• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Albright: Panthers circling on Pickett

electro's horse

50 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

Yes, this article is the one someone posted years ago to prove how wrong everyone was.

The Rams had the first overall pick in the draft, and the first of the second round. The rumor was we wanted to trade up into the first round to draft Clausen. Not that we were going to trade up a few spots in the second round to jump teams.

Trading up a few spots for a quarterback in the second isn't a crazy idea, especially when Carolina didn't have one.

You have to remember that Pickles was highly touted by a lot of the media at the time. Even after his atrocious rookie season we had analysts on the draft night talking about how the Panthers should stick with Clausen.

The rumor was specifically about trading into the first round. Which would have been a bad move.

The Rams had the 33rd pick. We had the 48th.

In no world is that "a few spots". Heck, it's almost half a round.

Edited by Mr. Scot

5 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

Indianapolis doesn’t have a first round draft pick this year but they are a team that would trade the farm to move up because Irsay is irrational and they are in win now mode.

Something  to keep an eye on with the Wentz news that he is getting shipped out or cut.

If we trade the #6 pick for Wentz... 😖

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

The Rams had the 33rd pick. We had the 48th.

In no world is that "a few spots". Heck, it's almost half a round.

Okay, so the trade would amount to trading up half of the second round. That is, if the rumor is accurate.

Some would say that's an okay gamble for a team without a quarterback. Especially considering most of this fanbase was okay with trading a second, fourth, and sixth for Darnold, and then argued it's fine we're taking his fifth year option.

So, the rumor of Hurney trying to trade next year's first to move back into the first in 2010 has been debunked. I know it's a huddle favorite, but it never made sense, and never had any sourced backing.

1 minute ago, Krovvy said:

Okay, so the trade would amount to trading up half of the second round. That is, if the rumor is accurate.

Some would say that's an okay gamble for a team without a quarterback. Especially considering most of this fanbase was okay with trading a second, fourth, and sixth for Darnold, and then argued it's fine we're taking his fifth year option.

So, the rumor of Hurney trying to trade next year's first to move back into the first in 2010 has been debunked. I know it's a huddle favorite, but it never made sense, and never had any sourced backing.

Its not a rumor

13 hours ago, Krovvy said:

I mean, okay.

We were all here last year. The last prediction I recall from Verge was Waddle, then maybe Horn or the other big corner. It was pretty off considering how many other experts got it right.

This was my last prediction 

xsPafp.jpg

I had 
Sewell > Horn > Waddle as our options 

vdRFu7.jpg

When Mac dropped I thought they would go him because of the hype he got from a few different people, that was incorrect. 

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

OKAY. 👍

That's real, or at least Hurney trying to move up and the 1st rounder being on the line.

"Carolina Panthers general manager Marty Hurney spent much of Friday trying to move up in the draft to take Jimmy Clausen, a day after the Notre Dame quarterback was a surprising first-round snub.

Hurney couldn’t strike a deal, however, and when Arizona traded up to the 47th slot — one pick ahead of the Panthers — Hurney acknowledged he was crushed, sure the Cardinals were going to take him.

“I could lie, but I won’t,” Hurney said.

Only the Cardinals passed on Clausen, too. It didn’t take Hurney long to pounce — shaking up Carolina’s newly shuffled quarterback depth chart."

https://greensboro.com/sports/clausen-falls-into-panthers-open-arms/article_878dff94-ff02-58c2-90ac-6a583358df58.html

Edited by KSpan

2 minutes ago, KSpan said:

That's real, or at least Hurney trying to move up and the 1st rounder being on the line.

"Carolina Panthers general manager Marty Hurney spent much of Friday trying to move up in the draft to take Jimmy Clausen, a day after the Notre Dame quarterback was a surprising first-round snub.

Hurney couldn’t strike a deal, however, and when Arizona traded up to the 47th slot — one pick ahead of the Panthers — Hurney acknowledged he was crushed, sure the Cardinals were going to take him.

“I could lie, but I won’t,” Hurney said.

Only the Cardinals passed on Clausen, too. It didn’t take Hurney long to pounce — shaking up Carolina’s newly shuffled quarterback depth chart."

https://greensboro.com/sports/clausen-falls-into-panthers-open-arms/article_878dff94-ff02-58c2-90ac-6a583358df58.html

I'm sorry, but I don't see where a first rounder was on the line, or where he tried to move up in the first. What we have is one quote that says he talked to the Rams.

It never made sense. Especially considering we dumped him after one season, and used the most expensive draft capital we've ever had to take a quarterback (that many thought was a huge risk) the following year.