• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Offseason Strategy

Mr. Scot

Couple interesting thoughts from Ellis (posted elsewhere but worthy of a discussion on their own)

Basically, the theory is that the Panthers feel the need to make some moves they might not otherwise make because they're prepping for an offseason where no free agents with other options are gonna want to sign here. Those who do might not be in much demand or might be in their last years or maybe lesser known guys just looking for a chance somewhere.

Under normal circumstances, a consequence of that strategy would be to make the draft much more valuable. Unfortunately, we traded away a good portion of our picks so, unless we trade down or trade players for more picks, that cupboard looks kinda bare.

Oy 😕

It'd be nice to think we have hope because of the new coaching additions (or just general optimism) but right now I have to admit I'm looking at this offseason as something to analyze more than something to enjoy. The old Chinese saying "may you live in interesting times" applies here, again depending on your definition of "interesting".

I'm curious to hear what people think this is gonna look like.

Yeah, I know it's likely to be crap, but I'm thinking more in terms of specifics or predictions.

In light of what the team appears to be thinking, how do you see this playing out?

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 3

Free agents sign with shitty teams all the time. Look how many FA's the Jags routinely sign. It's about money in the end for most guys.

Personally, I've never expected us to go after any HUGE names in free agency. More likely we're looking at a handful of mid-level guys on the OL; I just hope they're half-decent ones, unlike last offseason.

• Pie 2

13 minutes ago, Luciu5 said:

Why keep a coaching staff/FO when you know this is what they will be dealing with? It's a lose/lose situation with predetermined results. Just not getting the reluctance to fire Rhule and suffer through a handicapped season.

Couldn't even begin to explain the "why" on this.

It never made sense to me.

Edited by Mr. Scot

3 minutes ago, CatalystNX said:

Free agents sign with shitty teams all the time. Look how many FA's the Jags routinely sign. It's about money in the end for most guys.

Personally, I've never expected us to go after any HUGE names in free agency. More likely we're looking at a handful of mid-level guys on the OL; I just hope they're half-decent ones, unlike last offseason.

Usually shitty teams have to overpay for said services.

If JAX or CAR is the destination, they aren't signing here for the same amount of money as say....Dolphins or Green Bay.  We have to pay higher to get their services...which is one of the reasons the team was bad to start with.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Couldn't even begin to explain the "why" on this.

It never made sense to me.

The why is simple, Tepper has no idea what is going on and still thinks Rhule can work his 3rd year magic...

I do wonder if he is thinking something like 'these fans, what is their problem? He told you to trust the process.' There is zero indications that he has learned one positive thing from his Rhule mess yet.

6 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Usually shitty teams have to overpay for said services.

If JAX or CAR is the destination, they aren't signing here for the same amount of money as say....Dolphins or Green Bay.  We have to pay higher to get their services...which is one of the reasons the team was bad to start with.

We're not just a sh-tty team.

We're a sh-tty team headed for a wasted season with a lame duck coach.

Good luck marketing that to free agents.

0*JB6K7NDfOTspbS1t.gif

• Pie 1

I'll look into my crystal ball and take a shot:

• 1) Ian Thomas contract means the team will play a lot of double TE
  • 2) double TE protects the lousy OL - which means the team isn't planning on adding any new FA or draft picks to help
  • 3) double TE means the team runs a lot more, taking the ball out of Darnold's / Pickett's (tiny) hands.  Less emphasis on passing and fewer INT's
  • 4)  The Panthers offense is going to be as run-centric as Ohio State circa 1974 and become one of the lowest scoring and least explosive teams in the NFL
  • 5) the Carolina fans will look fondly on those recent 5 win seasons and wish the 2022 squad could be so good
  • Pie 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, BlitzMonster said:

I'll look into my crystal ball and take a shot:

• 1) Ian Thomas contract means the team will play a lot of double TE
  • 2) double TE protects the lousy OL - which means the team isn't planning on adding any new FA or draft picks to help
  • 3) double TE means the team runs a lot more, taking the ball out of Darnold's / Pickett's (tiny) hands.  Less emphasis on passing and fewer INT's
  • 4)  The Panthers offense is going to be as run-centric as Ohio State circa 1974 and become one of the lowest scoring and least explosive teams in the NFL
  • 5) the Carolina fans will look fondly on those recent 5 win seasons and wish the 2022 squad could be so good

Reasonable, especially number four.

• Beer 1

I'd expect Rhule to dictate moves that give him the best chance of still being employed after the season. I'd anticipate he'd want to acquire a Jimmy G level QB to compete with Darnold unless he thinks a rookie like Pickett gives him a mulligan (though that strategy didn't work out for Nagy).

Loyalty and guys who are "bought in" to Rhule will be paramount to him. This could possibly explain the recent move to resign Thomas as Ian is 'bought in'.

As for Tepper's motivation, I'm speculating that maybe he still wants Kevin Colbert as a consultant/football czar. He knows he can't get Colbert until after the draft so he's giving Rhule/Fitterer another go at it. 

If Rhule/Fitt pull a rabbit out of their hat, and have a successful season, Tepper looks like a genius for his 'patience'. If they don't, Tepper can clear the deck and let Colbert have broad discretion with little pushback. 

4 minutes ago, trueblade said:

I'd expect Rhule to dictate moves that give him the best chance of still being employed after the season. I'd anticipate he'd want to acquire a Jimmy G level QB to compete with Darnold unless he thinks a rookie like Pickett gives him a mulligan (though that strategy didn't work out for Nagy).

Loyalty and guys who are "bought in" to Rhule will be paramount to him. This could possibly explain the recent move to resign Thomas as Ian is 'bought in'.

As for Tepper's motivation, I'm speculating that maybe he still wants Kevin Colbert as a consultant/football czar. He knows he can't get Colbert until after the draft so he's giving Rhule/Fitterer another go at it. 

If Rhule/Fitt pull a rabbit out of their hat, and have a successful season, Tepper looks like a genius for his 'patience'. If they don't, Tepper can clear the deck and let Colbert have broad discretion with little pushback. 

Again, reasonable analysis.

I'd throw in the caveat that while Rhule will most certainly make moves to help save his job, he hasn't necessarily shown great judgment at all times so some of those moves may backfire.