• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Next year’s QB crop is better. Let’s wait until then.

ncfan

Given what option A and B has looked like, I don't want this crew picking another QB over how underwhelming this class looks or another limited vet option. It just is what it is at this point. They are lining up to have to do it, just rolling with Sam is hard for them to justify unless Tepper gives them a pass year and fug that. 

If we had drafted Slater last year we wouldn't still need a LT and could take a flier on one of these guys without much pain but here we are...again. A LT, a less than last year's rookie QB or another D player to ignore the team building failures of the recent past. 

I'm all about collecting draft capital for next year but as much as I don't like this QB class there are just no guarantees next year will be better for us...other than the odds of 2 back to back 2013 classes sounds real low. 

35 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

Im more in the 'wait for 23' crowd but this post has me thinking. 

Our 'best' situation might be to pick a QB this year and ride with him all year. Assuming we finish top somewhere in the 3-6 range, given the draft capital from the Eagles and Giants we might be in the best position to trade with them for a kings ransom... but only if we already have our QB. 

If we draft a QB this year we might be able to trade our 1st next year for a king ransom. 

Kudos.  But that's out-of-the-box thinking, which is usually frowned upon around here.

31 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Which one is going to hit in year 1?

I have no idea. Everyone says that they all suck. That said most experts were also not excited about Josh Allan either. Another draft expert also famously said that Jimmy Claussen was a can't miss prospect. Its a crap shoot. 

13 minutes ago, grimesgoat said:

Kudos.  But that's out-of-the-box thinking, which is usually frowned upon around here.

Yeah, football discussion happens less and less around here. Its more about trying to dunk on others. 

I was just thinking to how set up teams are when they can acquire multiple 1st round picks. How that suddenly becomes a very valuable currency if used correctly that can be traded and re-traded for years. 

Given Fitter's ability, I could see how he could really do well with that bargaining power. But the only way to be able to do that is if you already have a QB on the roster. Until that happens nothing else is more valuable. 

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

Yeah, football discussion happens less and less around here. Its more about trying to dunk on others. 

I was just thinking to how set up teams are when they can acquire multiple 1st round picks. How that suddenly becomes a very valuable currency if used correctly that can be traded and re-traded for years. 

Given Fitter's ability, I could see how he could really do well with that bargaining power. But the only way to be able to do that is if you already have a QB on the roster. Until that happens nothing else is more valuable. 

I agree.  Grabbing a guy like Willis, who you know will have some growing pains, may be the best move.  The combo of he and Darnold, without a shiny new LT, could propel us into a very interesting 4-13 type campaign.

But with our QB of the future in place, and probably a new coach after that lousy record, a top 5 pick in hand, and a strong QB crop - we'd be in prime position for a trade rape.

• Pie 1

24 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Don't worry friend, they will be drafting a qb next year even if one is taken in this draft. 

Honestly thats ok. 1st round QB's hold their value. Look at the recent example of Josh Rosen. 

Rosen was 1st round pick in 2018. Replaced by Murray the next year BUT still traded for a 2nd round pick. 

If we draft a QB this year AND draft a QB next year we will still recover value. (why am I suddenly in the defend drafting a QB camp!?...) 

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, CanadianCat said:

Honestly thats ok. 1st round QB's hold their value. Look at the recent example of Josh Rosen. 

Rosen was 1st round pick in 2018. Replaced by Murray the next year BUT still traded for a 2nd round pick. 

If we draft a QB this year AND draft a QB next year we will still recover value. (why am I suddenly in the defend drafting a QB camp!?...) 

I missed the most obvious example. Sam Darnold. 

Even BAD 1st round QB's hold value. 

• Pie 2

Just now, CanadianCat said:

If you hadn't noticed we don't have a lot of choices at the position right now. The position also has a ton of cap tied up. The only solution to digging out is the draft. 

They need more than one rookie contract at that position and the draft is the best place to start. So look for them to draft one every year until the find one that sticks. 

• Pie 2