• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If we draft a QB, I want Carson Strong

Ricky Spanish

1 hour ago, micnificent28 said:

The Willis isnt accurate rant is overstated. His accuracy isn't that bad

Coaches want you at 65% or better. He's below that.

The competition gets better in the NFL not worse.

I'll take a college guy with 70% and if that drops a little in the NFL he's still a good QB.

Willis if his drops from around 64% to something below that.....not good.

6 hours ago, OldhamA said:

No actual scout will tell you anything. 

If you mean the guys that own scouting websites or contribute to the NFL scouting pages - they're not scouts.

Well Bucky Brooks used to be a scout and he says that if Matt Corral gets into the right system, he will "pop at the next level." J.T. O'Sullivan as well as Chris Simms are not scouts, but they have been QBs in the NFL and know more than you or I (and probably even some scouts) about the position, and they also speak highly of Corral's traits. Furthermore, you can poo poo every blogger, ex-coach or GM, scout and plenty of others who know the position if you want, but I know that these people know more than you do about the position. Basically, you're talking out the side of your neck.

13 hours ago, Verge said:

How is the Carson Strong conversation so toxic? lol

-Arm is fine. Not as good as Willis/Corral probably right there with Pickett 
-Has zero mobility 
-Locks in on first receiver often 
-Good accuracy
-Pocket awareness and movement are not there 
-Good varied and layered throws at multiple levels 
-Has a longer wind up 
-No plan B if first two reads is there. Either chuck it or get nailed
-Quite a few "wow" throws
-Clear leader of that team

There are multiple times on tape where he kind of just gets layed the hell out. That won't fly in the NFL. Longer release does him zero favors.

Fair assessments all around but I disagree about the arm and the windup.

His arm is probably on par with Corral's and if not, still above Pickett's. 1-10 scale probably something like:

Willis-9

Corral - 8

Strong -8

Pickett - 7

If anything Strong's arm will look better this coming season as he progresses healing from the surgery he had before the season last year. He'll actually be able to step into his throws again. Apparently that's been a point of emphasis for him and Jordan Palmer leading into the draft. 

As for the release: 

I don't see the long hitch like I do with Howell. I think it looks a hair slower than Pickett's but the arm strength is there to make up for that slight dip. 

• Beer 1

11 hours ago, rippadonn said:

I'll take a college guy with 70% and if that drops a little in the NFL he's still a good QB.

The supporting cast gets better in the NFL as well. You don't get to jackpot the competition and use that as a reason why he will fail and keep him at liberty standards. Coaching and training improves. Regardless, his athletic ability gives him a guaranteed floor none of the other quarterbacks really have while he develops the rest. Just because you completed 70% at Nevada doesn't mean you will do it in the league.

The guy doesn't have a lot of elite traits to build apon. Which is why most people don't have him in the first round.

12 hours ago, rippadonn said:

Aaron Rodgers was 63.4% in college, Drew Brees 61.1%, Peyton Manning 62.5%.  Malik is 62.8%.....

• Flames 1

On 2/18/2022 at 11:51 AM, rippadonn said:

For all our failed gambles, this guy would be the ultimate moderate risk high reward prospect even at 6. 

He already reading and checking on his own. The IQ is there. He leads that offense he's changing plays and taking advantage. He has NFL height(6'4") weight, arm strength. Ops last video the guy proclaims Strong has the best deep ball in this class. I agree. It's effortless for him.

This team has done a lot of stupid stuff. Taking Strong, a potential prototype franchise QB who checks all the boxes at a young age as a JUNIOR wouldn't be the dumbest thing. That rookie contract could be gold on that guy.

6????? Not one of these guys is worthy of the 6 pick and sure as hell not a guy w/ a weird knee issue. Would much rather have Corral, but i'm an Ole Miss fan that watched him play a lot and he is not worth a 6 pick either.  

3 hours ago, rebelrouser said:

6????? Not one of these guys is worthy of the 6 pick and sure as hell not a guy w/ a weird knee issue. Would much rather have Corral, but i'm an Ole Miss fan that watched him play a lot and he is not worth a 6 pick either.  

I don't like any of these QBs at #6 either, really.

My point was taking a guy like Strong who IMO was waaaaaay better a lot sooner than Pick It and a better QB at QBing than Willis is a better reach at #6 because his style of play (pocket passer/down field accuracy) along with his high IQ and the fact his coaches let him read defenses and call plays himself at the line that he is more ready to play right away at the NFL level.

4 hours ago, micnificent28 said:

The supporting cast gets better in the NFL as well. You don't get to jackpot the competition and use that as a reason why he will fail and keep him at liberty standards. Coaching and training improves. Regardless, his athletic ability gives him a guaranteed floor none of the other quarterbacks really have while he develops the rest. Just because you completed 70% at Nevada doesn't mean you will do it in the league.

The guy doesn't have a lot of elite traits to build apon. Which is why most people don't have him in the first round.

Elite arm talent. 70% completion percentage, 348yrds per. THATS elite, not running around like a chicken.

I think you are too into his stats personally. 

It's college, stats don't really mean anything translating into the NFL.

Here's a college player who had similar stats back in the 2007 draft:

71.5% his last two years, 373 yds/gm 3.4/1.1 TD/INT Ratio

Colt Brennan, 6th round pick, did nothing in the NFL.

BUT elements of Strong's game translate well to the NFL:

• Arm Strength
  • Pocket movement
  • Accuracy
  • Deep ball placement
  • Autonomy at the line of scrimmage
  • ability to read a defense and take what is given
  • Good NFL Build (6'4 220)

He's just got a bum knee and he can't move because of it. There's still a place in the NFL for Carson Strong and I'd be thrilled as hell if we took him at some point. 

• Beer 2

1 minute ago, Ricky Spanish said:

• Arm Strength
  • Pocket movement
  • Accuracy
  • Deep ball placement

He's just got a bum knee and he can't move because of it. There's still a place in the NFL for Carson Strong and I'd be thrilled as hell if we took him at some point. 

Cool, stats are what lead me to his tape and I've been watching his tape since.

His best quality along with his arm is his IQ. That autonomy he has is more impressive than any stat. His coach trusts him basically with his job and reputation. That deep ball is worth it alone, being able to line up NFL fast WR and rip it downfield. Also prototypical QB size, I prefer my QBs to be 6'3" or better. 

The completions are just icing on the cake. There's more to love than stats, but data is data. 

6 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

• Arm Strength
  • Pocket movement
  • Accuracy
  • Deep ball placement

Similar to the other Colt as well--McCoy (minus the ground numbers)  

I mean, it would be nice for him to succeed, never rooting against a guy.  Seems to have the arm and LOS ability.