• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tepper's Next HC: Get a Search Committee

saX man

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Some would say the NFL.

The decision was up to Colbert. It came down to Tomlin and then Steelers assistant Russ Grimm. Conspiracy theorists say the NFL pushed for Tomlin "in the spirit of the Rooney Rule".

No idea whether there's any validity to that, but the decision worked out regardless, so...

up to Colbert?  Based on what?

I would guess most coaching decisions are ultimately up to the owner regardless of what is reported.

3 hours ago, AU-panther said:
4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

The Steelers had Kevin Colbert running their search. We had David Tepper. And the results break down accordingly.

I don't necessarily care if there's a search committee choosing the next head coach or not. It just needs to not be Tepper.

Expand  

Single selections are a bit of a small sample size. 

Here again, I'm not saying Tepper needs to make the decision, I'm just saying people are drawing some absolute statements from a singular decision that are never really absolute.

on a side note, did Colbert make the final call on Tomlin?  or Rooney?

🙌🙌🙌

1 hour ago, AU-panther said:

up to Colbert?  Based on what?

I would guess most coaching decisions are ultimately up to the owner regardless of what is reported.

The Rooneys tend to let their people do their jobs, especially Colbert. Heck, Colbert's been one of the most powerful GMs in the league for quite a while now.

Though, ironically enough, the one person who's been cutting into Colbert's authority over the past few years has been Tomlin.

Edited by Mr. Scot

43 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The Rooneys tend to let their people do their jobs, especially Colbert. Heck, Colbert's been one of the most powerful GMs in the league for quite a while now.

Though, ironically enough, the one person who's been cutting into Colbert's authority over the past few years has been Tomlin.

Yet Art Rooney commented to the media about Antonio Brown specifically and signaled he was personally involved in the situation with Brown etc:

"Rooney addressed the Brown drama again and told reporters he hasn't been engaged in trade talks for Brown yet, but added that there aren't "that many signs out there" that point to A.B. returning to Pittsburgh at this time, per Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette."

https://www.nfl.com/news/art-rooney-ii-nonsense-to-call-steelers-out-of-control-0ap3000001011135

"» On Brown's decision to sit out of the Week 17 game against Cincinnati, Rooney said: "I wish I could say that I talked to Antonio and understand what he was thinking," per The Athletic's Mark Kaboly.  [example of Steelers owner lamenting not being directly involved as he would normally be]"

Rooney said one of Pittsburgh's goals is to secure an extension for 36-year-old quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who has one year left on his current deal."

Rooney would not commit to making an effort to extend coach Mike Tomlin, who has two years left on his contract. "Those are things we'll get to later in the offseason," he said, per Bouchette."

Rooney said he's talked to Tomlin about installing an assistant for the coach to help with with challenge calls on the field, but it wouldn't be their sole role, calling it "important," per Bouchette."

CONCLUSION: The suggestion that the Rooney Family is arms-length is completely laughable ...

..in fact Art Rooney is in the weeds to the point of recommending assistant coaches to help with on-field challenges!!

image.thumb.png.3739767472182e28a0cdb48c48436353.png

Edited by SizzleBuzz

4 hours ago, Jared Patterson said:

The scary thing if Rhule is coming back is he is going to absolutely force the issue at QB........

Would be deeply deeply unfair to the rookie QB they overdraft to come into a situation with the leagues worst OL playing for a coach that would have a scorching seat entering next year.

15 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Letting people do their job doesn’t necessarily mean picking the coach.

For all we know Colbert might have liked a guy that would have been terrible and Rooney made the call to go with Tomlin.

People are naive or stupid if they don’t think that more times than not the owner makes the final call on the coach.

• Flames 1

14 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Letting people do their job doesn’t necessarily mean picking the coach.

For all we know Colbert might have liked a guy that would have been terrible and Rooney made the call to go with Tomlin.

People are naive or stupid if they don’t think that more times than not the owner makes the final call on the coach.

That varies by team.

Either way, as always I'm gonna take reporting from legitimate sources more seriously than fan speculation.

• The D 1

15 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

What legitimate source said Colbert made the call for Tomlin and not Rooney? 

Ed Bouchette and numerous other sources at the time confirmed Colbert ran the search. 

Mind you, that's not to say the Rooneys had no part of the process (and I haven't said they didn't). What I've pointed out was they had their own guy running it, and he was trusted to do so, rather than going with an outside consultant.

Now granted, Colbert had been a long tenured and successful GM at the time of their coaching search. Fitterer has only been GM for a year.

• The D 1

Should probably mention we're getting away from the point here...

The heart of the topic is competence and self-awareness. From what we've seen so far, David Tepper doesn't have the first. Whether he has the second remains to be seen.

Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder are examples of owners who make terrible football decisions but lack the self awareness to understand that.

Jeffrey Lurie and Cal McNair are examples of guy who trust the wrong people, but don't see it that way.

David Tepper? He definitely fell into the second category with both Marty Hurney and Matt Rhule. He could also still be classified as type one as well. Again, remains to be seen.

What we're hoping for is that 1) he gives the next coaching search over to someone else and 2) it's someone smart enough to do it right.

I'm honestly not optimistic, but here's hoping...

• Beer 1

On 12/9/2021 at 10:41 AM, BurnNChinn said:

Albert Breer says it ain’t happening. He’s pretty reliable, I want him go but looks like he will get one more year. 2021=Brady scapegoat

Man, I hope he his wrong.... This team is the least fun to watch ever knowing Rhule may be back another season. The guy is lost.