• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Does Matt Rhule develop players?

poundaway

3 hours ago, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

It's hard to know who Rhule has spent a lot of time with and actually tried to "develop" while here with the Panthers. I feel like that is more of a position coach job. Although, I'm sure Andy Reid had a hand in developing Mahomes, so it would help if we had a HC that can mold talent.

It would be nice to see a behind-the-scenes video of Rhule with the players and staff because whatever is presented to us on game day and in press conferences/interviews looks to be a disaster. 

Matt Rhule could of hired me for 2 dollars last season and I could of made him look better than he looked.  Heck I would do it for free.  It's a quick convo. 

He talks too much.  He is the one painting the picture for us that he doesn't actually know what the heck he is doing.   He is the one that goes on these nervous talking hyper speed rants. 

I could just show him some tape of John Fox.  Look Matt, see how he doesn't say diddly.   Now you try it.  Reporter asks you about practice you don't go on a 15 minute ramble about how you hope to be a real NFL teams one day like the one you shared practice wtih, you don't brag about telling the opposing coach they could call all the shots and do whatever they wanted with your time, etc.  You don't tell folks that you finally sat down with your project and damaged QB Sam Darnold for the first time at the midway mark of the season for the first time 

If Fox is too advanced we could start with some tape of Ron.  A more long winded Fox.  

It is what it is.  Missed opportunies.  And keep it moving.  Yeah, people will get annoyed with that too.  They might think you are still an idiot that doesn't know up from down.  But you don't paint the vivid picture because now there isn't much to debate on it. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Position coaches develop individual players, however Rhule is the HC and he needs to provide guidance and structure to his position coaches on what he wants out of his players. Based on last year's draft class, we didn't get much out of our picks. I know Jaycee got hurt but outside of that, no one else really contributed. Rhule's first draft only netted 2 full time starters in Brown and Chinn, everyone else is a rotational player. This will be year 3 for 2020 draft class and based on how they play, we can get a better sense if Rhule can really develop players. 

• Pie 2

These guys hate Rhule.  They have been blasting him since day three.  At the same time they call them as they see them.

"We know that over time, he's proven coach that over time the team will get better.  It remains to be seen in the NFL.....He has also proven that in the NFL, guys on the fringe, are they gonna be busts?  Are they gonna pan out?  Bro, they're playing good ball. Donte Jackson had a career year last year.  Shaq Thompson had a career year."

The video lists player after player with career years under Rhule. 

Donte Jackson, Shaq Thompson. Curtis Samuel, Mike Davis, Robby Anderson, Teddy Bridgwater,  Jeremy Chinn, all had career years under Rhule.  

"Baylor and Temple wasn't getting 5 star recruits. " He developed athletes into football players and he's "putting them in the league."

"We went through a 3 and half game stretch where we didn't force any punts in 2020.  Historically, the 2020 Panthers had the second worst 3rd down defense in NFL history.  I don't think for the total year, I don't think we forced no more than 30 punts all year.  That's crazy."

"Look at the strides the defense made from that season that couldn't even force a punt...to this season, we ranked #2, I don't think we were the 2nd best defense in the league, but they were definitely a top half unit.  Those type of improvements is kinda getting overlooked because he missed so hard on the QB position, his building of the OL was atrocious until this year, he didn't really have a lot of good veteran experience in his coaching staff."

• Pie 1

21 minutes ago, poundaway said:

These guys hate Rhule.  They have been blasting him since day three.  At the same time they call them as they see them.

"We know that over time, he's proven coach that over time the team will get better.  It remains to be seen in the NFL.....He has also proven that in the NFL, guys on the fringe, are they gonna be busts?  Are they gonna pan out?  Bro, they're playing good ball. Donte Jackson had a career year last year.  Shaq Thompson had a career year."

The video lists player after player with career years under Rhule. 

Donte Jackson, Shaq Thompson. Curtis Samuel, Mike Davis, Robby Anderson, Teddy Bridgwater,  Jeremy Chinn, all had career years under Rhule.  

