• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

'20 Cam vs. '21 Garoppolo (and '19) (+ a Darnold tidbit)

Dory

For his Career Cam is under 60% completion rate.  That tells you all you need to know about his passing ability and now he cannot push the ball down the field any longer so he is a back up, but no longer a starter.  People letting their emotions think that he can take a team to any kind of heights are just that following their emotions.  Great guy and great in the community and I appreciate everything he has done, but time to move on.  

On 1/26/2022 at 7:15 PM, onmyown said:

I don’t think we need a vet - that’s Rhule and his idiocy. What we need is to let Rhule continue his process and stick with Darnold so we can start fresh in 2023. Constantly changing corse is not a process, in fact it’s the opposite.

So I actually agree Rhule needs to stick with his process and Darnold alone, but that's because I think he's such garbage I don't want ANYTHING else wasted on him.

But realistically, this entire team benefits from adding a veteran QB to push Sam in training camp. Ideally it's a very low cost short term rental vet.  It should have been done in camp last year. It isn't just about Darnold either, good vets bring a lot to practice etc, but Rhule doesn't value NFL experience because he can't fathom improving on The Process.

But instead we stuck with PJ so uh I'm glad the process can keep working.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Barney said:

For his Career Cam is under 60% completion rate.  That tells you all you need to know about his passing ability and now he cannot push the ball down the field any longer so he is a back up, but no longer a starter.  People letting their emotions think that he can take a team to any kind of heights are just that following their emotions.  Great guy and great in the community and I appreciate everything he has done, but time to move on.  

Question is, who in your QB room, your expensive QB room is BETTER than Cam Newton now? ..........not Sam.

You need a good QB to get to the SB. Our standard is Jake Delhomme here in Panther land. Question is, does 2022 Cam give you 2003 Jake or better?...…....Yes 

Can Cam start for 2-3 yrs until Carson Strong has soaked up everything he needs to like preparation, class, toughness, being a great teammate and KEEP POUNDING from the legend?.............

Happy Daniel Bryan GIF by WWE

That's the formula for building a legacy.

The Panthers do not have an expensive QB room.  Just posting these since I think there's some misconceptions about what expensive salaries and cap hits for QBs are. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/quarterback/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cap-hit/quarterback/

Cam vs Sam... I mean I think Cam brings more to the offense... But I don't want him back because it's hard to watch Rhule destroy him through poor management, bad OL in front of him, etc...

I don't know if Cam can be a full time starter anymore but I don't think we would be able to find that out on our poo show. I tend to think he could be. 

Edited by mav1234

39 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

Question is, who in your QB room, your expensive QB room is BETTER than Cam Newton now? ..........not Sam.

You need a good QB to get to the SB. Our standard is Jake Delhomme here in Panther land. Question is, does 2022 Cam give you 2003 Jake or better?...…....Yes 

Can Cam start for 2-3 yrs until Carson Strong has soaked up everything he needs to like preparation, class, toughness, being a great teammate and KEEP POUNDING from the legend?.............

Happy Daniel Bryan GIF by WWE

That's the formula for building a legacy.

I don't think he can.  Today's NFL is pass heavy and Cam does not have the arm to get it done.  I am not a fan of Darnold either, but hard to say he is better or worse than Cam with the way this season unfolded.  I really don't care if Cam comes back next year if he does I will just hunt and fish more on Sundays and wait for us to get another high draft pick in 2023 and maybe pick up a QB from a much better draft class.  If you think Cam can take this team to a SB and play better than Delhomme that is your prerogative.  I think his stats as a passing QB speak for themselves.  2-3 years as a starter is not even realistic, but I understand the emotional attachment many have and don't actually watch what he does on the field.    

22 minutes ago, Barney said:

The only players in the QB room now are Sam and PJ (Cam is a FA). There are actually several questions now:

1-Do we draft a QB to start or Develop, Trade for a QB, or sign a rental FA?  

2- If we draft do they start or sit? (Probably depends on competition I hope)

3- If we trade then Who (didn't Ben Mac. work with Minshew in Jacksonville)? In the scenario the player we bring in is probably automatically the starter.

4- If we sign a rental FA, then who? Will it be Cam or Someone else (T.Taylor, R. Fitz., or even Geno Smith?)?

5- Does the rental start? (Camp battle again I hope).

6- Does PJ play into this at all?

There are quiet a few ?s  or scenarios.

Edited by Michael G
  • Pie 1

SF wins because they have a good all around team, despite their QB. We need a good team all around before finding the franchise QB. Fields will be nothing in Chicago if they don't build around him. Murray didn't have a great team around him and they fizzled. Mac Jones didn't have enough and the list goes on. We need a really good O-line and Line that can stop the run and get some pressure. We do that, we will win 10+ games every year no matter who is at QB. But then having the franchise QB will take us over the top (Mahomes, Allen) and Burrow if they add more around him.

Cam isn't who he used to be, but I'd love to see him behind an actual OL, not the garbage we had out there this year.  I can say the same for Sam as well.  I'd like to see what he can do with a good OL as well.  That said, I don't think Cam is coming back here and I think that's HIS decision.

• Beer 1