• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: Panthers have the inside track to trade for Baker Mayfield

TheSpecialJuan

1 minute ago, EgoDogg said:

I see it the other way around. A deal before the draft, Carolina has the leverage. We can't strike a deal, then we have the option to draft a QB. If the draft comes & goes, where we don't take a QB, then Cleveland can up the asking price because we have no other options.

I love how unpredictable this is. I have no idea what's going to happen. It's refreshing.

I know this sounds crazy, but we can roll with Sam or at least make Cleveland think so.  Baker WILL NOT be on their roster come camp, even if they have to cut him outright.  We have Darnold, as bad as that sounds we at least have that option.  Cleveland doesn't have the option to keep Baker, trust me on that.  He will become toxic to the locker room and a major distraction.  Their front office is well aware of this.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 4

10 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I know this sounds crazy, but we can roll with Sam or at least make Cleveland think so.  Baker WILL NOT be on their roster come camp, even if they have to cut him outright.  We have Darnold, as bad as that sounds we at least have that option.  Cleveland doesn't have the option to keep Baker, trust me on that.  He will become toxic to the locker room and a major distraction.  Their front office is well aware of this.

Very well could be true. Or the staff can be stubborn about it and let him ride the pine as #3 for the season and it won't cost them anymore than cutting him. After the season, he walks, and they may get a comp pick out of it. That or trade him if there's an injury to a starter somewhere.

There are a million directions this can go.

Per Aaron Wilson:

No trade is imminent or developing at this time as the Carolina Panthers and Seattle Seahawks continue to contemplate their plans, including potentially drafting a quarterback in the first round of the 2022 NFL Draft, such as Liberty’s Malik Willis or Pitt’s Kenny Pickett, according to NFL sources.

Those sources emphasized that there is definite interest in Mayfield around the league, including from teams that might pursue him as a free agent in 2023 when his contract expires. They also noted that it’s a matter of timing and quarterback market fluctuation in what remains a fluid situation.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/baker-mayfield-trade-market-whats-next-for-former-top-overall-pick/

5 hours ago, 45catfan said:

I agree, hopefully we learned our lesson from the Sam trade, probably could have gotten him for just a 3rd or 4th if we'd waiting til after the draft. Or maybe we even had just kept Teddy/drafted Fields if the FO were patient in an obvious rebuild year. 

Per Tony Pauline

Both the Seattle Seahawks and Carolina Panthers have an interest in Mayfield, though it must be classified as remote at this point and nothing is pending. Sources close to the situation tell me a trade to either of those teams likely wouldn’t happen until after the first round is completed next Thursday. If Mayfield is not traded by the time the 2022 NFL Draft is over, the quarterback and the Browns could be in for a long haul

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-news-and-rumors-baker-mayfields-contract-and-deshaun-watson-signing-impacting-qbs-trade-market/

An NFC executive told Fansided’s Matt Lombardo the Seahawks are still “very much in the mix” to trade for Baker Mayfield.

Mayfield’s market “has started to intensify,” according to Lombardo, with the Browns looking to move Mayfield ahead of next week’s draft. Seattle has been the top landing spot for Mayfield, but with $15.7 million in cap space, Cleveland would need to cover part of Mayfield's $18 million salary to get a deal done. The Panthers plan to wait until after the draft before considering Mayfield and Jimmy Garoppolo trades, while the Steelers are expected to have Mayfield interest if the Browns grant his release. Whichever team passes on drafting a quarterback could ultimately be where Mayfield ends up.