• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Panthers have first round grades on 3 QBs.

Zod

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

The fact still remains Rhule is on the hot seat and is not going to roll out with Sam and PJ again after last year. If he grabs a OT or DE he is going to do something stupid like trade back into the first or trade for Baker/Jimmy G and possibly extend them. Yes this class is seen as “weak” because there is no top guy. Most scouts have first round grades on 3 (some 4) of these QBs and QBs will always be overdrafted. If you are sitting back and waiting for one to fall into right where you see him projected it may never happen. If they think one of these guys can be a franchise QB then I have no problem with them drafting one. 
As a fan of this team I would love some intrigue/excitement versus then trying to force Sam/PJ down our throats again. We all know how that story goes and I don’t want Rhule using any future picks on acquiring a vet or getting back into round 1. As the Cardinals already showed us, it’s easy to move on from a drafted QB if it even comes to that. So drafting one gives me excitement/hope as a fan and I think helps keep Rhule from ruing next year’s draft for our potential new coach. 
I won’t get mad if we draft a OL because that’s another top valued position we always ignore. However, these guys are guaranteed to be elite either. Neal may be seen as more of a RT (which we don’t need), Icky may struggle against speedy pass rushers (something every team has in the NFL), and I’ve seen Cross drop the to 20s because he isn’t fully developed in run blocking. Penning is a small school guy so there is a huge talent gap. 

Yeah, I know Rhule is on the hot seat. Hence why you don't let that fuging idiot make those long term decisions he isn't gonna be here for. Hence why, normally, you just fuging fire a guy like him. But, I mean....what can we say about that at this point?

It's not because there is no "top guy." It's because this draft class has low end starters as the upper part of the class and a lot of players that aren't gonna be in the NFL long after that. It is WAY beyond it being no star power.

As a fan of this team, I just want to stop seeing us do extremely stupid things. QB at 6 is extremely stupid. We shouldn't have to pivot from making a bad mistake....if you just don't make that mistake in thr first place. 

Here's the truth, it doesn't matter who we draft at 6 for 2022. We are going to suck next season. Even if we trade the farm for Jimmy G or Baker or whatever cast off, we are going to suck in 2022. So why do I want it to be at the cost of the future of our team?

Why waste a pick when you can just get better at one position? Why? Why willingly just go and do something stupid and just hope it works out? 

At least if you try and take an elite talent, you give yourself a fighting chance at being right. Not taking a 2nd or 3rd round caliber QB and just hoping this is the shot that gets through the defenses and you found an outlier. 

That's what our strategy has been so far. If we take enough 1/1000 odds shots, one will eventually hit. We'll guess who doesn't do that? SUCCESSFUL GAMBLERS.

• Flames 1
  • Poo 1

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

FYI to all about these QB measureables:

• Coral is 6' 1.5" and 212 lbs. 
  • Pickett is 6'3" 217 lbs.
  • Willis is 6' 0.5" 219 lbs.

Robert Griffin was considered a bit frail.  he was 6' 2.5" and 223 lbs.

Yeah, but it's all about the frame.  Corral's 212 lbs looks a lot different than the other two guys at similar weight. 

• Pie 1

11 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

The fact still remains Rhule is on the hot seat and is not going to roll out with Sam and PJ again after last year. If he grabs a OT or DE he is going to do something stupid like trade back into the first or trade for Baker/Jimmy G and possibly extend them. Yes this class is seen as “weak” because there is no top guy. Most scouts have first round grades on 3 (some 4) of these QBs and QBs will always be overdrafted. If you are sitting back and waiting for one to fall into right where you see him projected it may never happen. If they think one of these guys can be a franchise QB then I have no problem with them drafting one. 
As a fan of this team I would love some intrigue/excitement versus then trying to force Sam/PJ down our throats again. We all know how that story goes and I don’t want Rhule using any future picks on acquiring a vet or getting back into round 1. As the Cardinals already showed us, it’s easy to move on from a drafted QB if it even comes to that. So drafting one gives me excitement/hope as a fan and I think helps keep Rhule from ruing next year’s draft for our potential new coach. 
I won’t get mad if we draft a OL because that’s another top valued position we always ignore. However, these guys are guaranteed to be elite either. Neal may be seen as more of a RT (which we don’t need), Icky may struggle against speedy pass rushers (something every team has in the NFL), and I’ve seen Cross drop the to 20s because he isn’t fully developed in run blocking. Penning is a small school guy so there is a huge talent gap. 

After reading Joe Person's "alignment" article, I get the feeling Matt Rhule isn't looking to draft a quarterback.

But Scott Fitterer is.

Fitterer has talked a lot about "doing things the right way", drafting a young quarterback and building around him.

But that requires patience. Rhule can't necessarily afford to be patient, and David Tepper apparently just isn't.

So and it seemed that if Scott Fitterer gets his way, we'll be drafting a quarterback. If Matt Rhule wins, we'll be going after a free agent.

54 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

After reading Joe Person's "alignment" article, I get the feeling Matt Rhule isn't looking to draft a quarterback.

But Scott Fitterer is.

Fitterer has talked a lot about "doing things the right way", drafting a young quarterback and building around him.

But that requires patience. Rhule can't necessarily afford to be patient, and David Tepper apparently just isn't.

So and it seemed that if Scott Fitterer gets his way, we'll be drafting a quarterback. If Matt Rhule wins, we'll be going after a free agent.

Sooo....Fitterer may be the actual dumb one? JFC....what a train wreck.

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Sooo....Fitterer may be the actual dumb one? JFC....what a train wreck.

Well, on the question of "the right way to build", I'd say he's correct.

Where the issue comes in is whether or not one of this year's quarterbacks is the right guy to build around.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Well, on the question of "the right way to build", I'd say he's correct.

Where the issue comes in is whether or not one of this year's quarterbacks is the right guy to build around.

The second part is the biggest portion. If you think this is the year........well....please send Marty back....

Just now, NCTHFL0567 said:

Dumb in what sense? If they draft a QB and sit him for a year it's not dumb. But we all know that's not going to happen. 

Dumb in the sense that these aren't the QB's to build around. 

Don't get me wrong, the logic is sound in what he is saying but if these are the guys you want to build around.......well......God Bless.

11 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Don't get me wrong, the logic is sound in what he is saying but if these are the guys you want to build around.......well......God Bless.

Yep. I agree, but if you at least let the guys sit for a year. You can possibly maximize their potential. But we know that's not happening here. 

13 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't want a quarterback this year either but it's fair to ask, does a year under a guy like Garoppolo really advance us anywhere?

(getting Rhule fired does but that could just as easily happen with a rookie)