• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Person talks QB options...

Mr. Scot

21 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

It is a colossal mistake.  I just can't find the words to adequately express how disappointed and disgusted I would be in this franchise. It is beyond ironic and hypocritical for this owner and the league to allow this trade to go down.

I will walk away from this franchise as a fan should we trade for Watson before any of this is actually resolved. If you have ever known anyone that has been assaulted, and unfortunately I do, you know what a destructive force this can be on their lives. To ignore what he has been accused of simply because he can throw a ball would leave a stench on this franchise that wouldn't easily, if ever, be washed away. Right now, Watson is a player than cannot and should not be touched. 

• Pie 3

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

...and in the process, confirms something he previously said was unknown.

Watson was not willing to waive his no-trade clause for Carolina before the deadline, preferring to go to Miami. But now that the Dolphins have shut the door on Watson, would he consider coming to Charlotte? It likely depends on who the other interested teams are. Tampa Bay, looking to reload after Tom Brady’s retirement, has a stacked roster and ascending offensive coordinator in Byron Leftwich.

More excerpts about various options...

Deshaun Watson:

Before the trade deadline, multiple teams offered Houston packages that included three first-round picks and two third-round selections, according to NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero. Houston reportedly has been unwilling to move from that asking price for a player who — despite his off-the-field issues — is one of the league’s top quarterbacks and is still in the prime of his career.

Mitch Trubisky:

The Panthers could try to sign Trubisky to a short-term deal to either compete with or supplant Darnold, and it would not preclude them from taking a quarterback in the draft.

But the Panthers have gone down this road before — taking a flier on a young quarterback who was a top-3 pick in the hopes he might flourish in a new system — and look at how that’s gone.

Jimmy Garoppolo:

Teammates rave about Garoppolo’s leadership and presence, but critics say he’s a game manager who needs everything to be right around him to be successful.

That said, he’s an upgrade over Darnold and could be in the mix for the Panthers if they miss out on Watson.

Derek Carr:

The Panthers would be interested in Carr if he becomes available, but that seems like a pipe dream at this point.

Kirk Cousins/Carson Wentz

These two are lumped together because, while NFL personnel officials consider them a step up from Darnold, neither is the Super Bowl-caliber quarterback whom team owner David Tepper has said he’s seeking.

Team sources said the Panthers never called about Cousins, whose $45 million cap number makes him unmovable without a new contract.

Kenny Pickett/Malik Willis/Desmond Ridder

All three of these guys impressed in their own way last week in Indianapolis. Pickett is the most NFL-ready quarterback in a weak class. Willis has a big arm and a high ceiling, while Ridder impressed the Panthers — and other teams — with his makeup and overall skill set.

Given the quality and depth of the offensive tackles, Fitterer said last week that it probably makes the most sense to take a tackle at No. 6, but added: “That will come down to whatever we do in free agency.”

I wish we would build a team and draft a quarterback whether it is this year or next. I do not see how it is smart to trade a boatload of draft picks for a quarterback, but maybe that’s just me. We need an Offensive line first.

2 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I will walk away from this franchise as a fan should we trade for Watson before any of this is actually resolved. If you have ever known anyone that has been assaulted, and unfortunately I do, you know what a destructive force this can be on their lives. To ignore what he has been accused of simply because he can throw a ball would leave a stench on this franchise that wouldn't easily, if ever, be washed away. Right now, Watson is a player than cannot and should not be touched. 

Will you walk away if Watson comes here after his legal matters have been resolved?

1 minute ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

It's what you call winning (try to) at all costs. Integrity and compassion be damned. The game it too important. 

But let's say that all the allegations weren't true for the unethical crowd.  How can you justify putting everything you can scrape up for a guy to be the face of the franchise that didn't have enough awareness and self control to put himself in a situation like this the begin with.

Beyond stupid and embarrassing that the team I devoted my time cheering for since inception has stooped to such lows.

Just now, pantherj said:

Will you walk away if Watson comes here after his legal matters have been resolved?

Depends on how it's resolved. If he's cleared of charges and the civil matter isn't resolved by a huge payout, then no, I'll still be a fan of the Panthers. If there is a civil settlement and/or a plea arrangement, and we still trade for him, then yes, I will still walk away. 

3 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

It's what you call winning (try to) at all costs. Integrity and compassion be damned. The game it too important. 

But let's say that all the allegations weren't true for the unethical crowd.  How can you justify putting everything you can scrape up for a guy to be the face of the franchise that didn't have enough awareness and self control to put himself in a situation like this the begin with.

Beyond stupid and embarrassing that the team I devoted my time cheering for since inception has stooped to such lows.

And there's no way to guarantee he won't put himself in the same position again. We'd basically be bailing the Texans out of a huge jam and assuming all the risk. It's an extreme risk/moderate reward scenario. We could land our franchise QB and have no real assets, cap or picks, to build around him. It would likely take 3 or 4 years to build a team that could be capable of making the playoffs, and if not, then what. Watson says he's not playing here anymore and demands a trade or refuses to sign his franchise tag? This just isn't a good move all the way around. 

1 minute ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

And there's no way to guarantee he won't put himself in the same position again. We'd basically be bailing the Texans out of a huge jam and assuming all the risk. It's an extreme risk/moderate reward scenario. We could land our franchise QB and have no real assets, cap or picks, to build around him. It would likely take 3 or 4 years to build a team that could be capable of making the playoffs, and if not, then what. Watson says he's not playing here anymore and demands a trade or refuses to sign his franchise tag? This just isn't a good move all the way around. 

It's a no win situation.  There is no upside to this.