• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Does Rhule really think he has 5 years?

NAS

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

I believe Rhule will get 4 or 5 years but not because he will improve us, because Tepper is an idiot and cannot figure out he fuged up. It's too big of a hit to his pride to realize he has the worst head coach in the NFL. 

I think it is going to take being decisively proved to be wrong for him to come to that realization.

IMO, after another 4-6 win season in 2022 and then somewhere between a 4-7 win season in 2023, he will finally get fired.

...I hope we get a surprise this year and win 9 games optimistically...I don't want to discount the improvements on offense, but gut says 3-4... the bone is thick under the skin on teppers head.... hes definitely in the cleveland browns school of the nfl...

Edited by Pimpdaddy
  • Beer 1

46 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Deep playoffs??? Prepare yourself....

I was one of maybe 5 that defended Rhules 3rd year attempt, 99% of the huddle hated it. I do wish playoffs or with great improvements across the 3 phrases. But if you feel a deep playoff, brother you are setting yourself for a personal painful season.

Why when he lost 60% of the stats and 98% of leadership. playoffs was a must in year 2???? insane you fools. Not to mention coofus, that no one cares about now, he and his team had to figure out coaching over a screen. Look at the 2019 roster and once Rhule got here. Plus Herniay gave Rhule like 100 million in dead cap for his first 2 years as well. Rhule made mistakeS and had to learn, but dear god you people with "SUPERBOWL OR ITS A FAILURE!!!!" I wonder how that group gets among now especially with the current times...

I don't expect it, but considering how quick the turnaround is for successful teams in the league, 3 years is plenty of time for a coach to take a team to a deep run in the playoffs. That should have been the expectation, and it would have been a completely reasonable one, not the 7 years that they have been talking about to turn around a team. 

and back off the calling people fools, alright? Considering how successful coaches can turn around a teams and make even the most dysfunctional of teams into the playoffs and even a superbowl within 3-4 years (hell, we've done it here twice with new coaches taking on worse teams with worse records), it's completely reasonable and rational to expect a new coach to have their team in the playoffs within 3 years.

if Rhule can't get that done, we've got the wrong coach. The fact that we didn't improve from year 1 to year 2 is a bad sign for him and if there isn't a drastic improvement this year, then that's more evidence we hired the wrong guy. 

1 hour ago, Basbear said:

Deep playoffs??? Prepare yourself....

I was one of maybe 5 that defended Rhules 3rd year attempt, 99% of the huddle hated it. I do wish playoffs or with great improvements across the 3 phrases. But if you feel a deep playoff, brother you are setting yourself for a personal painful season.

Why when he lost 60% of the stats and 98% of leadership. playoffs was a must in year 2???? insane you fools. Not to mention coofus, that no one cares about now, he and his team had to figure out coaching over a screen. Look at the 2019 roster and once Rhule got here. Plus Herniay gave Rhule like 100 million in dead cap for his first 2 years as well. Rhule made mistakeS and had to learn, but dear god you people with "SUPERBOWL OR ITS A FAILURE!!!!" I wonder how that group gets among now especially with the current times...

Capers, Fox and Rivera all got to the postseason by year 3.   

None of those 3 inherited better situations than Matt Rhule.   

And none of them had teams that consistently got worse as the season went on each year.   Well, at the end of their tenures.  Which is why it was the end. 

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

1 hour ago, Pimpdaddy said:

...I hope we get a surprise this year and win 9 games optimistically...I don't want to discount the improvements on offense, but gut says 3-4... the bone is thick under the skin on teppers head.... hes definitely in the cleveland browns school of the nfl...

Yeah we are literally re-creating the 1999-2017 Browns. It is shocking how similar. Well...except we are worse out of the gate than they were.

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Pie 2

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

As far as the topic...

Question becomes…is Matt Rhule building anything? 5 year rebuild still means very important steps get made over the first two seasons.   We have no identity.   Nothing to show after after 2 years.  

He might be making plea to Tepper about remembering the deal.  But I’d say Rhule hasn’t upheld his part of that process to date. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, CRA said:

Capers, Fox and Rivera all got to the postseason by year 3.   

None of those 3 inherited better situations than Matt Rhule.   

And none of them had teams that consistently got worse as the season went on each year.   Well, at the end of their tenures.  Which is why it was the end. 

RR inherited the #1 draft pick overall.   Drafting the Heisman trophy winner and  national champion who carried Auburn on his back to the championship was not some ingenious move that everybody disagreed with.

RR had more draft capital in his first year, than Rhule had in two.

RR also inherited  Steve Smith, Jordan Gross, Ryan Kalil, Deangelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart.    Its like a who's who of the greatest Panthers ALL TIME.   He did trade for Greg Olsen that first year, so I'll give him that one.   But your bootstrap description of RR is PURE fantasy.

