• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Report: Panthers staff not all on same page about acquiring Browns QB Baker Mayfield

12 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

No distractions for the team.  Sam will pretty much keep his mouth shut and do what the coaches ask him.  Still younger and might do him some good to sit as a backup for a while and try to learn to read defenses better.  

I get why they would like to deal Baker.  Still don't see why they would bother with Sam Darnold.  The narrative of but Sam could totally get better just doesn't have teeth at this point.   He doesn't fit the backup criteria IMO.   They would still need that role filled. 

and Baker isnt' really a distraction at this point.  He is just going to be off to the side.   I still think they are worried about about cutting him because of the Pitt pickup fear. 

So they can just sit on Baker as an asset and see if injuries make him more attractive. 

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Lol. I think we can all just jettison the idea of Sam Darnold at this point. He is who he is. He's basically doubled down on what hasn't worked, so he probably has 2-3 years left as an NFL player.

Oh I think he doesn't have what it takes, but it wouldn't hurt the kid to sit and observe for a while.  Maybe he learns enough to be a capable backup, but I doubt it.  He flashed enough potential from time to time on the Jets and yes even last year to possible have a career jumping from team to team's depth chart collecting a check.  

4 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

He told me that Sam was on his way out in Carolina. He said the team wasn't going to re-sign him. You heard it here first.

I don't believe you. This is the year. It was all because he didn't have an oline yet and he plays so much better with time in the pocket...That would be like throwing away a diamond because it's still just coal!

• Flames 1

4 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Oh I think he doesn't have what it takes, but it wouldn't hurt the kid to sit and observe for a while.  Maybe he learns enough to be a capable backup, but I doubt it.  He flashed enough potential from time to time on the Jets and yes even last year to possible have a career jumping from team to team's depth chart collecting a check.  

He would be best served as a vet minimum 3rd stringer, IMO. That allows him to just basically be around better players and watch them work, while the team not having to rely on him seeing the field in anything other than a scenario where they are likely to lose anyway. Could he develop some in that case? Possibly. But that also requires that he put in the work to improve and I think the results show he doesn't do that or can't accomplish that.

He'll be a sad, funny footnote in Panthers history like Jimmy Clausen was.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, Waldo said:

I don't believe you. This is the year. It was all because he didn't have an oline yet and he plays so much better with time in the pocket...That would be like throwing away a diamond because it's still just coal!

Don't shoot the messenger. 

• The D 1

Just now, Jon Snow said:

I hope you didn't think I was either.  I certainly wasn't taking any of this seriously. 

Only the last post. Around here the ability to differentiate between someone poking for fun and an actual stance is lost as we slip down the Tepper shaped hole.

• Beer 1

34 minutes ago, stbugs said:

This was in my post earlier that came right from her article you linked.

Next couple weeks sure seems like on the verge to me.

Her article was dated April 16th.

The Panthers and Browns we're reported to be negotiating as of Draft days 1 and 2 (April 28th and 29th).

Where was she wrong again?

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Her article was dated April 16th.

The Panthers and Browns we're reported to be negotiating as of Draft days 1 and 2 (April 28th and 29th).

Where was she wrong again?

Plus she literally did say "it could happen." That is far from a definitive statement.