• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dane Brugler Mock Draft 1.0 (from The Athletic)

Mr. Scot

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Hard to say. As always, I am a big believer in the NFL being a self motivating league. If you have "it" then you will work to be the best and success will come at some point. 

If you never see Trubisky ascend above a journeyman backup player then he was probably what his detractors said about him at the time, a one year wonder that got overdrafted in a weak QB draft.

Most QB's drafted as of late are one or two year wonders at best.  It really is a crap shoot with these kids.  The NFL is a different level of play that requires more than physical talent to have success in this league.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

From the article, regarding Howell...

General manager Kevin Colbert has traveled to see Howell multiple times this fall, and he might be their top option available at this point in the draft.

A scout for the Steelers lives in the Charlotte area. I'm sure their scouting department is well acquainted with Sam. I hate the Steelers, but that would be a great place for him to end up. As long as Ben only mentors him on football, and not on any of his extracurriculars. 

11 minutes ago, Panther'sBigD said:

A scout for the Steelers lives in the Charlotte area. I'm sure their scouting department is well acquainted with Sam. I hate the Steelers, but that would be a great place for him to end up. As long as Ben only mentors him on football, and not on any of his extracurriculars. 

Agreed.

I know he has big fans here, but objectively speaking Pittsburgh is a way better landing spot.

58 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

In the first round? Yeah, not as high as he went. 

I get the "Texas Tech gimmick offense" thing. He just seemed to have more NFL tools than their average "system" QB. 

Would I ever have predicted him to be what he has become? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck no.

He also went into literally the perfect scenario.  A great oline.  Sit a year.  Learn from a great vet qb.  Learn from on of the best offensive minds in football.   

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

42 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Our poo is already fuged.  They need qb's, yes plural.  The oline is right there with it I agree.  But they are looking at 5 needed starters and several decent backups between the qb and oline positions.  That is pretty fuged of you ask me.

Yep we are fuged big time.   And please spare me the “we can address the oline in free agency” argument.   

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

Yep we are fuged big time.   And please spare me the “we can address the oline in free agency” argument.   

If you consider possibly signing one decent FA at an overpriced contract addressed then there's a chance.  No, this will take a couple of offseasons at minimum to unfug.

• Beer 1

10 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Look, I can play that game too. EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, Mike Glennon, Matt Barkley, Ryan Nassib, Tyler Wilson, Landry Jones, Brad Sorensen, BJ Daniels, Sean Renfree and Zac Dysery.

That’s every QB taken in the 2013 NFL draft. Not a single one worked out. Sometimes there are good QB drafts and sometimes their aren’t. Last two years were decent to great classes in terms of potential. This year is not a great class from everything I’ve read. Yes, sometimes people surprise but I tend to believe it when people talk about draft strengths and weaknesses. IMHO, if we go QB in the 1st, we should have done it this year or last year and if we didn’t like the guys at 7 or 8, we should have done what Houston and KC did and trade up. We were willing to part with a 2nd, 3rd and 4th for Darnold and CJ Henderson so trading up a bit from 7 or 8 should have been on the table. For some reason the “win now” part of our rebuild kept us throwing money and picks at retreads and we burned all of it.

I agree with drafting with a drafts strengths.  I thought we should have gone OT the year we took Brown and QB this year.  

I agree that this class is worse than last year on paper, but last year was one of the best QB classes ever, that doesn't mean they will turn out good, but as prospects it was one of the best ever.  I just don't think you can always wait for that type of class.

2013 was bad on paper, and it turned out bad.  2017 was bad on paper, Trubisky was the first QB drafted, that tells you what people thought of it, but it turned out good.  

I just don't think you can automatically discount any one position because of some perceived strength or weakness.

Last year pick 12 gets you the 5th QB off of the board.  This year it might get you the 2nd.  You might like the 2nd guy this year more than the 5th last year.

Ranking doesn't matter, all that matters is grade, there might be a guy in this class that we have high enough grade on to take at wherever we are picking in the first.

Person discusses Brugler's prediction and takes a further look at Pickett (link).

Excerpts below:

________________________________________________________________________________________

Why Pickett?

For starters, the Panthers need to develop a quarterback, even if they decide to bring Newton back. And Rhule has a history with Pickett, the New Jersey native who committed to Rhule at Temple before re-opening his recruitment and signing with Pitt.

Rhule has brought a lot of his former Temple and Baylor players to Charlotte. And while he didn’t coach Pickett, there’s obviously a familiarity there. Panthers college scouting director Cole Spencer was among the nearly 40 scouts and GMs in Pittsburgh on Nov. 11 to see Pickett and North Carolina quarterback Sam Howell. The Panthers will only have to walk down the hall to scout Pickett this week when Pitt plays Wake Forest in the ACC Championship Game at Bank of America Stadium.

Why not Pickett?

The combine will be important for Pickett as scouts will want the official measurements on Pickett’s … hand size. According to Yahoo! Sports’ Eric Edholm, Pickett’s “8 1/4-inch hands are going to be an issue for some teams,” as even 9-inch hands are considered to be on the small side for NFL quarterbacks. Pickett wears two gloves on game days, similar to Teddy Bridgewater, whose hands measured 9 1/4 inches at the 2014 combine.

The other consideration is whether the Panthers would be better off using a top-10 pick on an offensive tackle to start rebuilding an offensive line that they’ve tried to patch together since Rhule and GM Scott Fitterer arrived. That would seem to be the more prudent approach, particularly if the Panthers plan to aggressively go after a proven quarterback such as Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson (drafted when Fitterer was Seattle’s college scouting director) or Deshaun Watson, depending on his legal situation.

Person's take

Under owner Dave Tepper, the Panthers have shown he’s going to keep taking big swings at the quarterback position until they get it right. Seattle employed a similar approach while Fitterer was there, drafting Wilson in the third round in 2012 just a month after signing free agent Matt Flynn to a three-year deal.

Rhule can’t whiff on a quarterback again. With his size, arm strength and track record, Pickett is worthy of a deep scouting dive.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 1