There no way in hell you compare the talent and draft capital of RR's first year to Rhule's.

🤣 
I'm beginning to think you have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

Edited by poundaway
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

21 minutes ago, poundaway said:

RR inherited the #1 draft pick overall.   Drafting the Heisman trophy winner and  national champion who carried Auburn on his back to the championship was not some ingenious move that everybody disagreed with.

RR also inherited  Steve Smith, Jordan Gross, Ryan Kalil, Deangelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart.    Its like a who's who of the greatest Panthers ALL TIME.   He did trade for Greg Olsen that first year, so I'll give him that one.   But your bootstrap description of RR is PURE fantasy.

There no way in hell you compare the talent and draft capital of RR's first year to Rhule's.

🤣 

Rhule inherited the #7 overall pick.  He also had 3 total picks in the top 2 rounds.  

Rivera only had the Cam pick.  Nothing else in the top 2. 

Rhule had better overall draft capital that first season in reality simply because of where his picks were.  

Ron’s pick clearly was a grand slam.  But he opted to do that.  That was a Ron move.   He could of gone the Matt Rhule route.  He opted not to.  Cam was not a no brainer.  It was gamble and risky pick.

Rhule inherited freaking Cam Newton.  Probably the greatest leader in franchise history.  He tossed him to the side.  That’s on Rhule.  And Cam had enough gas that year to go on to win 7 games with the actual worst roster in the NFL.   He also inherited CMC.  Best RB in the NFL.  DJ Moore who can sleep walk to 1200 yards with me throwing him the football.   Moton.  Jackson.  Shaq.  Basically leadership and talent at every level.  

Ron, Fox and Capers all walked into poo too.   All inherited teams that at most won 2 games.  None walked into the door with a leader like Cam Newton or a talent like CMC.  Only Rhule had that.   

Coming off Fox/Rivera we were due a lemon.  We we got it.   Rhule is clueless.  And we don’t need to give him a half decade to get a clue.   

21 minutes ago, poundaway said:

🤣 

"Inheriting the #1 pick" happens because your team is the worst in the NFL.

That means Rivera built up from the worst team in the league to a Super Bowl team (once Marty was gone, of course).

And as far as those draft picks that were traded away, Rhule had final say on those transactions.

Guessing you don't realize it, but your post actually makes Rhule look worse.

• Poo 1

What I have not seen mentioned about the previous coaches is that yes they did get the team in the playoffs in short order but they couldn't build on that success.  It was always a one hit wonder with those guys.

It's easy to assemble a playoff team in a couple of seasons if you have enough talent on the team from the jump. It is much more difficult to build a perennial contender.  That takes years of smart drafting and selective FA signings to keep the team strong and competitive. 

In short, yes previous coaches had success sooner but they could not sustain it because they didn't know how. If the had they would still be here. I say that as someone who is not a Matt Rhule fan and I hate to even have to bring it up.

• Beer 2

Maybe Tepper is going to adjust it to dog years!! It’s in McAdoo’s court!! Darnold wasn’t on his highest qb rating.. Cam still there but not the same!! I really don’t want Baker!! If we must do it Jimmy G might be the guy.. but he won’t be ready til October.. so as I said Mc Adoo will take over.. just seems Rhule as come to the point he’s over his head 

3 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

What I have not seen mentioned about the previous coaches is that yes they did get the team in the playoffs in short order but they couldn't build on that success.  It was always a one hit wonder with those guys.

It's easy to assemble a playoff team in a couple of seasons if you have enough talent on the team from the jump. It is much more difficult to build a perennial contender.  That takes years of smart drafting and selective FA signings to keep the team strong and competitive. 

In short, yes previous coaches had success sooner but they could not sustain it because they didn't know how. If the had they would still be here. I say that as someone who is not a Matt Rhule fan and I hate to even have to bring it up.

Ron went to the playoffs 4 times in 5 years.  That’s pretty good window.  

Fox went to the NFCCG 2 times in a 3 year span. 

I think sometimes the no back to back winning season thing can get a tad overplayed.  I mean you can find teams that pulled off back to back winning seasons in those windows above….and they were less successful in reality than Carolina. 

Just now, CRA said:

Ron went to the playoffs 4 times in 5 years.  That’s pretty good window.  

Fox went to the NFCCG 2 times in a 3 year span. 

I think sometimes the no back to back winning season thing can get a tad overplayed.  I mean you can find teams that pulled off back to back winning seasons in those windows above….and they were less successful in reality than Carolina. 

If you are just looking for an occasional winning season and playoff appearance now and then I guess it's good enough for some.

Sustainable success means owning the nfcs and being at the top of the nfc every damn season.  Not once every 10 years.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1