• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

While Most National Media Is Preoccupied With The Meyer Trainwreck, The Big Lead Is Recognizing Ours...

Proudiddy

4 hours ago, 45catfan said:

I think with a competent coaching staff, rebuilding the OL and keeping key FAs this team is a playoff contender next year.  Yup, I said it.  That's how badly this roster is being mismanaged.   Lack of talent is not the main issue here ( except on the OL) coaching is.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1969705-vince-lombardi-was-also-a-great-general-manager

I pasted a link above just in case you wanted to read the entire 2014 article on Vince Lombardi as a coach and GM.

I'm only going to post a portion of it here. It follows up on a good point you made in your post.

"Lombardi inherited a team that went 1-10-1 in 1958. That team also had a lot of untapped talent then. On that squad were a number of players who would later be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Players like center Jim Ringo, offensive tackle Forrest Gregg, quarterback Bart Starr, halfback Paul Hornung, fullback Jim Taylor and middle linebacker Ray Nitschke. (Note: Jerry Kramer was on this team, but he didn't make the Hall of Fame until after it was written)

Lombardi took that 1-10-1 team from 1958 and immediately brought a winning tradition to Green Bay.

In 1959 the Packers went 7-5 under Lombardi. A year later they played in the NFL championship game against the Philadelphia Eagles. That would be the only postseason game Lombardi and his Packers ever lost.

The excellence of those teams was helped a great deal by the players Lombardi had inherited when he joined the team. But he also added to that excellence by acquiring some great talent himself through the draft and trades, plus free agent and waiver acquisitions as general manager...

-------

I know football was a different game back in the 1960's,, but I suggest reading the entire article. Lombardi did it all by himself with is rare these days. But, there isn't any reason why a good coach  and good GM can't  get on the same page an build a winner in Carolina. Lombardi took a one win squad to a title in his 3rd year...and 7 of the players on that 1-10-1 team are Hall of Famers. I'm not saying we have that type of talent here, but coaching makes a difference. I bet you none of those guys would be remembered today if not for Lombardi getting the absolute best out of them. Rhule can't seem to do that with his players and even seems to have difficulty properly evaluating personnel.

I have no doubt that Belichik, Peyton, Reid, Harbaugh, Tomlin, or LaFleur, or McVey could have this team as solid wild card team, if not division winner, if they had taken over in 2020. I think they would have needed a 3rd or 4th season to compete for a SB title with all of the inherited holes. A couple of them could probably take the current squad and coach them to a 9-10 win seasons if they took over in 2022 and fielded the exact same squad.

• Pie 3

12 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1969705-vince-lombardi-was-also-a-great-general-manager

I pasted a link above just in case you wanted to read the entire 2014 article on Vince Lombardi as a coach and GM.

I'm only going to post a portion of it here. It follows up on a good point you made in your post.

"Lombardi inherited a team that went 1-10-1 in 1958. That team also had a lot of untapped talent then. On that squad were a number of players who would later be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Players like center Jim Ringo, offensive tackle Forrest Gregg, quarterback Bart Starr, halfback Paul Hornung, fullback Jim Taylor and middle linebacker Ray Nitschke. (Note: Jerry Kramer was on this team, but he didn't make the Hall of Fame until after it was written)

Lombardi took that 1-10-1 team from 1958 and immediately brought a winning tradition to Green Bay.

In 1959 the Packers went 7-5 under Lombardi. A year later they played in the NFL championship game against the Philadelphia Eagles. That would be the only postseason game Lombardi and his Packers ever lost.

The excellence of those teams was helped a great deal by the players Lombardi had inherited when he joined the team. But he also added to that excellence by acquiring some great talent himself through the draft and trades, plus free agent and waiver acquisitions as general manager...

-------

I know football was a different game back in the 1960's,, but I suggest reading the entire article. Lombardi did it all by himself with is rare these days. But, there isn't any reason why a good coach  and good GM can't  get on the same page an build a winner in Carolina. Lombardi took a one win squad to a title in his 3rd year...and 7 of the players on that 1-10-1 team are Hall of Famers. I'm not saying we have that type of talent here, but coaching makes a difference. I bet you none of those guys would be remembered today if not for Lombardi getting the absolute best out of them. Rhule can't seem to do that with his players and even seems to have difficulty properly evaluating personnel.

I have no doubt that Belichik, Peyton, Reid, Harbaugh, Tomlin, or LaFleur, or McVey could have this team as solid wild card team, if not division winner, if they had taken over in 2020. I think they would have needed a 3rd or 4th season to compete for a SB title with all of the inherited holes. A couple of them could probably take the current squad and coach them to a 9-10 win seasons if they took over in 2022 and fielded the exact same squad.

I hear you man, and you might be right...but IMO we could have Lombardi himself coaching this team, and it will not matter until we get a real QB and a real Offensive Line. 

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

I honestly think Rhule would come off just as bad if he had the resume that Meyer has.  Rhule already has an air of arrogance to him just based off what he accomplished in college, but he didn't win championships, Meyer did which is why u think he is so brazen with his...  I think Rhule is very much the same, but as Scot said, he does a better job with the public-facing part of the job.  Meyer is reckless because he feels he can be.  Rhule is just as arrogant, but less sure he can display it like Meyer does...  I see it in how Rhule has talked about and dealt with players and coaches.  He just fired a guy and then spent the whole presser blowing smoke up our asses about how great he was.  It's not just coach speak, it signals his word means very little and he doesn't have a problem using them to get what he wants.  

And honestly, I keep going back to the story that I had forgot about until we played the Giants this year, where he sold himself to Tepper with that aforementioned gift of gab, got offered the job, then took our offer and had the audacity to go to NYG with it and told them if they match it he would pick them over us.

Dude is a complete narcissistic, ingenuine, amoral asshole.

I forgot all about his NY Giants little sneaky asshat situation he pulled. Welp, now I officially can't stand him. I know I want him gone for sure either way.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

From the article:

There are no easy answers in football, but it's abundantly clear that the Panthers have no clue what they're doing each week.

Hopefully Dave Tepper has had enough of Rhule's reign and is now doing what is necessary to bring in an extremely professional and highly competent NFL coaching staff for the 2022 season.

• Pie 2

8 hours ago, 45catfan said:

I think with a competent coaching staff, rebuilding the OL and keeping key FAs this team is a playoff contender next year.  Yup, I said it.  That's how badly this roster is being mismanaged.   Lack of talent is not the main issue here ( except on the OL) coaching is.

That’s the point!  

Football 1. 0. 1. 
1st lesson.  
Day 1.

Class, Football is a game won and lost in the trenches.

(Unless you used to coach Temple and Baylor, then I guess you just do whatever tf you want.)