• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Official Canes Off-season Thread

9 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Eh, his cheap streak is enough to do him in. He lets players walk for less than we have “budgeted” for them. 

We are maxed up to a flat cap, besides the fact we don't need a Winger. 

"Cheapness" is an invalid perception, FL just got screwed with no lube.... Huberdeu>>>>Tkatchuck

plus Weeger and a 1st? Pass. 

• Pie 1

23 minutes ago, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

We are maxed up to a flat cap, besides the fact we don't need a Winger. 

"Cheapness" is an invalid perception, FL just got screwed with no lube.... Huberdeu>>>>Tkatchuck

plus Weeger and a 1st? Pass. 

Oh I’m not talking Florida, Florida got royal screwed as a whole and it is Hilarious. I’m talking the half dozen or so GOOD players we let walk for mediocre replacements when those players signed for less than market value elsewhere. So that tells me it’s either a FO or coaching issue. And I don’t want to get down on RBA especially at the beginning of possibly his last year as coach here. So that leaves Waddell. 

We do need a winger, we need a grit winger that can play third line. Maybe that is paci. But I really feel like we are trying to put paci on 2, as has been theorized here. So where does that leave us with a grit LW? 

Edited by Harbingers
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, Harbingers said:

Hockey never makes any sense. Yes let’s trade two of our best players. 

If Huberdeau signs an extension in Calgary and it’s comparable to Tkachuk’s new contract in Florida then Florida got absolutely fleeced.

Huberdeau is arguably a better player than Tkachuk and Weegar is a very good top four defenseman and is a fringe top paring defenseman. I’m not familiar with Schwindt but he looks to have bottom six capability. Not to mention Calgary got a first round pick out of the deal as well.

Edited by MillionDollarCam
  • Pie 1

11 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Oh I’m not talking Florida, Florida got royal screwed as a whole and it is Hilarious. I’m talking the half dozen or so GOOD players we let walk for mediocre replacements when those players signed for less than market value elsewhere. So that tells me it’s either a FO or coaching issue. And I don’t want to get down on RBA especially at the beginning of possibly his last year as coach here. So that leaves Waddell. 

We do need a winger, we need a grit winger that can play third line. Maybe that is paci. But I really feel like we are trying to put paci on 2, as has been theorized here. So where does that leave us with a grit LW? 

A grit winger will be a cheap trade buy at some point in season, its just my opinion but the Canes tend to get guys are are average to play at a "good" level under RBAs system (Foegle, McGinnis, Nino ect) this move doesn't move the needle for either team, the Canes right now albeit with a *?* as go who steps in a 2C (Don't be surprised to see Jarvis or Necas break out here instead of KK) possibly even Drury as he's a beast on the dot.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

A grit winger will be a cheap trade buy at some point in season, its just my opinion but the Canes tend to get guys are are average to play at a "good" level under RBAs system (Foegle, McGinnis, Nino ect) this move doesn't move the needle for either team, the Canes right now albeit with a *?* as go who steps in a 2C (Don't be surprised to see Jarvis or Necas break out here instead of KK) possibly even Drury as he's a beast on the dot.

Exactly! Drury and Jarvis could have an absolute monster season. If that happens the canes are light-years better than they were last year. We don’t have to make trades and keep average players to be great. We’ve drafted extremely well and it’s about to pay off next year. Svechnikov and Aho yet Necas had a really good year two years ago. If that same thing happens next year watch the fug out. 

• Pie 1

25 minutes ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

Let me ask y’all this? Anything short of a Stanley Cup or Eastern conference finals win would be a disappointing season. What do you think? What is our bar next year? Is it Stanley Cup or bust?

Depends on if they believe the window is opening or closing. As of this moment, only 11 players are under contract for 2023 and that doesn't include any goaltenders. Likely Stahl calls it a career and the group of unrestricted FAs includes:

Pacioretty, Fast, Case, Gardiner, Andersen and Raanta.

Taravainen, Aho and Pesce the year after that. 

The Canes better hope their young guns begin to produce or they'll be chasing their tail every year.

I just don't see this group making the finals. I think it's possible they are in for a regression.

2 hours ago, Raleigh PF said:

Depends on if they believe the window is opening or closing. As of this moment, only 11 players are under contract for 2023 and that doesn't include any goaltenders. Likely Stahl calls it a career and the group of unrestricted FAs includes:

Pacioretty, Fast, Case, Gardiner, Andersen and Raanta.

Taravainen, Aho and Pesce the year after that. 

The Canes better hope their young guns begin to produce or they'll be chasing their tail every year.

I just don't see this group making the finals. I think it's possible they are in for a regression.

We appear to be content with just making the playoffs.

5 hours ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

Let me ask y’all this? Anything short of a Stanley Cup or Eastern conference finals win would be a disappointing season. What do you think? What is our bar next year? Is it Stanley Cup or bust?

General consensus is we have the best roster in the NHL I'd consider anything less than a Finals appearance a disappointment.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Regardless of the opinions of Waddell, rumors are that Tkachuk was headed to Carolina before Florida stepped in at the last minute… the deal had even progressed to Tkachuk indicating that he’d be willing to go to Carolina. However, Florida stepped in at the last minute. I for one am glad that we didn’t try to go toe to toe with the package that Florida sent to Calgary. There are other options out there like Tarasenko and Kane which will be less expensive.

• Pie 2

51 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Regardless of the opinions of Waddell, rumors are that Tkachuk was headed to Carolina before Florida stepped in at the last minute… the deal had even progressed to Tkachuk indicating that he’d be willing to go to Carolina. However, Florida stepped in at the last minute. I for one am glad that we didn’t try to go toe to toe with the package that Florida sent to Calgary. There are other options out there like Tarasenko and Kane which will be less expensive.

Tkachuk would be perfect for this team. Just curious what it would have cost in the trade to get him. Obviously a lot. 

Edited by GamecockSmitty4
  • Pie 1

9 minutes ago, GamecockSmitty4 said:

Tkachuk would be perfect for this team. Just curious what it would have cost in the trade to get him. Obviously a lot. 

There’s a relatively new Twitter account out there that has been calling all of the Canes moves before they happen, that account stated that they weren’t at liberty to discuss what our offer was but that individual did state that they are glad that we didn’t try to outbid Florida.

• Pie 1