• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Rhule being as honest as it will get

CRA

41 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Oof. If we go on in on Howell, it will all just end in tears again, IMO. Howell has some talent but he is a big project with a lot of flaws that need to be coached out. Not anything near a day one starter, IMO. 

I don't like much of this 2022 QB draft class, which makes the future at QB seem so much more bleak for us. IMO, it will be journeyman QB in 2022. Just because that will be all that is reasonably available and overdrafting a QB is a path to the ultimate failure. 

The real fun is going to be how involved Tepper becomes in forcing a QB on the team.

Watch us force a QB this draft.

2020 was a OT class.  2021 was a QB class.  Seems like we are always swimming upstream.

We need some luck and actually it might be a good thing this QB isn't viewed as strong.  With our defense we might be picking middle of the first round, if the QB class was viewed stronger they might be all gone by the time we pick.

Maybe its one of those years that doesn't look good on paper but surprises everyone 2-3 years down the road.

I'm trying to be positive here.

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't think Tepper cares at all about the home state thing. That was a JR trait. Not to mention, Howell isn't going to bring many new fans to the fanbase, if any at all. 

I agree on Fields, though. If he somehow turns it on over the last half of the season, Tepper is going to get "aggressively involved" in the 2022 QB decision, IMO. For better or worse.

Normally I would agree with you about the home state thing, but I do think the UNC crowd will come to BOA for Howell. I think Tepper will care about that, especially if this season continues to suck and the fans stop coming.

1 minute ago, AU-panther said:

Watch us force a QB this draft.

2020 was a OT class.  2021 was a QB class.  Seems like we are always swimming upstream.

We need some luck and actually it might be a good thing this QB isn't viewed as strong.  With our defense we might be picking middle of the first round, if the QB class was viewed stronger they might be all gone by the time we pick.

Maybe its one of those years that doesn't look good on paper but surprises everyone 2-3 years down the road.

I'm trying to be positive here.

Yeah, I am really concerned about that outcome as well. We don't have the luxury of being able to miss on our 1st round pick, because almost all of our picks are Day 3 picks. If we don't see "The Guy" at QB in this class, get the best OL available. Fix a problem that you can, not create a new problem by wasting draft capital on a reach at QB. fug me, we've basically done that in free agency two years in a row, let's not have Version 3.0 of that. 

1 minute ago, jayboogieman said:

Normally I would agree with you about the home state thing, but I do think the UNC crowd will come to BOA for Howell. I think Tepper will care about that, especially if this season continues to suck and the fans stop coming.

Yeah, I completely disagree and I don't think Tepper cares about that at all. He cares about winning because he knows that is what puts asses in seats, not gimmick home players.

Edited by kungfoodude

Just now, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, I completely disagree and I don't think Tepper cares about that at all. He cares about winning.

We'll just have to disagree then. Nothing Tepper has done so far shows me that he cares about winning. From keeping Ron and Hurney too long to "fixing" the business side first to hiring a second tier college coach, it all screams bottom line more than winning.

• Beer 1

19 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, I am really concerned about that outcome as well. We don't have the luxury of being able to miss on our 1st round pick, because almost all of our picks are Day 3 picks. If we don't see "The Guy" at QB in this class, get the best OL available. Fix a problem that you can, not create a new problem by wasting draft capital on a reach at QB. fug me, we've basically done that in free agency two years in a row, let's not have Version 3.0 of that. 

I agree.  Nobody wants to hear it but Sam's contract is guaranteed, you go with him another year and draft someone in 2023.

but

do we have the patience?

Edited by AU-panther
spelling
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, I am trending that way too. He just seems so lost on the field for most of the game and then there will be a handful of plays that make you scratch your head and say, "Why the fug can't he just do that all the time?" That really screams NFL backup and not starting QB. Honestly, it probably would help him to be holding a clipboard for a few years. He might eventually become a halfway decent backup QB if he has the time to learn and develop without any of the actual pressure to play regularly.

I think he could become an OK backup for a decent team. But he's far too inconsistent to be a starter.

21 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

We'll just have to disagree then. Nothing Tepper has done so far shows me that he cares about winning. From keeping Ron and Hurney too long to "fixing" the business side first to hiring a second tier college coach, it all screams bottom line more than winning.

I think he cares about winning, he just doesn't know how to accomplish it is the issue. 

13 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

I agree.  Nobody wants to hear it but Sam's contract is guaranteed, you go with him another year and draft someone in 2023.

but

do we have the patience?

I think the staff knows they can't bring him back as a starter. That is essentially signing their own pink slips.

14 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

I think he could become an OK backup for a decent team. But he's far too inconsistent to be a starter.

Agreed and he might develop further if he gets a lot more reps and experience with various teams. Backup could work out for him. Or he could just simply not have it at all and be out of the league in 2-3 years.

• Pie 1