressive to a fault in pass blocking(lunges at defender).

I agree, though, the thing I love about him is that NASTY disposition. Reminds me of a more athletic Norwell.

I agree he can be too physical at times and get over-extended, but remember, he's still learning after playing guard most of his career.  I'd rather see this from a guy still learning than a dude that's been playing the position every since he's stepped on a football field.  He's smart, athletic, has a dog mentality and apparently loves the game.  He has to refine technique, that will come with time and reps.

• Beer 1

The only thing that concerns me a little bit with Ekwonu is that State has always been a team that gets the ball out quick. Developing drops and extensive time in the pocket hasn’t ever been a HUGE part of the game. There is some…but through the 3/4 point of the season last year Leary had thrown 175 passes less than 10 yards and only 90 passes past the 10 yard line. It’s just not an offense that required much longer development. 

21 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Ekwonu can play LT or he could move inside to G.  Better than Travelle Wharton, but with the same position flexibility--and it is important if BC can play LT.  Imagine Ekwonu and Moton on the right side---I think we could get a yard on 4th and 1.

This pick would give BC a safety net if he does not work out at LT.  Furthermore, we'd upgrade 2 positions if BC can play LT, but we would not have neglected LT yet again if we have to move BC to LG. 

I hope this is making sense.  We know we have Moton at RT and we know that BC is penciled in as a starter somewhere.  Ekwonu gives us a margin of error if BC fails.  If you draft Cross, BC goes inside that's that.  If you draft Neal, again, you have to move BC inside, and he was not that great (when I watched) as a G.

Linderbaum is an option as well if they think BC can play LT---but there is no margin for error. 

This was rambling but I just see more scenarios / options if we draft Ekwonu and dedicate to the run game like so many successful teams are doing lately (Tennessee, SF, Indy, etc)

21 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Watch how many times Icky's man ends up on the ground!  The Clemson play where he rides the dude form the left side of the formation ALL the way over to the right hash before planting him in the dirt is a thing of beauty!

He's an all pro waiting to happen.  It is possible that he is the first OL taken and he never reaches us at 6.

Edited by MHS831