• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Week Of: Draft Buzz, Rumors, & News (w/updates)

davos

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Ted Nguyen commented on Tom Pelissero's QB scouting article, stating it sounds like some personnel guys are looking purely at physical traits in quarterbacks. He didn't consider it wise (neither do I).

I know some people cite Josh Allen, but Allen is still an outlier. And it's not like just because one guy does something it's now gonna be possible for everyone to do it.

Yeah. If you use outliers as the basis for your decisions, you aren't going to be very successful.

Actually sounds like someone we know...

North Carolina Idk GIF by Carolina Panthers

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

You can read the full breakdown here: Sam Howell

Here's what they said in the "Technical" section (touching on his deep passing near the end)

Very quick feet to move around the pocket, can slide/climb to avoid rush and reset very quickly. Flashes the ability to manipulate defenders with eyes. Adequate decision-making considering a system that didn't give him many answers. Flashed ability to anticipate with throws early in the year. Quick throwing motion and shows above the line velocity on underneath to intermediate throws, able to squeeze into tight windows between the numbers. Outstanding accuracy underneath to protect WRs and create YAC for players in motion. Gets outside the pocket well and can throw accurately off-platform. … Backpedals in most drops. Rarely made it to a third read, scrambling if initial read was covered. Plays hero ball, especially in clutch situations, leading to poor decisions. Lost trust in receivers throughout the year (reasonably) and stopped anticipating with throws. Limited throwing mechanics, overstriding with overly-wide plant step, pointing plant foot across body, and opening hips early, significantly decreasing torque. Kicks back leg. Uneven shoulders on deep passes. Poor weight transfer. Mechanical issues compound on deep passes, causing limited accuracy.

All those mechanical issues are why I would steer clear of him. He didn't clean up any of that headed into this season, so I question if he has the ability(or motovation) to fix that stuff. Ridder is the same way. His throwing mechanic flaws are going to be difficult to unwind.

Neither of those guys are going to be able to get away with that at the NFL level.

7 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Not surprised about Linderbaum. His measurables were honestly alarming and center isn't a high value position. Plenty of drafts don't see a single center go in R1. 

FWIW, I still think the guy will likely be a quality starting NFL center but he's nowhere close to the generational center prospect folks were trying to make him out to be when many on this board were begging for him at #6.

Many? One guy was claiming he was a generational center.  I have not seen "many" saying to draft him. A couple wanted him in the bottom of first but I have not seem "many' wanting him at 6.

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Beer 1

Deebo to the Jets? 
The 49ers may end up with the 10th pick come draft time. And honestly, they could land a better receiver there in Jameson Williams or Garrett Wilson

https://www.ninersnation.com/2022/4/25/23040199/49ers-news-deebo-trade-draft-trey-lance-jimmy-g-stefon-diggs-samuel-davante-contract-nfl-golden

Edited by davos

8 minutes ago, davos said:

From the article...

After all of Carolina's many misfires at the QB position, you think this billionaire if gonna listen to scouts or "football people" making a pitch for Malik Willis? I don't.

I'm not a fan of Malik willis, nor do I know whether our football people (particularly Matt Rhule) are "making a pitch" for him.

With all that said, the idea of David Tepper ignoring advice from football people and making his own decision isn't exactly a positive thought.

• Pie 1

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

From the article...

After all of Carolina's many misfires at the QB position, you think this billionaire if gonna listen to scouts or "football people" making a pitch for Malik Willis? I don't.

I'm not a fan of Malik willis, nor do I know whether our football people (particularly Matt Rhule) are "making a pitch" for him.

With all that said, the idea of David Tepper ignoring advice from football people and making his own decision isn't exactly a positive thought.

I agree although I don’t think JLC’s inside sources are Carolina rooted. That part of his “insider” article seemed to be pure speculation.

Just now, davos said:

I agree although I don’t think JLC’s inside sources are Carolina rooted. That part of his “insider” article seemed to be pure speculation.

LaCanfora is legendarily hit or miss.

He seemed to have pretty good information on Cam Newton and that whole saga when he was here. Also was one of the people who called our interest in Deshaun Watson pretty early.

On the flipside, hes been wrong about other things. LaCanfora was one of the people repeatedly saying there were no limits on what Tepper would do to get Watson. Turns out there most definitely were.

7 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

You can read the full breakdown here: Sam Howell

Here's what they said in the "Technical" section (touching on his deep passing near the end)

Very quick feet to move around the pocket, can slide/climb to avoid rush and reset very quickly. Flashes the ability to manipulate defenders with eyes. Adequate decision-making considering a system that didn't give him many answers. Flashed ability to anticipate with throws early in the year. Quick throwing motion and shows above the line velocity on underneath to intermediate throws, able to squeeze into tight windows between the numbers. Outstanding accuracy underneath to protect WRs and create YAC for players in motion. Gets outside the pocket well and can throw accurately off-platform. … Backpedals in most drops. Rarely made it to a third read, scrambling if initial read was covered. Plays hero ball, especially in clutch situations, leading to poor decisions. Lost trust in receivers throughout the year (reasonably) and stopped anticipating with throws. Limited throwing mechanics, overstriding with overly-wide plant step, pointing plant foot across body, and opening hips early, significantly decreasing torque. Kicks back leg. Uneven shoulders on deep passes. Poor weight transfer. Mechanical issues compound on deep passes, causing limited accuracy.

Here’s the Q. If you have confidence in Christensen as a future LT do you make a trade down…try to pick up a 1st next year and a 2nd this year. Then hope you can get Linderbaum/Strange to plug in at OG along with a QB prospect? 

I wouldn’t hate that gameplan. But I still think getting one of the top OTs this year and then a QB next year is the way to go. But they may not see a huge difference in the OT position if they really are sold on BC as the future.