"Baylor and Temple wasn't getting 5 star recruits. " He developed athletes into football players and he's "putting them in the league."

"We went through a 3 and half game stretch where we didn't force any punts in 2020.  Historically, the 2020 Panthers had the second worst 3rd down defense in NFL history.  I don't think for the total year, I don't think we forced no more than 30 punts all year.  That's crazy."

"Look at the strides the defense made from that season that couldn't even force a punt...to this season, we ranked #2, I don't think we were the 2nd best defense in the league, but they were definitely a top half unit.  Those type of improvements is kinda getting overlooked because he missed so hard on the QB position, his building of the OL was atrocious until this year, he didn't really have a lot of good veteran experience in his coaching staff."

yeah, calling it like is.  College to NFL coaches rarely work. Matt Rhule had one of the weakest college resumes of any guy that has made the jump from college to pro.  

And it is playing out pretty predictably to date. 

Matt Rhule seem like a decent dude that should be coaching Western Carolina.  Not the Carolina Panthers. 

• Poo 1

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

yeah, calling it like is.  College to NFL coaches rarely work. Matt Rhule had one of the weakest college resumes of any guy that has made the jump from college to pro.  

And it is playing out pretty predictably to date. 

Matt Rhule seem like a decent dude that should be coaching Western Carolina.  Not the Carolina Panthers. 

4 man rush has more football knowledge in their pinky toes than you have in your entirety. 

You're just a hater.  Nearly every post is filled with sheer hate.

Just calling it like it is.

• Beer 1

To give Matt credit, this year was the first of his Baylor recruits to hit the big leagues and there were a handful of good ones drafted high.  He at least develops guys from HS to high draftable college level.

Pitre, Bernard, Woods, and Thornton were all really solid talents.  Woods is going to be good for LAC.

41 minutes ago, poundaway said:

4 man rush has more football knowledge in their pinky toes than you have in your entirety. 

You're just a hater.  Nearly every post is filled with sheer hate.

Just calling it like it is.

Urban Meyer knows more about football than me too.  Doesn’t mean it wasn’t easy to spot the fact he didn’t belong in the NFL. 

I’m just old enough I don’t like to see time wasted.  Which is Matt Rhule in regards to the Panthers.  

you make it personal. I’d buy Matt Rhule a beer if I saw him and I probably wouldn’t even talk about football lol.  It’s not that serious. 

• Flames 1

8 minutes ago, poundaway said:

No my friend. 

You do.

if you say so.  

People sometimes are bad at jobs.   You will meet them one day in your own life.  It doesn’t make them bad people.   It doesn’t mean you want bad things to happen to them.   It also doesn’t always mean they shouldn’t work where you are. But you are going to need someone else in that job. 

To date, Matt Rhule sucks at his job.   It is what it is.  And there were indicators he was being over promoted and would fail before it happened (which is common in the real world too). 

• Flames 1

Remember when some people would go crazy when Hurney was called a failure? 14 years, he is doing something right. Turned out very true, we are still dealing with his mess lol. Or that Ron just couldn't change, he still doing the same old up in Commieland. 

Rhule hasn't shown jack in this department that I can see. The most I can think of him doing directly is coddling Sam last year and that was not a positive in any way. I hope Wilks can coach up the DBs, he used to be very good at that job. Probably oline, tho I don't know how much that guy has left in the tank at this point in his career. Not sure on the rest of the position coaches.

As far as Rhule, he appears all mouth and little of quality anywhere else. That may sound rough or an attack but it is as nicely as I can say it. Hell appears to be a salesman and little else in my eyes.

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Actually the most interesting tidbit from that podcast was that the Panthers offered Sam Darnold and some combination of picks and/or players to 11 NFL teams and there were no takers. 

Wow.

No surprise there.

Yeah, theres a bunch of nuggets like that in most of their podcasts.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1